Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+---- Forum: Doctorate Degree Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Doctorate-Degree-Discussion)
+---- Thread: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology (/Thread-Capitol-Technology-University-PhD-in-Cyberpsychology)

Pages: 1 2 3

Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - Sarit1046 - 04-12-2024

Hi all, I've seen a couple other posts here re: Capitol Tech's PhD programs and want to hear from other folks regarding experiences with the European model curriculum of all courses having no content aside from preparation for the final deliverable. In this case, I've chosen the publication route (publishing three articles in peer-reviewed journals) as opposed to the dissertation route. Due to the degree costing $54k USD and facing intermittent financial challenges between work and family these past few years, I have been in and out of registering but kept in contact with my chair. As a result, I managed to have all three articles completed and accepted to approved peer-reviewed journals as per protocol, without completing the majority of the courses. I was informed that the $48k of remaining courses besides the Defense course (which would make sense to take) are all required and in the order in which they are listed - no exceptions. 

I am curious if anyone has faced this dilemma before and, if so, would you consider spending that much money on basically contentless courses? I am aware I got myself into this pickle, I was just really invested in carrying out my research by any means, and at the end of the day, while chances are slim I will earn the degree now, I wanted to ask here for any similar experiences.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - sanantone - 04-12-2024

I'm curious, did they require a minimum impact score or quartile for those journals?

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - Sarit1046 - 04-12-2024

(04-12-2024, 05:05 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm curious, did they require a minimum impact score or quartile for those journals?

Good question, I haven't been able to gauge any standards for the journals aside from them being peer-reviewed. The degree is practitioner-focused rather than purely academic, so that might also factor in.

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - bjcheung77 - 04-12-2024

Sarit1046 Wrote:I am curious if anyone has faced this dilemma before and, if so, would you consider spending that much money on basically contentless courses?

Good question, I haven't been able to gauge any standards for the journals aside from them being peer-reviewed. The degree is practitioner-focused rather than purely academic, so that might also factor in.

How do you know these courses are contentless? Does it not teach much because it being practitioner focused versus being more academic in content? I think it really depends on how people perceive what is being taught and the content...

Questions for you, what was your undergrad and grad, where did you take them? Are you merging your subject matter interests in Cybersecurity and Psychology and trying to get into this PhD Cyberpsychology? What's your budget?

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - Sarit1046 - 04-12-2024

(04-12-2024, 09:44 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Sarit1046 Wrote:I am curious if anyone has faced this dilemma before and, if so, would you consider spending that much money on basically contentless courses?

How do you know these courses are contentless?  Does it not teach much because it being practitioner focused versus being more academic in content? I think it really depends on how people perceive what is being taught and the content...

Questions for you, what was your undergrad and grad, where did you take them?  Are you merging your subject matter interests in Cybersecurity and Psychology and trying to get into this PhD Cyberpsychology?  What's your budget?

The curriculum lets you view them, and they consist only of weekly reports summarizing in as short of replies as desired the progress you've made with your chair. The classes don't have any reading material or assignments, so it's completely independent research which I actually enjoy, but taking so many courses meant to be to prepare a deliverable that's already complete is hard to justify, at least for me. 

My budget would only cover one course per semester, and there are nine outstanding courses, but except for the one Defense course, all others would be obsolete now. 

As far as occupation, I have a background in cybersecurity and counterterrorism, with a special interest in psychology and healthcare. My research focuses on the security side of cyberpsychology.

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - bjcheung77 - 04-13-2024

Here's a thread post you may want to review: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Intl-future-student-looking-for-guidance?pid=417351#pid417351
You may want to review this too: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-DBA-degree-online-2-3-years-top-US-or-UK-school-accredited?pid=416184#pid416184
Last but not least, this one here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-15000-Doctorate-NA?pid=414570#pid414570

Question, did you spend 6K already on the 3 articles portion of the degree? What's your end goal? I am asking questions to get a bigger picture of your scenario as you haven't filled us in with much details of your undergrad, grad, or items looked for in the addendum and template.  I re-read your initial post "while chances are slim I will earn the degree now", are you going forward with CTU PhD?

It really depends on the whole picture, where did you do your undergrad/grad and what was it in? I'll explain, personalized progression is the main thing I look at now... Previously, people, including myself, looked at the combo of cheap, easy, fast. I then pivoted to adding ROI/Value, having said that, nowadays, I like to personalize and make sure there is proper progression.

You need a backup plan just in case, as you mentioned going forward with CTU but chances are slim... Example I use often is Supermind, TESU AS Math plus BALS Psych, ladder to Walden MS Psych, add PSY CHI society membership. It comes from a public/state institution first as a backbone/starting point, exclusive online Masters as a ladder, finish with additional membership.

If I know where you got your degrees from and the specializations, I'll further be able to personalize and make sure your progression path is the most optimal from undergrad Associates/Bachelors to Graduate Masters and beyond. This is looked at by future employers, immigration, institutions, etc, or even for yourself as a personal goal to get the CTU PhD Cyberpsychology.

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - sanantone - 04-13-2024

(04-12-2024, 05:12 PM)Sarit1046 Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 05:05 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm curious, did they require a minimum impact score or quartile for those journals?

The website says you must publish in three high-impact journals. A PhD can't be practioner-focused, especially a European-style PhD. A practitioner doctorate would neither be a PhD nor have have a dissertation or publication requirements. Practitioner doctorates have content courses plus a capstone or applied research project.

How do you know these courses are contentless?  Does it not teach much because it being practitioner focused versus being more academic in content? I think it really depends on how people perceive what is being taught and the content...

Questions for you, what was your undergrad and grad, where did you take them?  Are you merging your subject matter interests in Cybersecurity and Psychology and trying to get into this PhD Cyberpsychology?  What's your budget?

It's been said many times that almost all of CapTech's doctorates are dissertation-only (or publications-only if you choose that option). Their website says that they offer European-style doctorates. European-style PhDs do not have content courses. 

These are academic degrees. A practitioner degree would never be dissertation-only. Good examples of practitioner degrees would be the DHA and DFS at Oklahoma State University because they don't focus on academic research.

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - Sarit1046 - 04-13-2024

(04-13-2024, 03:35 AM)sanantone Wrote:

The website says you must publish in three high-impact journals. A PhD can't be practioner-focused, especially a European-style PhD. A practitioner doctorate would neither be a PhD nor have have a dissertation or publication requirements. Practitioner doctorates have content courses plus a capstone or applied research project.

It's been said many times that almost all of CapTech's doctorates are dissertation-only (or publications-only if you choose that option). Their website says that they offer European-style doctorates. European-style PhDs do not have content courses. 

These are academic degrees. A practitioner degree would never be dissertation-only. Good examples of practitioner degrees would be the DHA and DFS at Oklahoma State University because they don't focus on academic research.

I just checked the website again, but after several years of visiting there and multiple discussions with the dean, they don't state any impact factor cut-off. Trust me, I've been at this a while. Since the degree's initiation, it has stated "three articles published in peer-reviewed journals" that must be committee and advisor approved, both of which my selected journals have been. The program is part-time, because it's geared toward working professionals, so there is certainly a practitioner focus alongside the academic focus. They have the DSc too which is also cyber-related and entirely practitioner.

I understand the European-style model, I just personally don't think the program should be the cost that it is. I've seen others here saying that, too. That said, I respect dissenting opinions.

RE: Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - sanantone - 04-14-2024

(04-13-2024, 06:20 PM)Sarit1046 Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 03:35 AM)sanantone Wrote:

I just checked the website again, but after several years of visiting there and multiple discussions with the dean, they don't state any impact factor cut-off. Trust me, I've been at this a while. Since the degree's initiation, it has stated "three articles published in peer-reviewed journals" that must be committee and advisor approved, both of which my selected journals have been. The program is part-time, because it's geared toward working professionals, so there is certainly a practitioner focus alongside the academic focus. They have the DSc too which is also cyber-related and entirely practitioner.

I understand the European-style model, I just personally don't think the program should be the cost that it is. I've seen others here saying that, too. That said, I respect dissenting opinions.

It's an online program. You can either enroll in full-time hours or part-time hours. It doesn't change the research focus of the PhD. I attended CapTech for two semesters. I've also been in practitioner programs that aren't focused on research.

I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if CapTech has low standards for journals and doesn't follow what they publish on their website. They're also quite lenient in what they consider to be related transfer credits.

Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology - NotJoeBiden - 04-15-2024

I looked up articles people published at CapTech and many are published in fairly predatory journals with a questionable peer review process. That is not to say people dont do good work, but unless you publish in credible journals those publications wont carry weight.