Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Guidance Requested - Degree Planning Help - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Pierpont and other Associates Degrees (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Pierpont-and-other-Associates-Degrees)
+--- Thread: Guidance Requested - Degree Planning Help (/Thread-Guidance-Requested-Degree-Planning-Help)

Pages: 1 2

Guidance Requested - Degree Planning Help - bandito_crispeta - 06-26-2024

Hello!
I was born and raised out of the USA. I became a citizen this year, and I can finally make time to pursue an education. This is my biggest desire right now. 

I do have a high school diploma, which will have to be translated into English, and I will be working on that this weekend. 

My plan is to get a bachelor's in business. I plan on taking as many credits as I can through Sophia. Someone told me recently that I could transfer those credits into pierpoint and get a Board of Governors A.A.S. and then I can transfer to UMPI. I am considering Liberty University online as well. 
I am so confused with all the terminology used in the education system... A.S. vs A.A.S... I have a loooong journey ahead of me. 

Some people have mentioned an A.A.S. is not something you want to display on your resume (why not?), and that I'm better off just getting my credits from Sophia and then transferring them to the school where I want to get my bachelor's from. I will be 40 in 2 years. I want to do accelerated education to get my bachelor's in the least amount of time, and at low cost. 

Are there any students on here than can offer me guidance as to what are the steps I need to follow to achieve the above? 
Can you please tell me if you also had to get your HS transcripts, have that translated as well and then calculate your GPA?

Someone please help!!!!

Any general advice will be highly appreciated it. Should I contact Nancy from Pierpoint and tell her my story and see what she says?

Thank you.

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - Avidreader - 06-27-2024

Pierpont never requested an English translation of my Spanish language highschool diploma, you can do Sophia and the ASU 1 credit course. Actfl exams are an option to get credits real fast if you speak a widely spoken language.

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - LevelUP - 06-27-2024

I would suggest getting a GED.  That may make things easier.

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - bandito_crispeta - 06-27-2024

(06-27-2024, 03:24 AM)Avidreader Wrote: Pierpont never requested an English translation of my Spanish language highschool diploma, you can do Sophia and the ASU 1 credit course. Actfl exams are an option to get credits real fast if you speak a widely spoken language.
Good morning!
Thank you for your response. I also have a HS diploma in Spanish. I should have mentioned that I also have a diploma, in English, from technical school. That's where I learned English back in my home country. It was a technical degree for executive bilingual assistant. 
Also, I work as a medical interpreter here in the US. I had to take fluency tests to prove I speak Spanish fluently.
I am fully bilingual and a trained medical interpreter. 
In that case, I don't think I will need the ACTFL test. 

Do you mind if I dm you about your process when you did all of this? I really really need some help. I want to start doing things ASAP. Thank you.

(06-27-2024, 03:31 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would suggest getting a GED.  That may make things easier.

Thank you! I suck at math lol and math here is a little different that how I was taught in my home country. 
I really don't want to do a GED.. I will consider it, though. 
Thank you.

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - bjcheung77 - 06-27-2024

@bandito_crispeta, Welcome to the board! Great initial post and update! It's great to ask questions to get started in your education journey. My suggestion is to follow your gut and get the balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience, you can exactly what you mentioned in your post.

Start with Pierpont BOG AAS, ladder to that UMPI BAS, and then finish with the UMPI MAOL.  You're just missing the addendum plus template here, we know some basic info, but with more details, we'll be able to assist you further: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

I just made a few Flicki and InVideo short clips explaining briefly these steps! Review all my short clips, especially the Climb the degree ladder: Pierpont to UMPI https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-InVideo-AI-Interesting-concept-for-faceless-videos

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - allvia - 06-27-2024

You clearly stated you want a Bachelor in Business, you're over 20, and you do have a high school diploma (that you have the ability to provide). I would recommend you not waste time (or money) and just go to UMPI for a BABA (minor of your choice, but M&L is known to be the quickest).  Here is the Wiki page for it: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UMPI_BABA_Management_%26_Leadership_Degree_Plan

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - Pikachu - 06-27-2024

(06-27-2024, 06:46 AM)bandito_crispeta Wrote: Thank you! I suck at math lol and math here is a little different that how I was taught in my home country. 
Thank you.
The math in GED is pretty easy. You can give the GED Ready Math to see where you stand - it's only $7: https://www.ged.com/study/ged_ready/

RE: GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS WITH OUT OF THE COUNTRY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA - bandito_crispeta - 07-07-2024

(06-27-2024, 06:46 AM)bandito_crispeta Wrote:
(06-27-2024, 03:24 AM)Avidreader Wrote: Pierpont never requested an English translation of my Spanish language highschool diploma, you can do Sophia and the ASU 1 credit course. Actfl exams are an option to get credits real fast if you speak a widely spoken language.
Good morning!
Thank you for your response. I also have a HS diploma in Spanish. I should have mentioned that I also have a diploma, in English, from technical school. That's where I learned English back in my home country. It was a technical degree for executive bilingual assistant. 
Also, I work as a medical interpreter here in the US. I had to take fluency tests to prove I speak Spanish fluently.
I am fully bilingual and a trained medical interpreter. 
In that case, I don't think I will need the ACTFL test. 

Do you mind if I dm you about your process when you did all of this? I really really need some help. I want to start doing things ASAP. Thank you.

(06-27-2024, 03:31 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I would suggest getting a GED.  That may make things easier.

Thank you! I suck at math lol and math here is a little different that how I was taught in my home country. 
Thank you.
@avidreader I saw your PM but I can't reply to you. It says you do not accept replies. Could you please change it? I have some questions. Thank you.

RE: Guidance Requested - Degree Planning Help - Old Guy - 07-07-2024

If you have all the courses you need at Pierpont, they don't require a high school diploma. They never received my daughter's and they told her it wasn't necessary. I believe having an associates degree will make it so a high school diploma is not required at UMPI either but that should be confirmed. Taking a Pierpont AAS doesn't add one course to an UMPI degree, just added cost.

RE: Guidance Requested - Degree Planning Help - bandito_crispeta - 07-07-2024

(07-07-2024, 10:42 PM)Old Guy Wrote: If you have all the courses you need at Pierpont, they don't require a high school diploma.  They never received my daughter's and they told her it wasn't necessary.  I believe having an associates degree will make it so a high school diploma is not required at UMPI either but that should be confirmed. Taking a Pierpont AAS doesn't add one course to an UMPI degree, just added cost.

So then, would you say it is best to simply do my Sophia courses and just jump to my bachelor's? I am debating between BABA and BLS.
Thank you Smile