Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci (/Thread-TESU-Theater-Arts-BSBA-Entrepreneurship-vs-UMPI-s-Accounting-or-Hist-PoliSci)

Pages: 1 2

Questions about TESU degrees - trying2grad - 07-18-2023

Wait I'm trying my best to understand so I'm really sorry if I'm slow. But is it possible to study BA CS + BSBA Entrepreneurship or Accounting/CPA? Is it possible to swap out the BSBA CIS? How long does it take to finish the degrees once started if you want to finish as quickly as possible?

RE: Questions about TESU degrees - rachel83az - 07-18-2023

I've split your question into a new thread so that you can get more personalized assistance.

Yes, you could do BACS + BSBA Entrepreneurship or Accounting. The reason why BSBA CIS is suggested is because it only takes a handful of extra classes, if you plan right. Entrepreneurship or Accounting have essentially no overlap, so you'd need to complete more classes to finish the degree. You could also do the BACS + BSBA CIS and BSBA Entrepreneurship or BSBA Accounting for only slightly more effort than just doing the BACS + BSBA Entrepreneurship or BSBA Accounting.

The speed will depend upon the student, the degree(s) chosen, and the classes chosen for each degree. Depending on how much time you have to devote to study, I would guess that "finishing as quickly as possible" can be done in approximately 6 to 18 months. Again, it's really variable and depends on a lot of factors.

RE: Questions about TESU degrees - bjcheung77 - 07-18-2023

@trying2grad, Welcome to the board, there are so many various variables at play and each person has a different scenario/situation. It's best for you to fill in the template and last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

For reference, here's a thread you may want to read, specifically this post and my answers after that: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-TESU-BA-Double-Major?pid=397188#pid397188

TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - trying2grad - 08-18-2023

Hi guys. This one's for me.

Your Location: South Africa
Your Age: 23
What kind of degree do you want?: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship (passion) or a UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci (a need)
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 30, foreign equivalent.

Hokkaido University: 30 credits for Humanities (History, Society, Politics, and Culture) and Japanese Language (with a Japanese Language course certificate). (English program, transcripts are in English). (incomplete) 

ACT Cape Town (vocational): 95 credits for Acting for Film. (incomplete)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 95

I have a lot of time currently on my hands.

I was initially interested in pursuing a business degree at UMPI as it seemed the easiest and fastest,  as finishing quickly is my highest priority. But I saw that it is BABA, BLS, etc.. instead of a normal BS or BA. I am international, so stuff like that can get a bit murky, even though I plan to do my master's in person in America, I need to think of a backup in case it doesn't work out. (Btw, do all US Master uni programs accept BABAs, BLS, etc.. offered at UMPI?). So my safest bet is a BA in Accounting or BA in Political Science and History. I am leaning more toward accounting even though I am terrible at math, because accounting is stable, in demand, and sets a foundation for future entrepreneurship, but again, it is a BA rather than a BS in accounting which worries me a bit about job prospects in my country. History used to be my passion, I mean, I still like it, but my university experience kinda killed the writing aspect of it due to certain teachers, imo, but again, fast is my priority, so if it is faster to do a BA in Hist/PoliSci, as it seems the most stable and traditional, and I am good/experienced due to my focus of it in Japan, then so be it.

I was looking at TESU to explore further options and wanted to choose BSBA Entrepreneurship as I enjoy that, but what really made me happy to see was Theater Arts as it is my passion, as you can see above from the most credits I received. If I end up with TESU, is it possible to do a double degree with BSBA Entre + Theater Studies? If I did that, it would definitely take longer though right? And I think double/joint degrees only work if one is a BS and the other is a BA seeing from the BACS and BSBA CIS Double Degree Plan? I also don't see a degree plan for Theater Arts, so which degree plan would closely resemble that, the music plan one? 

As speed is my highest priority, I don't mind doing a UMPI degree just so I can get a degree. But reading further about TESU, I saw if I have at least 24 RA credits or foreign equivalent RA credits, I may only need to do 6 credits at TESU in total. Of course, I am still reading up on it further, like Upper Level vs Lower Level credits,  but I am hoping that my 30 credits from a top and global accredited Japanese University is solid once I finally submit my transcripts to WES. (Btw, does TESU also take WES like UMPI? I think I saw that they had their own outside credit evaluation system. Can both also determine UP/LL credits?)

Sorry for such a long post of confusion, questions, and possible straight-up wrong info. With ADHD and learning all these new American terms, systems,  etc.. it's taking a while get through everything. Just reading up for my mom made me take a month break, and now I'm back finishing some last touches with her plan, information, etc.. but getting a head start with mine.

Thanks for your help!

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - rachel83az - 08-18-2023

Okay, so, first thing's first: in the US, BA vs. BS very rarely matters. Generally speaking, a degree is a BA when the general education (non major) credits are mostly humanities. It's BS when the general education credits contain more math/science. Most of the time, it has absolutely nothing to do with the classes taken in the major.

UMPI has good standing in countries like Germany where they're stricter on what constitutes a degree. In Germany, TESU is on a "we must see the exact degree first" grounds. Most degrees from TESU would probably be fine in most countries. All UMPI degrees should also be fine, though I would hesitate to suggest a BLS (or BALS) to someone who might use their degree outside of the US. Those are "weird" degrees that other countries may not know how to deal with.

For TESU, if you want to do a double degree of most kinds, it's possible. However, if you don't already have enough credit in the right areas, getting a Theater Studies degree is going to be impossible. So, your first step would be to get those credits evaluated. Yes, both UMPI and TESU take WES. If you have 3rd/4th year theater credits, however, it might be worth using a different evaluation service. WES can be... questionable and may not count them as UL equivalent, even if they should be.

I would say to get your credits evaluated further so we know exactly what you have and where you might stand for both TESU and UMPI.

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - bjcheung77 - 08-18-2023

@OP, it really depends on your needs, wants, and scenario, as there are so many variables at play... Guess who decides on what you are going to do and take? We can only advise, and yet, those advice you get will go in every direction. That is the reason for the addendum and template... Just like the thread for your mom, you've got the template done pretty well, but both are missing the addendum! I believe your best bet would be to do the UMPI degree as you can have a major, then add as many minors as you want... This was indicate in your mom's thread on the last two posts. The answer on "how" to do so hasn't... So, to answer that, it's all transferring credits that are not on the Yourpace platform.

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - LevelUP - 08-18-2023

(08-18-2023, 07:27 AM)trying2grad Wrote: I am leaning more toward accounting even though I am terrible at math, because accounting is stable, in demand, and sets a foundation for future entrepreneurship.

Accounting, except for the basics you learn with any Business Admin degree, is all you need for entrepreneurship.

With entrepreneurship, the main thing you need to learn is marketing. Though entrepreneurship requires many areas of knowledge, a double concentration in marketing and finance/management would be a good idea.

For your free electives, you could take courses such as:

Introduction to Entrepreneurship, Human Resources Management, Supply Chain Management, Project Management, and Advanced Operations Management.

The creative aspect of entrepreneurship can be helpful in marketing and leveraging social media. 

Entrepreneurship is not for a lazy person. Be ready to work 80 hours a week without knowing if you will ever get paid for your work. 

[Image: Ikigai.png]

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - trying2grad - 08-18-2023

(08-18-2023, 08:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you have 3rd/4th year theater credits, however, it might be worth using a different evaluation service. WES can be... questionable and may not count them as UL equivalent, even if they should be.

Is there another evaluation assessment like WES you could recommend to tackle this issue if it were to happen?

Thank you for answering so many of my questions!

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - rachel83az - 08-18-2023

ACEI seems fairly reasonable, at least based on what students have gotten through them from Finnish universities. Unfortunately, I think UMPI only accepts WES. But TESU has a short list of evaluators that they find acceptable. https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/apply-international-student

RE: TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci - trying2grad - 08-18-2023

(08-18-2023, 10:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, it really depends on your needs, wants, and scenario, as there are so many variables at play... Guess who decides on what you are going to do and take? We can only advise, and yet, those advice you get will go in every direction.  That is the reason for the addendum and template... Just like the thread for your mom, you've got the template done pretty well, but both are missing the addendum!  I believe your best bet would be to do the UMPI degree as you can have a major, then add as many minors as you want... This was indicate in your mom's thread on the last two posts.  The answer on "how" to do so hasn't... So, to answer that, it's all transferring credits that are not on the Yourpace platform.

Oh I see, I must've missed it on the page. I'll update my post. But basically, quickness is my priority and wanted to gauge on how fast each degree would be assuming I had all the required outside credits, especially the Theater Arts one because I haven't seen anyone talk about that one in particular nor any plans.

(08-18-2023, 10:42 AM)LevelUP Wrote: [quote='trying2grad' pid='400602' dateline='1692361629']
I am leaning more toward accounting even though I am terrible at math, because accounting is stable, in demand, and sets a foundation for future entrepreneurship.

Accounting, except for the basics you learn with any Business Admin degree, is all you need for entrepreneurship.

With entrepreneurship, the main thing you need to learn is marketing. Though entrepreneurship requires many areas of knowledge, a double concentration in marketing and finance/management would be a good idea.

For your free electives, you could take courses such as:

Introduction to Entrepreneurship, Human Resources Management, Supply Chain Management, Project Management, and Advanced Operations Management.

The creative aspect of entrepreneurship can be helpful in marketing and leveraging social media. 

Entrepreneurship is not for a lazy person. Be ready to work 80 hours a week without knowing if you will ever get paid for your work. 

Thanks for the tips, lol I already work those hours in my free time for just planning.