Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Minor residency requirement? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Minor residency requirement? (/Thread-Minor-residency-requirement)

Minor residency requirement? - saltedshrooms - 08-08-2023

I have been lurking this forum almost every day for the better part of this year, just wanted to start out with a thank you to everyone that helps run this forum, it's a blessing a community like this exists. 

After seemingly never ending analysis paralysis, I've applied to the UMPI BLS with a minor in management, bringing in 106 credits (96 Sophia, 9 Coursera, and 1 from the ASU freebie). My question today, is whether or not there's a credit requirement for how many credits out of a minor must be completed at UMPI? I've completed the transfer equivalency for BUS141 & PCJ215, would i be alright doing the SDC equivalent of BUS240 & BUS260? That way my two remaining classes for the minor would go towards the 24 UL credit requirement?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if this has been answered multiple times... it can often be hard to find specific answers in a forum

RE: Minor residency requirement? - ss20ts - 08-08-2023

I wouldn't take more classes outside of UMPI. You are required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. Only 90 of the 106 you've already transferred will be transferred into your degree program. At one point, you were required to complete a minimum of 9 credits in the Minor at UMPI and the majority of the 24 UL credits also had to be completed at UMPI.

RE: Minor residency requirement? - bjcheung77 - 08-08-2023

There are discrepancies with each degree you go with at UMPI, there is really no "set" requirement except for 30 credit residency. This is because of the degree requirements and the upper level credits you transfer in differ from each degree you select. UMPI has several Yourpace BA, BABA, BAS, and BLS options... Here are two other examples.

BAS: The student must take at least 30 credits of his/her BAS coursework at UMPI, 12 of which must be in a selected minor and 18 of which must be upper level courses (300-400). These 18 upper level credits taken at UMPI may be taken as part of the GEC, the minor, or as elective credit. Requirement: 40 "technical credits" are needed to gain entrance into this degree, as an example, a few Coursera, Google, IBM, or ACE options if they are deemed acceptable as IS/IT technical courses.

BLS: There are four components to the degree:
➤ The student must meet the University’s General Education requirements worth 40 credits.
➤ The student must select a minor from offerings in the current UMPI catalog.
➤ A minimum of 24 credits of the electives for the BLS degree must be in the 300-400 level courses.
➤ A minimum of 30 credits of the BLS coursework must be done at UMPI.

For a BAS or BLS minor, each one may already have 6 UL credits of the 18 credits in the minor, there aren't enough UL to cover the 18 in the BAS or 24 in the BLS. Thus, instead of randomly taking credits towards that requirement, you can add a minor or two and in turn, add the UL credits needed.

RE: Minor residency requirement? - sixdegreesandamovie - 08-10-2023

(08-08-2023, 01:42 AM)saltedshrooms Wrote: I have been lurking this forum almost every day for the better part of this year, just wanted to start out with a thank you to everyone that helps run this forum, it's a blessing a community like this exists. 

After seemingly never ending analysis paralysis, I've applied to the UMPI BLS with a minor in management, bringing in 106 credits (96 Sophia, 9 Coursera, and 1 from the ASU freebie). My question today, is whether or not there's a credit requirement for how many credits out of a minor must be completed at UMPI? I've completed the transfer equivalency for BUS141 & PCJ215, would i be alright doing the SDC equivalent of BUS240 & BUS260? That way my two remaining classes for the minor would go towards the 24 UL credit requirement?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if this has been answered multiple times... it can often be hard to find specific answers in a forum

Hello! I just got my degree plan updated for the BLS in Management. I've attached it. I had transferred in BUS 141, PCJ 215, and BUS 350 through Sophia. Jessica emailed me and said she could only apply BUS 141 and PCJ 215. She said I couldn't apply BUS 350 as I wouldn't be meeting residency requirements for the minor. So it seems to be the case that 12 credits of the 18 credit minor have to be completed in residence. I attached that communication too. I hope this helps!

[attachment=4610]
[attachment=4611]

RE: Minor residency requirement? - ss20ts - 08-10-2023

BUS350 isn't required for your minor. That's why it didn't transfer. You need to complete BUS353 or BUS352 as stated on the degree evaluation form as those are required for the degree. BUS350 may transfer into your 24 UL credits, but you're still required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. That's why I previously said not to take anymore courses elsewhere as they won't transfer.