Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules (/Thread-BAS-vs-BLS-and-Anabin-s-rules)

BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - any4yeardegree - 09-18-2023

Hi All,

Thank you all for your wonderful replies to my previous threads!

We recently received notification my hubby's company plans to transfer him to a project in Germany next year.  We're thrilled as we love to travel, especially in Europe, and have dreamed of living there for years.  It'll be a significant, though exciting, change from living our entire lives in the USA.

Thanks to posts by @Oktoberfest and the wealth knowledge from super moderator Rachel, I've learned about Anabin and how they view degrees obtained from American universities vs German universitites.  The Anabin website indicates there is no German equivalency to a BLS degree.  If you're going to Germany from the USA, they want a BS or BA, according to Anabin.

I was planning to attend UMPI for a BLS with a MIS minor, which is good enough for my current company. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to say Goodbye to my current company because they don't have a presence in Europe and probably won't allow me to work remotely.

Since this transfer has been decided, I now need to shelve the BLS idea.   I've spent years in IT so I prefer the BAS over the BABA.  I've applied to Pierpont and am finishing up my Google IT Support certification for a total of 40 technology credits.  When I apply to UMPI, I'll have more than 90 credits.  (I know they'll only apply 90 credits to my degree.)

This situation leads to a few questions:
Even though very close, the BAS, in terms of verbiage, is not a BA or BS.  Has anyone used the UMPI BAS to acquire an IT-related job in Germany or used it to acquire admission to an IT-related Master program in Germany?

Aside from the credentials of Liberal Studies vs Applied Science, how is the BAS with minor in Info Systems different from the BLS with minor in Info Systems?

Thank you in advance!

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - Tomas - 09-18-2023

If you will check Anabin, you'll find there is extremely small number of qualifications/degree types listed when USA is selected. IMHO, the fact that BLS is not present doesn't mean that much, just that you will have to ask for "recognition" (if at all neded). Most important is that they recognize UMPI as accredited institution.
If you have skill in IT, I don't think employer will care about BLS vs BAS differences. Basically, they'll understand you have attended accredited state university and you have uni degree. Sure, if there will be those who require degree in IT, you will not qualify - but to them there is no difference between BA or BS either, after all UMPI doesn't offer any CS degree.

Regarding IT related master, I'll suggest to submit question with IU.org. They are very cheap (in US terms) and state accredited. They require "undergraduate degree with 180 ECTS with a focus on Computer Science or computer-related subjects" but it's quite possible they will be "flexible", and it's for Computer Science degree. There are plenty other degrees at IU and other schools which are not rigorous CS and therefore requirements for bachelors will be less strict (IT management, information technology, business informatics,...). (That's not recomendation for IU, it's a private uni, State Universities in Germany are quite inexpensive / almost free (not sure if that's for everybody though or only EU residents)).

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - any4yeardegree - 09-18-2023

(09-18-2023, 05:58 PM)Tomas Wrote: If you will check Anabin, you'll find there is extremely small number of qualifications/degree types listed when USA is selected. IMHO, the fact that BLS is not present doesn't mean that much, just that you will have to ask for "recognition" (if at all neded). Most important is that they recognize UMPI as accredited institution.
If you have skill in IT, I don't think employer will care about BLS vs BAS differences. Basically, they'll understand you have attended accredited state university and you have uni degree. Sure, if there will be those who require degree in IT, you will not qualify - but to them there is no difference between BA or BS either, after all UMPI doesn't offer any CS degree.

Regarding IT related master, I'll suggest to submit question with IU.org. They are very cheap (in US terms) and state accredited. They require "undergraduate degree with 180 ECTS with a focus on Computer Science or computer-related subjects" but it's quite possible they will be "flexible", and it's for Computer Science degree. There are plenty other degrees at IU and other schools which are not rigorous CS and therefore requirements for bachelors will be less strict (IT management, information technology, business informatics,...). (That's not recomendation for IU, it's a private uni, State Universities in Germany are quite inexpensive / almost free (not sure if that's for everybody though or only EU residents)).

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did check the Anabin database.  That's why I said they want a BA or BS from students who graduate from American universities.

Considering which degree would be most helpful in Germany:
As you said, UMPI's doesn't offer a CS degree.  They do however have a BAS with minor in Information Systems.  I do need to check IT-related job requisitions in Germany to see if a minor in Info Systems would be acceptable.

Thanks for sharing the IU website.  It might be a futuristic option.  At this, I'm 75% done with my bachelor degree.  i don't want to start over at a university that probably won't transfer my Sophia credits or my other ACE credits, however, IU might work for a Master degree.

Thanks!

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - origamishuttle - 09-18-2023

(09-18-2023, 08:06 PM)any4yeardegree Wrote: As you said, UMPI's doesn't offer a CS degree.

UMPI offers the Computer Science major and minor now, but not in YourPace.

(09-18-2023, 08:06 PM)any4yeardegree Wrote: They do however have a BAS with minor in Information Systems.

UMPI does have the Bachelor of Applied Science degree, but it also is not in YourPace. However, the requirements of the BAS are such that it can be easily completed with a combination of transfer credits and YouPace courses, so they have been willing to allow YP students to graduate with the BAS degree. In fact, it may be possible to complete the Computer Science minor in tandem with another minor, such as Management Information Systems or Project Management:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-UMPI-Computer-Science-and-Cybersecurity-Minors

It will likely be challenging to transfer (or go through the painful PLA process for) Intro to Web Design and Discrete Math, but maybe?

(09-18-2023, 08:06 PM)any4yeardegree Wrote: I do need to check IT-related job requisitions in Germany to see if a minor in Info Systems would be acceptable.

I would also question whether the BAS is actually better than the BLS, since neither is a BA or BS. Have you considered the Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science at TESU?

Sample TESU BA Computer Science Plan - Degree Forum Wiki

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - ss20ts - 09-18-2023

Look at the BABA with Project Management Concentration. You'll complete all of the MIS courses in this program. You'll get a BA so you won't have to worry if it will be accepted in Germany. IT deals with a great deal of project management so you'll probably already be pretty familiar with many of those courses.

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - rachel83az - 09-19-2023

(09-18-2023, 09:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Look at the BABA with Project Management Concentration. You'll complete all of the MIS courses in this program. You'll get a BA so you won't have to worry if it will be accepted in Germany. IT deals with a great deal of project management so you'll probably already be pretty familiar with many of those courses.

I agree. While you might not be as thrilled about business classes as other classes available through YourPace, the BABA PM/MIS degree seems like the best compromise between German recognition and what you actually want to do.

Another option, depending on your budget, would be to switch schools and get a BACS or BACS/BABA CIS from TESU. It's not the BAS you were hoping for, but a BACS or BSBA CIS might feel more relevant to you than a BABA PM/MIS.

RE: BAS vs BLS and Anabin's rules - bjcheung77 - 09-19-2023

In short... If you're looking at the UMPI BAS and it's acceptable for you, here's the minor differences between BAS & BLS: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Minor-residency-requirement?pid=399488#pid399488