Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace (/Thread-Dr-Tree-Man-BA-in-Psychology-UMPI-YourPace)

Pages: 1 2

Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - Dr Tree Man - 03-26-2024

I first wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the info. It's really helped in calming my fears and tempering my expectations, which allowed me to decide on entering UMPI for a psych degree. I just had one question. After looking at the degree plan, it kind of scared me a bit all over again because I'd hate to take the wrong classes, but to make sure I'm correct in summary, I'd take the the gen ed courses dictated on the gen ed roadmap then 35 credits worth of free electives and a few of the required courses then enter with a need to finish 30 credits at UMPI. Am I missing anything? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right so I can properly plan for this foray.

RE: BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - LevelUP - 03-26-2024

If you take Introduction to Statistics as a required math class for GE, then you need to add 3 credits to the free electives you must take. 

Other than that, if you follow the degree plan, then you should be left with 10 courses to take at UMPI. 

Any credits above the required number will still appear on your transcript, so if you have extra time at Sophia, you can explore other courses.

RE: BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - Dr Tree Man - 03-26-2024

(03-26-2024, 02:15 PM)LevelUP Wrote: If you take Introduction to Statistics as a required math class for GE, then you need to add 3 credits to the free electives you must take. 

Other than that, if you follow the degree plan, then you should be left with 10 courses to take at UMPI. 

Any credits above the required number will still appear on your transcript, so if you have extra time at Sophia, you can explore other courses.
Thanks a dozen, man. I was really nervous, but the confirmation makes me feel better.

RE: BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - bjcheung77 - 03-26-2024

@Dr Tree Man, Welcome to the board. In addition to what was mentioned by LevelUP and your initial post, you should complete the WIKI contents by going through provider by provider, not just the Gen Eds, Electives, and then Major. You need a spreadsheet to keep record and tracking your progress, the reason is you're paying a subscription for each provider, you don't want to be paying two at the same time thinking you can go faster, you're going to need to focus on one provider at a time and complete those classes first as per WIKI or your updated spreadsheet. You should link us to the sheet on your one/google drive as a viewable (not editable) file and we can comment on it...

RE: BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - Dr Tree Man - 03-27-2024

(03-26-2024, 04:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Dr Tree Man, Welcome to the board. In addition to what was mentioned by LevelUP and your initial post, you should complete the WIKI contents by going through provider by provider, not just the Gen Eds, Electives, and then Major.  You need a spreadsheet to keep record and tracking your progress, the reason is you're paying a subscription for each provider, you don't want to be paying two at the same time thinking you can go faster, you're going to need to focus on one provider at a time and complete those classes first as per WIKI or your updated spreadsheet.  You should link us to the sheet on your one/google drive as a viewable (not editable) file and we can comment on it...
Okay, I got it. Once I figure everything out, I'll link it here. I'm very thankful for the help you guys

RE: Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - bjcheung77 - 03-27-2024

No worries, we're always here to help. I've split this thread so you can further personalize your questions and get answers to them... You may want to update us with the info on the addendum and template here, as it's highly recommended to give us a better or bigger overview of your scenario: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

RE: Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - Dr Tree Man - 03-27-2024

(03-27-2024, 08:07 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: No worries, we're always here to help.  I've split this thread so you can further personalize your questions and get answers to them... You may want to update us with the info on the addendum and template here, as it's highly recommended to give us a better or bigger overview of your scenario: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works
I hope I did this right.
Your Location: Maryland, United States. 

Your Age: 22

What kind of degree do you want?: Psychology I'm pretty nailed down but if someone can recommend a better degree choice I'm down. I aspire to be a professional soccer coach and after talking and researching some coaches with similar backgrounds to me I picked psychology however I'm open to recommendations.

Current Regional Accredited Credits: None
Any certifications or military experience? I have a Comptia A+ certification

Budget: I'll probably pay for any courses on study and Sophia out of pocket so as to get up to that 90 transferable credits bu I don't really have a budget per say

Commitments: No real commitments as until this is done I won't be coaching, so that I can simply focus on work and school

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed when I'm not at work.

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish before the new school year which on my local area would be soon after labor day if possible.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: AmeriCorps will be giving me a maximum award of $7400 if I complete the full time hours (which I will be finishing)

RE: Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace - bjcheung77 - 03-27-2024

Nice update, you don't need a specific degree to get into professional sports coaching, and with the award budget from AmeriCorps, you can go for any degree that you feel fit. Having said that, I would do something other than BA Psychology, many coaches have degrees in other subject matter, such as business, education, physical education, sports science, or similar check the box degrees.

Here's my recommendation of a balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience, you can do the Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BAS with a minor of your choice (Psych in this case) with 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL, ladder that up to UMPI MAOL. By taking certs and gaining experience, you'll be well versed in several fields, such as Business/Leadership.

In addition to that, you are very young, while you are focusing on coaching and the requirements to get into coaching, you can decide if you want to further ladder that MAOL to a Walden MS Psych as your last degree. So instead of having a Bachelors, you will end up with two Masters, but my main recommendation is to get the MAOL and leave this for later...

(03-27-2024, 10:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nice update, you don't need a specific degree to get into professional sports coaching, and with the award budget from AmeriCorps, you can go for any degree that you feel fit.  Having said that, I would do something other than BA Psychology, many coaches have degrees in other subject matter, such as business, education, physical education, sports science, or similar check the box degrees.

Here's my recommendation of a balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience, you can do the Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BAS with a minor of your choice (Psych in this case) with 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL, ladder that up to UMPI MAOL.  By taking certs and gaining experience, you'll be well versed in several fields, such as Business/Leadership.

In addition to that, you are very young, while you are focusing on coaching and the requirements to get into coaching, you can decide if you want to further ladder that MAOL to a Walden MS Psych as your last degree.  So instead of having a Bachelors, you will end up with two Masters, but my main recommendation is to get the MAOL and leave this for later...
Okay, that makes sense and is a solid plan. I'll have to think it over

(03-27-2024, 01:52 PM)Dr Tree Man Wrote:
(03-27-2024, 10:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nice update. You don't need a specific degree to get into professional sports coaching, and with the award budget from AmeriCorps, you can go for any degree that you feel fit.  Having said that, I would do something other than BA Psychology, many coaches have degrees in other subject matter, such as business, education, physical education, sports science, or similar check the box degrees.

Here's my recommendation of a balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience, you can do the Pierpont BOG AAS, UMPI BAS with a minor of your choice (Psych in this case) with 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL, ladder that up to UMPI MAOL.  By taking certs and gaining experience, you'll be well versed in several fields, such as Business/Leadership.

In addition to that, you are very young, while you are focusing on coaching and the requirements to get into coaching, you can decide if you want to further ladder that MAOL to a Walden MS Psych as your last degree.  So instead of having a Bachelors degree, you will end up with two Masters, but my main recommendation is to get the MAOL and leave this for later...
Okay, that makes sense and is a solid plan. I'll have to think it over
I wish there were sports psychology programs available that fit me that'd be perfect and would allow me to go on a path to become a licensed sports psychologist, thus giving me multiple options. I've got a lot to mull over now which suddenly doesn't seem so daunting.