Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Which class to take? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Which class to take? (/Thread-Which-class-to-take--46108)

Which class to take? - ACI - 03-27-2024

Hi, for my degree I need one more UL Computer Information Systems class through TESU. The three options (I've done all the others) are CMP-3540 Network Technology, CYB-4210 Cybersecurity Risk Anlys/Mngt, and MKT-4410 Marketing Digital and Social Media. Does anyone have any reasons why I would take one over the others? Thanks!

RE: Which class to take? - LevelUP - 03-27-2024

(03-27-2024, 09:45 AM)ACI Wrote: Hi, for my degree I need one more UL Computer Information Systems class through TESU. The three options (I've done all the others) are CMP-3540 Network Technology, CYB-4210 Cybersecurity Risk Anlys/Mngt, and MKT-4410 Marketing Digital and Social Media. Does anyone have any reasons why I would take one over the others? Thanks!

The ASU course is the preferred option now. TESU no longer accepts Study.com's Digital marketing course as UL. The Network TECEP has a 50% fail rate, so it's a bit of a gamble to take that exam. 

Software engineering is the best course at TESU for CIS. For other courses, it's a matter of how much risk your grade is weighted toward exam scores. MKT-4410 Marketing Digital and Social Media has no exams. Also, some courses aren't available every month.

RE: Which class to take? - bjcheung77 - 03-27-2024

@ACI, it really depends on your current situation, as it's somewhat unclear if you have enough residency credits or paying the residency waiver fee. If you're just 1 class away from getting residency credits completed, then do the TESU class for Software Engineering. If you've already got enough residency credits (15) to waive the residency waiver fee, then do the ASU classes that come in as UL CIS for your degree.

RE: Which class to take? - ACI - 03-27-2024

(03-27-2024, 10:18 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ACI, it really depends on your current situation, as it's somewhat unclear if you have enough residency credits or paying the residency waiver fee. If you're just 1 class away from getting residency credits completed, then do the TESU class for Software Engineering.  If you've already got enough residency credits (15) to waive the residency waiver fee, then do the ASU classes that come in as UL CIS for your degree.

I need to take this final UL class through TESU for residency credit. I am doing a dual degree, so I am already taking the software engineering course for my Computer Science degree. I already have three UL classes overlapping my two degrees: System Analysis, Database Management, and Management Info Systems.

RE: Which class to take? - bjcheung77 - 03-27-2024

Hmm, what about taking something outside of the three you're looking at, how about this AI class? https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=COS-451

RE: Which class to take? - rachel83az - 03-27-2024

The Network Technology class has previously been reported to be significantly easier than the exam. Much easier to pass and barely an UL class. Compared to the TECEP, at least.

RE: Which class to take? - AllThose299s - 03-27-2024

If you do take the Network Technology TECEP - remember that the exam is a wildcard, so you could feel confident in your network knowledge just to be thrown off by some of the questions. That being said, if you are knowledgeable on various networking topics, including server management, LDAP, active directory, etc. you might be fine. You might have luck in passing the exam, I barely passed it (but as I stated in my review - I didn't spend as much time as I wanted preparing for the exam). 

If you end up picking Network Technology:
  • If you have the time to take the Network Technology class and don't like to stress - take the class.
  • If time is a factor and you want to get it done quickly, can handle some stress (and can afford the risk of failing the TECEP) - you can try the TECEP. I feel like odds of the TECEP is a 60% fail, 40% pass.