Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Pierpont and other Associates Degrees (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Pierpont-and-other-Associates-Degrees)
+--- Thread: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 (/Thread-Pierpont-BOG-requirement-register-before-10-4-24)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Jkjy - 08-31-2024

Hello Everyone,
I am new to Pierpont and the BOG AAS program, and I am reaching out to seek your advice on how best to proceed with my course registration and transfer of credits.
I understand that Pierpont has a residency requirement, effective October 4, 2024, which mandates that students complete 12 credit hours of coursework directly through Pierpont, with passing grades, in order to graduate. Given this, I wanted to ask for your guidance on the following:
  1. I have 3 more courses to finish through Sophia Learning, and I am eager to register for Pierpont courses as soon as possible. However, I am concerned about the timing. Am I too late to register to transfer my credits from Sophia and my local college to graduate for the upcoming term, considering the new residency requirement?
  2. Should I prioritize registering for Pierpont courses immediately and continue working on my Sophia courses simultaneously, or would it be better to finish all courses at Sophia before registering?
  3. Am I taking acceptable courses that align with the program requirements?
To give you a better idea of my progress, here are the credits I have already earned, with the underlined courses I am currently working on:
Communication (3 Credits)
  • Workplace Communication (Sophia)
Math & Science (6 Credits)
  • College Algebra (Local Community College)
  • Introduction to Statistics (Sophia)
Social Sciences (3 Credits)
  • Macroeconomics (Sophia)
Computer Literacy (3 Credits)
  • Introduction to Information Technology (Sophia)
Free Electives (all from Sophia)
  • Critical Thinking (3 Credits)
  • Public Speaking (3 Credits)
  • Health and Wellness (3 Credits)
  • Introduction to Nutrition (3 Credits)
  • Art History I (3 Credits)
  • Art History II (3 Credits)
  • Introduction to Ethics (3 Credits)
  • Financial Accounting (3 Credits)
  • Introduction to Business (3 Credits)
  • Principles of Finance (3 Credits)
  • Project Management (3 Credits)
  • Conflict Resolution (3 Credits)
  • Human Biology (3 Credits)
  • US History I (3 Credits)
I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to proceed, as I am eager to complete my degree with Sophia credits only.
Thank you for your time and assistance.

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - bjcheung77 - 08-31-2024

Welcome to the board, great intro post with some information... Seems like you've got all the info, graded credit, and all the requirements prior to the upcoming change... Apply for graduation asap and wait for December 2024 graduation, don't spam them, and continue working on your Sophia.org towards a Bachelors for the time being...

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Jkjy - 08-31-2024

Thank you VERY much for your advice. I will apply for graduation as soon as possible.

Could you please help me understand the process for the application? Do I need to create an account, submit the online application, and then apply for graduation? And when do I transfer credits and pay? I am not familiar with this process and would like your help.

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Hotdogman1 - 08-31-2024

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
Look under "Application Process"

Basically:
1. Complete Pierpont application and apply. Submit transcripts immediately or as soon as possible.
2. Wait a week or two for mail correspondence. This mail should contain credentials to access your Pierpont Student account but everyone I've helped got the mail but didn't get the credentials. We've always had to contact IT for the credentials.
3. When you initially sign in to the Pierpont Portal with your credentials, do not add @student.pierpont.edu to your username. There is a bug where it give you a "HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden" and denies you access to ROAR.
4. It should take you 4-5 weeks for your credits to get processed, which will show up in ROAR under "unofficial transcript".
5. Once your credit pop up, you can apply for graduation. You can do this by contacting the new program director via your student email. Once everything has been verified by the program director, they will provide you an "Application for Graduation" which you will have to submit to the Assistant Registrar (I still think it's Lisa Phillips)
6. You will pay the $350 student fee after the "Application for Graduation" after it gets processed, which may take several days. The last time I helped someone (Spring 2024) this took about 6 business days.

(08-31-2024, 06:12 PM)Hotdogman1 Wrote: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
Look under "Application Process"

Basically:
1. Complete Pierpont application and apply. Submit transcripts immediately or as soon as possible.
2. Wait a week or two for mail correspondence. This mail should contain credentials to access your Pierpont Student account but everyone I've helped got the mail but didn't get the credentials. We've always had to contact IT for the credentials.
3. When you initially sign in to the Pierpont Portal with your credentials, do not add @student.pierpont.edu to your username. There is a bug where it give you a "HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden" and denies you access to ROAR.
4. It should take you 4-5 weeks for your credits to get processed, which will show up in ROAR under "unofficial transcript".
5. Once your credit pop up, you can apply for graduation. You can do this by contacting the new program director via your student email. Once everything has been verified by the program director, they will provide you an "Application for Graduation" which you will have to submit to the Assistant Registrar (I still think it's Lisa Phillips)
6. You will pay the $350 student fee after the "Application for Graduation" after it gets processed, which may take several days. The last time I helped someone (Spring 2024) this took about 6 business days.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I want to clarify: does it mean that if my credit transfer process was slow and I was unable to apply for graduation before October 4, 2024, I would not be able to receive my BOG degree with only Sophia? Or do my credits just need to be submitted before October 4, 2024, even if they don’t appear on my record by that date?

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Hotdogman1 - 08-31-2024

It was my understanding that you would have to apply for the BOG and submit your transcripts by 10/4. However, I am not entirely sure and it is very possible I am completely wrong.

I would recommend you apply for the program as soon as possible (today, the application is free). From your initial post, it seems like you currently have 57 total credits. I would transfer in your local community college credits first and submit your Credly transcript as soon as you complete one more course. You only need 60 credits so do not wait to complete the other 2 courses. You can submit the Sophia transcript via Credly or Sophia themselves. I have only submitted via Credly: you receive a completion badge from Sophia once you complete a course and you can send your transcript for free.

I am helping my brother out and the timeline has been much slower than normal. While I hope this experience is an outlier, there have been similar posts recently. Please apply as fast as you can.
6/24 applied and submitted transcripts electronically from 2 universities and Credly.
6/26 accepted
7/10 mail with no credentials arrived. Brother called IT and got credentials, also called Admissions and confirmed they received every transcript the previous week and were being processed.
8/31 ROAR still empty: nothing has been processed yet...
The delay is out of the norm from my experiences at Pierpont, but the combination of the recent changes coinciding with the start of the fall semester may explain it. He will be calling the Admissions office on Monday.

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - bryceton - 08-31-2024

(08-31-2024, 08:32 PM)Hotdogman1 Wrote: It was my understanding that you would have to apply for the BOG and submit your transcripts by 10/4. However, I am not entirely sure and it is very possible I am completely wrong.

I would recommend you apply for the program as soon as possible (today, the application is free). From your initial post, it seems like you currently have 57 total credits. I would transfer in your local community college credits first and submit your Credly transcript as soon as you complete one more course. You only need 60 credits so do not wait to complete the other 2 courses. You can submit the Sophia transcript via Credly or Sophia themselves. I have only submitted via Credly: you receive a completion badge from Sophia once you complete a course and you can send your transcript for free.

I am helping my brother out and the timeline has been much slower than normal. While I hope this experience is an outlier, there have been similar posts recently. Please apply as fast as you can.
6/24 applied and submitted transcripts electronically from 2 universities and Credly.
6/26 accepted
7/10 mail with no credentials arrived. Brother called IT and got credentials, also called Admissions and confirmed they received every transcript the previous week and were being processed.
The delay is out of the norm from my experiences at Pierpont, but the combination of the recent changes coinciding with the start of the fall semester may explain it. He will be calling the Admissions office on Monday.
Sounds slow, newer applications are faster.
when i applied i guess close to two weeks ago login info was automatically sent by email at midnight the next day. Almost certainly before anyone looked at the application. My credits i transfered in were all processed and on Roar one day after transferring in too ...

RE: Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 - Old Guy - 08-31-2024

"BOG students without an approved application for graduation and degree audit for fall 2024 or those who apply to the institution after October 4, 2024, declaring the BOG (AAS) degree, will be required to complete 12 credit hours of Pierpont residential credit."

Sounds like the requirement is that you must apply by October 4 OR have approved application and audit for fall 2024. Seems like one or the other is okay. It sounds like October 4 is not a hard deadline if you can be processed in time for December graduation. That short of timeline hasn't been working lately. Whether what they seem to say is what they really mean could be another story.

(08-31-2024, 08:56 PM)Old Guy Wrote: "BOG students without an approved application for graduation and degree audit for fall 2024 or those who apply to the institution after October 4, 2024, declaring the BOG (AAS) degree, will be required to complete 12 credit hours of Pierpont residential credit."

Sounds like the requirement is that you must apply by October 4 OR have approved application and audit for fall 2024.  Seems like one or the other is okay.  It sounds like October 4 is not a hard deadline if you can be processed in time for December graduation.  That short of timeline hasn't been working lately.  Whether what they seem to say is what they really mean could be another story.

It looks like the Application for Graduation deadline for Fall 2024 is October 4th as well.
https://www.pierpont.edu/resources/graduation-information/

So the OP has to apply, get credits processed, and apply for graduation by 10/4 since he needs to have an approved "application for graduation and degree audit for 2024". Hopefully your experiences are closer to Bryceton's than my brother's. I'm pretty sure they just accidentally skipped his application

(08-31-2024, 08:32 PM)Hotdogman1 Wrote: It was my understanding that you would have to apply for the BOG and submit your transcripts by 10/4. However, I am not entirely sure and it is very possible I am completely wrong.

6/26 accepted
Thank you very much for your advice! I just applied for the program and sent my transcript from my previous college. I will finish the Sophia course tonight and send that in as well.