Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
UMPI Degree Planning Advice - Course Requirements - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: UMPI Degree Planning Advice - Course Requirements (/Thread-UMPI-Degree-Planning-Advice-Course-Requirements)

Pages: 1 2 3

Need help deciding what Sophia courses to take for UMPI Criminal Justice degree - VaderM4 - 12-28-2023

Hello, hopefully this follows the format recommended to post on here. Anyways, started taking courses on Sophia a few days ago with intent to transfer over to University of Phoenix after all general education credits were completed with a course "equivalence" list provided by the UOPX rep as to what courses were directly transferable to UOPX (ie: Quantitive Math 1 and Quantitative Math 2 at UOPX could be replaced with Intro to College Mathematics and College Algebra at Sophia). However I later discovered UMPI and it's benefits and would like to do the same thing. Currently not enrolled in either UOPX or UMPI, just looking for what courses I can take on Sophia that would be transferrable to UMPI to satisfy their general education requirement for their BA in Criminal Justice. Pretty much would like to know all the transferrable courses I can take on Sophia that can be applied to UMPI (whether they are general education or upper level etc). Thank you

Your Location: New Jersey
Your Age: 26
What kind of degree do you want?: BA Criminal Justice
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia Credits: 6

Any certifications or military experience? NORAC

Budget: I suppose whatever the cheapest route is, <$10,000
Commitments: Primarily work full time + extra hours due to being on call.
Dedicated time to study: Can usually do around 4-8 hours daily, and a couple hours at work on the weekends.
Timeline: Hopefully a year, less than 2 for sure.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I think my workplace offers some kind of assistance, would have to look into this.

RE: Need help deciding what Sophia courses to take for UMPI Criminal Justice degree - bjcheung77 - 12-28-2023

@VaderM4, Please spend some time reading through the posts, threads, and WIKI. You're welcome. I would like you to follow through with the addendum and template as you missed that main sticky thread right above the thread you just created... I mean, with more details and information from you, the better overview we have on your particular scenario, thus, the more constructive our answers can be for you. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - bjcheung77 - 12-28-2023

Great update, but you missed the more important things in the addendum! You should update us by copy/pasting and editing the info into your current post instead of creating another thread. I've merged the two threads, the info here would be more complete for others to help you further... again, do the addendum and edit your current post with the template.

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - VaderM4 - 12-28-2023

(12-28-2023, 11:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Great update, but you missed the more important things in the addendum!  You should update us by copy/pasting and editing the info into your current post instead of creating another thread.  I've merged the two threads, the info here would be more complete for others to help you further... again, do the addendum and edit your current post with the template.

Is it fine now?

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - bjcheung77 - 12-29-2023

VaderM4 Wrote:Is it fine now?

Yes, looks much better with all that detail... basically, you have the energy, money, time to get things done, you can take a shot at doing the UMPI CJ by following the WIKI plan, note the CJ & Psych degrees have internships or practicums.  Here's the UMPI WIKI link regarding the institution: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/University_of_Maine_at_Presque_Isle  And here's the Plans for UMPI: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

Since you're pretty much starting from scratch with Sophia.org, continue with them until you get the 90+ credits to transfer into UMPI as per the General Education and the BA CJ links above.  Create a spreadsheet of the requirements and the classes you're going to be taking for reference and tracking purposes.  You can then link us to your one/google drive, make the file viewable (not editable), we can comment if there are any modifications needed.

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - VaderM4 - 12-29-2023

(12-29-2023, 12:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
VaderM4 Wrote:Is it fine now?

Yes, looks much better with all that detail... basically, you have the energy, money, time to get things done, you can take a shot at doing the UMPI CJ by following the WIKI plan, note the CJ & Psych degrees have internships or practicums.  Here's the UMPI WIKI link regarding the institution: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/University_of_Maine_at_Presque_Isle  And here's the Plans for UMPI: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

Since you're pretty much starting from scratch with Sophia.org, continue with them until you get the 90+ credits to transfer into UMPI as per the General Education and the BA CJ links above.  Create a spreadsheet of the requirements and the classes you're going to be taking for reference and tracking purposes.  You can then link us to your one/google drive, make the file viewable (not editable), we can comment if there are any modifications needed.

I wasn't aware of the practicum/internship requirement for UMPI. I don't think I would be able to complete that due to my current job. Can you recommend any other bachelor degree program at UMPI that does not require a practicum/internship? I initially chose criminal justice as my degree route only because it seemed relatively easy (no extra math classes, etc) but I would be fine with any Bachelor's to be honest as my current employer does not care what field it is in, just as long as you have one. Thank you

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - bjcheung77 - 12-29-2023

Your first choice should be TESU as it's a local, in-state institution, and doing the minimum residency requirements with them, I suggest doing the ASCJ, BALS (& BSBA) combo, it's just a few more classes, since you're in NJ and you get NJ tuition for the flat rate. Your second option (of if you do choose, the Pierpont BOG AAS and then ladder up to the UMPI BAS/BLS with a minor in CJ).

RE: What Sophia courses should I take for UMPI? - VaderM4 - 12-29-2023

(12-29-2023, 01:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Your first choice should be TESU as it's a local, in-state institution, and doing the minimum residency requirements with them, I suggest doing the ASCJ, BALS (& BSBA) combo, it's just a few more classes, since you're in NJ and you get NJ tuition for the flat rate.  Your second option (of if you do choose, the Pierpont BOG AAS and then ladder up to the UMPI BAS/BLS with a minor in CJ).

Is TESU competency based and proctor free like UMPI? Currently looking into other degrees offered by UMPI that don't require anything outside of the online experience

Fastest UMPI YourPace Degree? - VaderM4 - 12-29-2023

What is the fastest YourPace degree at UMPI (no practicums/internships) just a straight online experience? Read a post earlier with a degree plan stating it would take 6-7 months however the plan is outdated and I couldn't find an updated version of it on here.

RE: Fastest UMPI YourPace Degree? - ss20ts - 12-29-2023

All of the BLS and BABAs take about the same length of time. Everyone doesn't complete a degree in 6 months. Most of that time was spent on Sophia.