Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS (/Thread-TESU-BA-CS-BS-CIS)

Pages: 1 2

TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - ahmedeo0510@gmail.com - 04-02-2024

Your Location: USA
Your Age: 31

What kind of degree do you want?: TESU BA CS + BS CIS, after that Georgia Tech online computer science ( OMSCS )

Current Regional Accredited Credits: None

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: calculus 1, french ( both cleps ) (not sure if these will get me credits towards my degree)

Current Regional Accredited Credits: Yes, I've attended a CC and these are the classes that got transferred to TESU according to the advisor.
- MATH1314/Coll Algebra
BCIS1405/Business Computer Application
ENGL1301/Composition I
PSYC2301/Intro to Psych
COSC1436/Prog Fund I Intro C++
PHYS2425/University Physics I
MATH2305/Discrete Mathemathics
GOVT2306/Texas Govt
HIST1301/Hist US
ENGR1201/Intro to Engineering

for a total of 32 credits ( didn't get to send cleps yet )

Any certifications or military experience? no

Budget: the cheaper the better, I would like to save as much money as possible.. 

Commitments: Full time employment.

Dedicated time to study: I can study everyday and probably can put in ~30-35 hours a week.

Timeline: Finishing as soon as possible. 

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Its unlikely there would be any help, but I can do modernstates to get free voucher through CLEP.

thank you for helping me navigating this whole process just need to have the degree plan going so I can graduate ASAP !! Great community =)

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - bjcheung77 - 04-02-2024

Welcome to the board, you're at a great age to get both done, I would recommend a balanced mix/match of certs, degree, experience in addition to the two degrees... Which state are you from? Hopefully you're not in the state of confusion... Hmm, anyways, you've got the addendum and template done, you can follow the template created on the WIKI for both degrees! Create a spreadsheet and place it into your one/google drive as viewable (not editable) then we can advise any changes if needed. CLEP/MS or Sophia.org, either one would work, I suggest Sophia.org to get things done faster... Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BA_Computer_Science_BSBA_CIS_Double_Degree_Plan

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - ahmedeo0510@gmail.com - 04-02-2024

(04-02-2024, 11:50 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, you're at a great age to get both done, I would recommend a balanced mix/match of certs, degree, experience in addition to the two degrees... Which state are you from? Hopefully you're not in the state of confusion... Hmm, anyways, you've got the addendum and template done, you can follow the template created on the WIKI for both degrees! Create a spreadsheet and place it into your one/google drive as viewable (not editable) then we can advise any changes if needed. CLEP/MS or Sophia.org, either one would work, I suggest Sophia.org to get things done faster... Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BA_Computer_Science_BSBA_CIS_Double_Degree_Plan

Thanks for your reply ! 

May I ask how is Sophia.org faster than CLEP? ( my first guess is I can reliably get CLEP voucher to get my tests for free ) but I don't know how much sophia.org costs

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - davewill - 04-02-2024

Whether it's faster or not really depends on you. In general, CLEPs are harder because it's an all or nothing test. You have to study until you are convinced that you will pass. If you don't pass, then you have a long wait before you can try again, so generally, people over-prepare.

Online courses like Sophia allow you to do quizzes and assignments on an incremental basis, and if you need to retake or redo something, you can do it as soon as you are ready. When you do get to a final exam, you already know what should be on it, and failure isn't so big a deal, plus if you've aced the preceeding work, you can often pass the final with a pretty low score.

thank you so much for all the info. I'm determined, and I believe getting a bachelor's degree would help me in my career. I know, with modern states I can get clep vouchers so It will be free, what about sophia?

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - LevelUP - 04-02-2024

(04-02-2024, 12:38 PM)ahmedeo0510@gmail.com Wrote: thank you so much for all the info. I'm determined, and I believe getting a bachelor's degree would help me in my career. I know, with modern states I can get clep vouchers so It will be free, what about sophia?

Free, but what is your time worth?  Nothing? Then, it is free with no penalty.

If you have 30 courses left to do and waste an average of 10 hours per course, then you wasted 300 hours. Someone could drive for doordash and make $4500 with 300 hours of time.  To save $180 of Sophia membership fees isn't worth it for most people.

According to ModernState's own data, their pass rate is 70%. You will need additional sources to improve your pass rate.

(04-02-2024, 01:04 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 12:38 PM)ahmedeo0510@gmail.com Wrote: thank you so much for all the info. I'm determined, and I believe getting a bachelor's degree would help me in my career. I know, with modern states I can get clep vouchers so It will be free, what about sophia?

Free, but what is your time worth?  Nothing? Then, it is free with no penalty.

If you have 30 courses left to do and waste an average of 10 hours per course, then you wasted 300 hours. Someone could drive for doordash and make $4500 with 300 hours of time.  To save $180 of Sophia membership fees isn't worth it for most people.

According to ModernState's own data, their pass rate is 70%. You will need additional sources to improve your pass rate.

Oh that makes complete sense !! IS sophia noticeably easier ? I am here to save time !! thank you

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - bjcheung77 - 04-02-2024

Basically, If you take your time to read and review posts, you'll notice that I've mentioned to people to multi-task with a second monitor. You can have a laptop and a second screen as an example (this is how I do things), I use laptop for quizzes and exams, assignments, and the second screen for multi-tasking, viewing PDF, materials. So, with a little cash you're saving bundles of time... Some people are able to get a Sophia.org class done within the day, those with assignments will take a couple of days or three due to grading. You can't get that done with CLEP...

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - rachel83az - 04-03-2024

"Easy" is a matter of opinion. But most students don't seem to dare to take more than 2 or 3 CLEP exams in a month - after preparing for a month or more for this. Meanwhile, most students here are able to complete ~90 credits worth of Sophia (~30 Sophia classes) within one 4-month subscription period. Sometimes a little more or less, depending on what other commitments they have going on. By that metric, I would say that Sophia is "easier" than CLEP exams.

RE: TESU - BA CS + BS CIS - ahmedeo0510@gmail.com - 04-03-2024

(04-03-2024, 02:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote: "Easy" is a matter of opinion. But most students don't seem to dare to take more than 2 or 3 CLEP exams in a month - after preparing for a month or more for this. Meanwhile, most students here are able to complete ~90 credits worth of Sophia (~30 Sophia classes) within one 4-month subscription period. Sometimes a little more or less, depending on what other commitments they have going on. By that metric, I would say that Sophia is "easier" than CLEP exams.

I'm located in Texas, and I will be taking lot of sophia tests. Which classes/credits that I should be leaving to take through TESU ? I'm focused on getting these 2 degrees pretty much for as cheap as can be.