Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
UMPI Degree Planning Questions - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UMPI Degree Planning Questions (/Thread-UMPI-Degree-Planning-Questions)

Need 8 Electives for BA Liberal Studies-Accounting - Milky_Way - 10-03-2023

Hello. I am new here and in the early stages of earning my degree. I am currently barreling through Sophia Courses, planning to transfer in 90 credits. I will have to complete two business classes at UMPI for sure (BUS377 Federal Taxation I; and BUS 378 Federal Taxation 2) for a BA in Liberal Studies- Accounting. I am unclear if the remaining eight electives need to be 300 level or above and if they have to be business classes. If anyone knows the answer to that, I would be very happy to know.  
My main question is: What are some great level 300 and up courses that I can plan to take to complete my requirements at UMPI? I would love suggestions for both business and non-business courses, although I'm sure the business courses would be the most beneficial. I'm not necessarily looking for the easiest classes but good ones that you have enjoyed and benefited from taking.

Thank you so much for your input in advance!

RE: Need 8 Electives for BA Liberal Studies-Accounting - rachel83az - 10-04-2023

You've seen this page, yes? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UMPI_BLS_Accounting_Degree_Plan

If you don't mind history, most UMPI students seem to really enjoy Dr. Z's history classes. They're pretty easy and quick because of the awesome feedback Dr. Z gives. I don't know offhand which classes are Dr. Z and which ones are taught by other professors.

RE: Need 8 Electives for BA Liberal Studies-Accounting - Milky_Way - 10-04-2023

I had not seen that page. Very helpful- Thanks! It looks like I can choose anything to fulfill those requirements! I do have a few Dr. Z History courses planned, but does anyone have any experience with:
-Cost Accounting
-HR Management
-Project Risk and Cost Management
-E Commerce and Social Media Marketing
-Independent Auditing
-Fundamentals of Supply Chain and Logistics
I can't find much feedback on what these classes are like. I am interested in them but I don't want to get myself into a situation where I've chosen a really difficult and frustrating course for no reason, since these are not required for my major.

Specific Questions Re: Degree Planning two majors at UMPI - Milky_Way - 10-04-2023

I have my degree pretty much planned out. I have changed my plan and want to pursue a BA in Accounting and BABA in Management and Leadership. I have four specific questions, and I'm hoping that someone who has done this or has done something similar can answer them.

#1: There is a math requirement on the DegreeForum Wiki for the BABA that says BUS 110 (Business Math) is required but says that it is a duplicate. I'm not sure what they are referring to; perhaps a gen ed course? I have taken college Algebra but do not have a Business math- Will I need to take one?

2. A PCJ 215 Business Communication requirement is listed for the BABA as well, which is also listed as a duplicate.  Will something I have taken in gen ed courses or in the course of completing my BA in accounting fulfill this requirement?

3.  When I'm looking at my spreadsheet for the BABA in Management and Leadership, it appears that only five courses are taken at UMPI (based on the DegreeForum Wiki plan): 
BUS 200 (Intermediate Computing);
BUS 325 (Financial Management); 
BUS 440 (Business Analytics); 
BUS 469 (Strategic Professional Communications); 
BUS 489 (Business and Policy Strategy). 

Will these fulfill the requirement to take minimum credits at UMPI? Does it matter since I already took the minimum with the accounting degree? I'm just not sure how they do things when you are planning to complete two degrees.  

Then, there are general electives; in this case, it says 21 if I have taken Micro and Macro Econ (which I will be). So will all of my 17 elective credits from my BA in accounting transfer to this, and then will I need to fill in 4 more electives? If so, Can they be from Sophia or Study?

RE: Specific Questions Re: Degree Planning two majors at UMPI - rachel83az - 10-05-2023

1. Did you see this page? https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UMPI_!General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap 3A and 3B are duplicates of one another. If you take Business Math to fulfill 3A, it can also be used in 3B. 3B will be a duplicate. It will also be duplicated in the core/major requirements.

2. Business Communication can be used in 1C. If you use it in 1C, it will be a duplicate of the one used in the major.

3. No, you must take at least 10 classes at UMPI. However, aside from the ones that have no equivalent at Sophia or Study.com, you're free to choose whichever courses you want. For instance, a lot of students choose not to transfer in English Comp I/II from elsewhere because they're generally easier/faster at UMPI. Students who already have English Comp I/II from another college or university might choose not to do US Government or some of classes that are more difficult at Study.com than at UMPI. It's entirely up to you and what you think is "easy".

RE: Specific Questions Re: Degree Planning two majors at UMPI - bjcheung77 - 10-05-2023

There are credits and then there are requirements... many people think of double dipping for COSC/UMPI towards the requirements, but what you really need to look at is the credits. Courses may hit multiple requirements, but you still need to get the total number of credits to complete the degree. That's why I don't really bother with the requirements and make sure to hit enough credits (which in turn, hit all the requirements). Whenever you see duplicate in the templates/wiki, it means that course has been taken for another field/requirement has been met as a course has completed to fill the slot, you don't have to take it again. You can transfer over 90+ credits into the UMPI degrees, but only 90 credits will go towards the degree, 30 credits must be done at UMPI.

Upper Level Electives (Alternative Credit) - Milky_Way - 10-24-2023

On the degreeforum wiki for the bls in management, it states that there are a few Sophia courses that transfer to UMPI as upper level electives. The courses that are listed are Microbiology, Business Law, and Business Ethics.  I have decided to take both Business Law and Business Ethics through Sophia, but I'm not interested in trying Microbiology. Are there any courses on Study that transfer to UMPI in a similar way as upper level electives?

RE: UMPI Degree Planning Questions - bjcheung77 - 10-24-2023

Here's my spreadsheet and also the link to show you which classes from Sophia.org (or other alternative credit providers) transfer in as. The UMPI equivalency database 'works' but sometimes are not updated to reflect most changes. I would use this as a reference tool for degree planning and tracking of transfer credit as it seems relatively updated so far... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Sophia-to-Pierpont?pid=406558#pid406558