Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI (/Thread-English-Comp-II-on-Sophia-vs-at-UMPI)

Pages: 1 2

English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - colonelcamp - 07-18-2024

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on a question I'm pondering. I'm starting UMPI on September 3rd and I'm considering doing the Sophia version of English Comp II freeing up that slot for another elective. Ever since I've been on this forum, I've heard most people advising to leave this course to UMPI because it's much easier there. Another reason I'm thinking of doing the Sophia version is to go into September with a running start, as far as writing goes, as opposed to starting cold. 

What do you guys think? Is Sophia really that muh harder? I happen to write somewhat well and actually enjoy the process. 

Thx!

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - ss20ts - 07-18-2024

Workplace Writing 2 from Sophia will also transfer in for ENG121. It has 1 less paper than Eng Comp 2.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - jg_nuy - 07-18-2024

Grading also tends to be much faster for Workplace Writing 2.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - bjcheung77 - 07-18-2024

The reason to take classes at UMPI is because of residency requirements, if you can transfer in the max of 90 and take the 'easier' classes at UMPI, that would be better for you. Decide what the 10 classes you need are by creating a degree plan and linking us to that viewable (non-editable) spreadsheet...

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - Yuksilk - 07-25-2024

It seems that most people on this site think that UMPI offers a more easier version of this course,

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - ss20ts - 07-25-2024

(07-25-2024, 05:06 AM)Yuksilk Wrote: It seems that most people on this site think that UMPI offers a more easier version of this course,

Depends on the dates of the posts you're reading. UMPI changed platforms last year and the courses changed.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - slaterjack - 07-25-2024

I never really wrote papers before until I started at UMPI and now I'm a pro, The eng comp classes were not hard at all the professor was good too. They were much easier to get through then I ever thought they'd be.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - LevelUP - 07-25-2024

We have some professional writers who were given poor grades in UMPI's English courses. 

I lean towards recommending people take English courses outside UMPI.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - natshar - 07-26-2024

Another option is for someone who struggles with writing and/or wants an actual "RA class" not just ACE credit like Sophia, is try ASU Universal learner or maybe a local CC. Idk about all CC's but both near me offer 7 week courses in English Comp II both online or in person. Personally, I feel like its important not to skimp on English Comp classes, particularly if you are weak on writing. Its the foundation for the undergraduate courses, and not knowing how to write a paper and/or having poor writing skills would show long term.

RE: English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI - bjcheung77 - 07-26-2024

(07-25-2024, 05:06 AM)Yuksilk Wrote: It seems that most people on this site think that UMPI offers a more easier version of this course,

I would suggest people take the classes at UMPI over ACE/NCCRS options as you want to max the transfer of credits, but, at the same time, transfer in classes that hit different spots to max the utility of the credits. In other words, decide what 10 classes you want to finish at UMPI are, if it's the BA or BABA options, you'll need to take more classes in the major that many can't be transferred from, this is when you can take the English I/II from ACE/NCCRS. If it was the BAS/BLS and starting from 0 credits, I would take it as part of the 10 required classes.