Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU (/Thread-Planning-a-BA-in-Communications-from-TESU)

Pages: 1 2

Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - NJgirl - 10-02-2023

Hello! I'm just starting to plan my BA in communications from TESU. 

I need the following classes and I'd love to take them quickly and as inexpensively as possible. I'm a decent test taker, and can usually complete assignments and tests pretty quickly. 

If you have any advice or recommendations, I would love to hear it! Thank you in advance!

1. (3) ENC-1020 English Composition II 
  2. (3) SOS-1100 Information Literacy  (Must take at TESU)
  3. (3) COM-2090 Public Speaking 
  4. (3) ETH-2200 Leading the Way: A Path Towards Ethical Leadership
  5. (3) POS-1100 American Government or GLB-3010 Global Issues in Society
  6. (3) COM-1000 Communication Theory 
  7. (3) COM-1200 Introduction to Mass Communications I
  8. (3) COM-1210 Introduction to Mass Communications II 
  9. (3) COM-2650 Communication in the Digital Age 
  10. (3) COM-3300 Interpersonal Communication 
  11. (3) COM-3350 Intercultural Communication 
  12. (3) 300/400 level COM elective
  13. (3) 300/400 level COM elective
  14. (3) 300/400 level COM elective 
  15. (3) LIB 4950 Capstone (Must take at TESU)
  16. (8) free electives (I'll probably take Anatomy and Physiology I and II with lab) 

**See post below for added Template + Addendum

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - bjcheung77 - 10-02-2023

@NJgirl, Welcome to the board, did you complete an associates degree already? Have you decided on TESU BA Communications or are you still looking at that offering? Have you checked out the UMPI YourPace BA options for English/Communications/Journalism? Furthermore, you should fill in the addendum plus template here to provide a better overall picture and with more details of your overview, we'll be able to assist you further: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - NJgirl - 10-02-2023

(10-02-2023, 09:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @NJgirl, Welcome to the board, did you complete an associates degree already?  Have you decided on TESU BA Communications or are you still looking at that offering?  Have you checked out the UMPI YourPace BA options for English/Communications/Journalism?  Furthermore, you should fill in the addendum plus template here to provide a better overall picture and with more details of your overview, we'll be able to assist you further: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

I do not have an associates degree but I've completed 69 college credits.
I haven't checked out the UMPI program, but thank you for the suggestion. I'll look at that now. 

I applied at TESU and was given the credit evaluation that I posted below. (I know it's not ideal, but I don't have a copy of my transcript, I only requested one be sent to TESU). I haven't registered for any classes or tests yet. I'm completely open to a different school or different route if it's easier/faster/cheaper. 

The courses that I listed in my original post are the courses that I need to fulfill for TESU BA in Communications. 

Your Location: New Jersey, United States. 
Your Age: 53
What kind of degree do you want?: Communications BA
Current Regional Accredited Credits: all credits from MSU, early 1990's. 

(3) ENC 101 English Comp I, B
(3) LIT 205 American Literature I, B
(3) ENG 346 Classical Mythology, C
(4) MAT 129 Pre Calc, C
(3) SOC 101 Sociology, A
(3) ENS 200 Environmental Science, B
(3) HIS 113 American history I, A 
(3) HIS 114 American History II, A
(3) PSY 101 Intro to Psychology, B+
(3) PSY 183 Psych of Adjustment, C
(4) PSY 225 Intro to Quant Methods in Psych, A-
(3) PSY 320 Perception, C
(3) PSY 392 Psych Testing and Measurement, C-
(3) RUS 104 Russian Culture and Civ, B+
(3) RUS 101 Russian Language I, B+
(3) RUS 102 Russian Language II, B+
(3) COM 108 Fundamentals of Speech, C+
(3) FIL 160 Intro to History of Film, B+
(3) SOC 291 Criminology, C+
(1) MUS  199 Special Topics in Music, A
(1) FEL 199 Special Topics in Free Electives, A
(.5) HEA 103 Here’s to Your Health, A
(.5) FEL 199 Special Topics in Free Electives, CR
(3) AST 101 Intro to Astronomy, D
(4) GEO 151 Physical Geology, D

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None

Any certifications or military experience? No

Budget: I have 2 children, both away at college (gulp) and I'd like to go the cheapest route possible for myself. I could realistically budget 6-8k at most, but am hoping for under 5k
Commitments: I can commit minimum 25+ hours/week on school and studying, minimum
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1 year
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No assistance or reimbursement
Career Goal:  My experience is in media as an associate producer/writer. Since 2020, I have been freelance only. I haven't bothered to complete my degree that I started 30 years ago because I landed a job that didn't require one, but now that I am in need of a new job, I'm finding that most companies do not accept experience in lieu of a college degree. 

I'm open to a career change if anyone has any brilliant ideas for me Wink 

I prefer to test out of subjects wherever possible.

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - rachel83az - 10-03-2023

The BA Communications degree isn't a cheap or easy one from TESU. It can be (almost) impossible to find the classes they want at a cost-effective price point. I would strongly recommend UMPI's program or switching the TESU degree to something like English. Otherwise, you're looking at a lot of expense/difficulty obtaining those remaining credits.

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - NJgirl - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The BA Communications degree isn't a cheap or easy one from TESU. It can be (almost) impossible to find the classes they want at a cost-effective price point. I would strongly recommend UMPI's program or switching the TESU degree to something like English. Otherwise, you're looking at a lot of expense/difficulty obtaining those remaining credits.

I am definitely not looking for expensive and difficult credits. It looks like the Liberal Studies degree might be the easiest to obtain from TESU, but it still doesn't look as good as UMPI.

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - bjcheung77 - 10-03-2023

That's right, to keep it under 5K and also to quickly get things done, 2-3 sessions at most with UMPI and at $3K-$4.5K, is a better deal than TESU. Even if you don't go for the BA options and select the BLS, you can minor in one of the options it provides in addition to a minor of your choice (as long as it's offered and you can transfer enough credits into that), example, minor in Management and another in English, Comm, Psych or something...

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - natshar - 10-03-2023

Honeslty as an NJ resident I'd stay with TESU. You get in state tuition and reputation is better in your area than UMPI. You could go for a BA pysch since you have a few psych classes or jsut BA liberal studies.

The only thing is BA communication is not transfer friendly unless you already have the specfic classes which you don't. So if you stay TESU and want to keep the budget and time I'd stick with Liberal Studies or Pysch as a major.

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - NJgirl - 10-03-2023

Right now, I'm evaluating UMPI English degree and comparing it to TESU Psych and Liberal Studies.

Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated!

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - bjcheung77 - 10-03-2023

Either way would be great and within budget, you can use TESU as they've got the Garden State option, I would not rush into things so quickly and dig deep, I would work on the trifecta, getting some certs, degree, experience.  You may be eligible for this and have your TESU double bachelors paid for, as you can get up to 4 semesters, you can do the BA Psych and a BSBA, FREE if you qualify: https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/gsg

RE: Planning a BA in Communications from TESU - dfrecore - 10-03-2023

(10-02-2023, 07:13 PM)NJgirl Wrote: Hello! I'm just starting to plan my BA in communications from TESU. 

I need the following classes and I'd love to take them quickly and as inexpensively as possible. I'm a decent test taker, and can usually complete assignments and tests pretty quickly. 

If you have any advice or recommendations, I would love to hear it! Thank you in advance!

1. (3) ENC-1020 English Composition II - Coopersmith, SDC, Sophia, CLEP, or TECEP
  2. (3) COM-2090 Public Speaking - Sophia
  3. (3) ETH-2200 Leading the Way: A Path Towards Ethical Leadership - Sophia
  4. (3) POS-1100 American Government Sophia
  5. (3) COM-2650 Communication in the Digital Age - not a required course, you can take any COM course 
  6. (3) COM-3300 Interpersonal Communication  - not a required course, you can take any COM course
  7. (3) COM-3350 Intercultural Communication  - not a required course, you can take any COM course
  8. (3) 300/400 level COM elective
  9. (3) 300/400 level COM elective
  10. (3) 300/400 level COM elective 

You can actually do this degree at TESU if you want to do the 15r FT/FR term at TESU, and do the 3 required courses, the cornerstone, and the capstone all at the same time.  It might be a heavy load though, and taking COM-1210 at the same time as COM-1200 might not even be allowed.  I might try to find Mass Comm I somewhere else for relatively cheap, and then do the rest as I stated.

For your COM electives, Sophia & SDC are your best bets (although there may be other options):

Sophia
Conflict Resolution (COM-2990)
Visual Communications (COM-2310)

SDC
Lower-Level
BUS 113: Business Communication (COM-2020)
COM 102: Interpersonal Communication (COM-2300)
COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Work Place (COM-2900)
COM 301: Diversity & Intercultural Communications (COM-1310)
Upper-Level
BUS 305: Leadership Communication (MAN-3760)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM-3910)
BUS 324: Managerial Communication (MAN-3730)
ENGL 305: Advanced Technical Writing (ENG-306)
BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management (NEG-4010)