Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? (/Thread-Am-I-allowed-to-choose-any-minor-s-for-the-BLS)

Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? - 875876 - 09-15-2024

Can I only choose what is officially offered or can I do something like BLS with minors in English and History?

RE: Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? - RachelB - 09-15-2024

(09-15-2024, 01:40 PM)875876 Wrote: Can I only choose what is officially offered or can I do something like BLS with minors in English and History?

You can do whatever minors are offered at UMPI, as long as you're able to complete the required classes through a combination of YourPace classes and transfer courses.

ETA: I believe the catalog states that at least 9 credit hours of the minor have to be classes taken at UMPI, but you'll want to double-check that.

RE: Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? - lynnii2 - 09-15-2024

(09-15-2024, 01:40 PM)875876 Wrote: Can I only choose what is officially offered or can I do something like BLS with minors in English and History?

Check this link out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ehz4BAZO-_DZjZ1H4MujT-VjndIy_Ovr6xjyrekMJ1o/edit?pli=1&gid=752713543#gid=752713543

RE: Am I allowed to choose any minor(s) for the BLS? - dm.hans32 - 09-15-2024

The best advice I have been given is to pick one of the minors offered with the Yourpace BLS program (you can find them in the dropdown list on the YP application. BLS-History is on there).

Any minor that is offered by UMPI is theoretically eligible for the BLS program, provided that you can meet all of the requirements by taking the courses through YP or transferring them in.

Once you choose your program, you can request up to two additional minors (a total of three). Just be sure that you can actually complete the minors you've selected, as not all classes are available on YP. (example- Intro to Philosophy is not offered through YP but is required for pre-law).

For the Major/Minor portion, I like to think of the first minor as just part of the major. For the first minor, 12 credits must be taken at UMPI. And of those 12, 9 must be upper level. Sometimes swapping out/in a minor may be beneficial (For example, having enough transfer credits for a History minor won't satisfy the residency requirement for your first minor, but it can count as an additional minor and could help satisfy UL electives)

The next requirement is to have an additional 24 upper level electives, which cannot be part of your major or first minor. This is where people can add on additional minors and get really creative with their BLS degrees, considering the 30 credit residency requirement. (For example, I'm nearly done with a BLS-History, Criminal Justice and Political Science).

Second/third minors have no residency requirement but require 9 unique credits that are not used by another other minor. Certain minors may require a different number of credits as well. For the record, gen eds are NOT considered part of the Maj/Min, so for example POS101 US Gov could count as 3 unique credits for a Political Science minor. Some classes are cross-posted (for example, History and Poli Sci) and can count towards credit in either one or both minors, as long as there are enough unique credits for each minor.

This is what I've been told by both my advisor and learning coach. There's a few hidden rules along the way, but once you navigate through those and put together a plan, you can get a pretty unique degree (and that's what the BLS program is all about!).