Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? (/Thread-Cheapest-Easiest-Master-s-Hellenic-WGU-UMPi)

Pages: 1 2

Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - mohelena02 - 02-28-2024

Hi Everyone!

I am putting together a spreadsheet of Master's options for my brother now that he has completed his UMPI BAS with/a minor in Info Sys and PM. The first concern is price, and the second concern is ease (I know this is highly dependent on the person, but I am generalizing here). 

Here is the spreadsheet. 

Options are Hellenic MBA, WGU MBA IT or UMPI MAOL.

I have a question regarding the Hellenic MBA; I know it is RA, but does the lack of business school accreditation affect it a lot, potentially for immigration purposes?

Which one would you choose and why? Thanks!

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - ashkir - 02-28-2024

Did your brother take any of the transferable UMPI classes? If so, that can knock out 3 classes for his MAOL.

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - mohelena02 - 02-28-2024

(02-28-2024, 11:04 AM)ashkir Wrote: Did your brother take any of the transferable UMPI classes? If so, that can knock out 3 classes for his MAOL.

Good question, not to my knowledge. Here are the UMPI classes he completed:

BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 345: Database Management Systems
BUS 440: Business Analytics
BUS 343: Project Risk and Cost Management
Bus 401 Project Management Applications II
"POS 211 YP: Introduction to Political Thought (LL) "
HTY 489:CBE1-Special Topics in History
HTY 439: THE Vietnam Wars
POS 301 - European Governments and the European Union
BUS260 Leadership 
HTY 370/POS 370: Topics in Non-Western History//Topics in Non-Western History
POS 332:CBE1-Constitutional Law

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - Jonathan Whatley - 02-28-2024

UMPI pros:
  • He's proficient in how UMPI works in a closely related program.
  • B&M state university.
  • Flexibility and accelerability of its CBE.
WGU pros:
  • The specificity of a concentration such as IT Management, if applicable to his career path.
  • Size means familiarity to hirers, especially in IT.
  • Size means alumni networks online, though I'm not sure how much value this adds.
  • Nonprofit online university.
Hellenic American University pros:
  • The specificity of a concentration or certificate such as MIS, if applicable to his career path.
  • Nonprofit university with a B&M presence.
  • Low price based on credit hours even if it's not accelerated.
Hellenic American University distinctive:
  • Traditional term schedule.

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - Imbanewbie - 02-28-2024

I agree with Jonathan. I believe it is better for him to stick with the same study environment at UMPI for his master's degree. I know some students who transferred to WGU, and they did not perform well because the learning environment is totally different.

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - newdegree - 02-28-2024

The word easiest never sits well with people by the way. Now as per immigration purposes, you should contact the immigration office in that country to find out the requirements for a student visa or whatever the need may be. A school can't guarantee 100% that a degree program can help you with his immigration status. I do not think business school accreditation will have an effect on anything besides employment maybe and that's really up to the employer.

Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - NotJoeBiden - 02-28-2024

UMass Global MAOL is cheaper than UMPI if he plans to take more than 6 months with it.

(02-28-2024, 11:26 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: UMPI pros:
  • He's proficient in how UMPI works in a closely related program.
  • B&M state university.
WGU pros:
  • The specificity of a concentration such as IT Management, if applicable to his career path.
  • Size means familiarity to hirers, especially in IT.
  • Size means alumni networks online, though I'm not sure how much value this adds.
  • Nonprofit online university.
Hellenic American University pros:
  • The specificity of a concentration or certificate such as MIS, if applicable to his career path.
  • Nonprofit university with a B&M presence.
  • Low price based on credit hours even if it's not accelerated.
Hellenic American University distinctive:
  • Traditional term schedule.
Thank you so much for this breakdown!

(02-28-2024, 12:09 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I agree with Jonathan. I believe it is better for him to stick with the same study environment at UMPI for his master's degree. I know some students who transferred to WGU, and they did not perform well because the learning environment is totally different.

I agree with your point. The only concern with UMPI would be the cost, as it would be around 6k for 3 semesters. Thanks for your input!

(02-28-2024, 12:18 PM)newdegree Wrote: The word easiest never sits well with people by the way. Now as per immigration purposes, you should contact the immigration office in that country to find out the requirements for a student visa or whatever the need may be. A school can't guarantee 100% that a degree program can help you with his immigration status. I do not think business school accreditation will have an effect on anything besides employment maybe and that's really up to the employer.

Thanks, I have been around this forum for a bit; when I meant 'easy,', I did not mean it in a derogatory way toward the degree. However, I can see how that could be misconstrued, so apologies to anyone in advance!

Thank you for the tip regarding country requirements! Never thought of that and appreciate it!

(02-28-2024, 12:23 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: UMass Global MAOL is cheaper than UMPI if he plans to take more than 6 months with it.

Thank you Joe! I had not considered UMass~

RE: Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? - bjcheung77 - 02-28-2024

Just wondering... How many sessions did it take the brother to do the BAS again? Was it just one session? If that's the case, I'm not sure why you're indicating 3 sessions for the Masters, if he has the transfer credits to the MAOL, it'll be 9 classes for the degree, if he paces himself to get 5 done each session, it'll only take two.

(02-28-2024, 12:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering... How many sessions did it take the brother to do the BAS again? Was it just one session? If that's the case, I'm not sure why you're indicating 3 sessions for the Masters, if he has the transfer credits to the MAOL, it'll be 9 classes for the degree, if he paces himself to get 5 done each session, it'll only take two.

Yes, he took one session for the BAS. It seemed to be by research that the MAOL is pretty strenuous, which is why I had estimated 3 sessions, but 2 would be more doable price-wise. Thanks!