Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
English Composition II - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: English Composition II (/Thread-English-Composition-II--43367)

Pages: 1 2

English Composition II - Vin - 04-11-2023

I am currently pursuing BSBA CIS at TESU and need to take English Composition II.  I completed English Comp I thanks to transfer credit from college.

What is the best option for completing English Comp II - Sophia or Study?
Or is there another option I should be considering?
I have to also admit I was never great at English courses or writing.

Update: Study.com now requires 6 writing assignments for English Comp II. Your grade is based on 10% Quizzes, 20 % Final Exam and 70% written assignments.
I think in a prior post someone mentioned it was once only 3.
Sophia requires you to complete 7 touchstones and 9 assessments/challenges

RE: English Composition II - Pats20 - 04-11-2023

I can only speak for Sophia. Comp 2 took 40 actual work days at around 150 hours. It wasn’t a cake walk by any means, but you will become a better writer as a result. I recommend.

RE: English Composition II - rachel83az - 04-12-2023

Another option for TESU would be the English Comp TECEP.

At SDC, there are 6 writing assignments but that doesn't mean you have to complete them all. Unlike at Sophia, where you must do every assignment, you can stop as soon as you've hit the minimum point value. Example: you get 95% on the quizzes, then you take the exam and you get 85%. This gives you 180 out of 210 points. Now check the rubric to see which papers are easiest and/or worth the most points. While you work on another SDC class, start submitting papers for English Comp. Keep track of your grades. As soon as you hit a total of 210 points, you can just submit halfhearted papers for the rest. Some students have reported success with papers that only say something like "I am submitting this blank paper for a grade because I already have enough points to pass." You then get a 0, but that doesn't matter if you already have at least 210 points total.

Bear in mind that if you ever might want to continue to grad school at some point in the future, they might want to see the actual grades for SDC and Sophia, in order to accurately calculate an overall GPA. Not all schools bother to do this, but it's something to know.

RE: English Composition II - allvia - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 04:22 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Another option for TESU would be the English Comp TECEP.

At SDC, there are 6 writing assignments but that doesn't mean you have to complete them all. Unlike at Sophia, where you must do every assignment, you can stop as soon as you've hit the minimum point value. Example: you get 95% on the quizzes, then you take the exam and you get 85%. This gives you 180 out of 210 points. Now check the rubric to see which papers are easiest and/or worth the most points. While you work on another SDC class, start submitting papers for English Comp. Keep track of your grades. As soon as you hit a total of 210 points, you can just submit halfhearted papers for the rest. Some students have reported success with papers that only say something like "I am submitting this blank paper for a grade because I already have enough points to pass." You then get a 0, but that doesn't matter if you already have at least 210 points total.

Bear in mind that if you ever might want to continue to grad school at some point in the future, they might want to see the actual grades for SDC and Sophia, in order to accurately calculate an overall GPA. Not all schools bother to do this, but it's something to know.

Comp II at SDC is now showing 70% from the assignments - https://study.com/academy/course/english-205-english-composition-ii.html#information

The TECEP may be a good option for the OP in this case (aside from Sophia) if they need more RA credit anyway. There are resources available to prep for the TECEP Comp II, and if for some reason they don't pass doesn't hurt any GPA (as it just doesn't report). Actually, if the OP is already active with Study - they offer a TECEP Comp II Prep - https://study.com/academy/course/tecep-english-composition-ii-study-guide-test-prep.html

RE: English Composition II - rachel83az - 04-12-2023

Oh, ouch, I don't think it was 70% before at SDC! That seems a bit much and may indeed be more difficult to complete now than Sophia is.

RE: English Composition II - P226mem - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 04:22 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Another option for TESU would be the English Comp TECEP.

At SDC, there are 6 writing assignments but that doesn't mean you have to complete them all. Unlike at Sophia, where you must do every assignment, you can stop as soon as you've hit the minimum point value.

in addition to the those assignments are 70% of total grade aspect..... wanted to add in my two cents

I was just looking at the SDC English Comp II assignments.  Those six assignments work together as good prep work for TESU's Lib 495 capstone in my opinion (based on looking at the assignments and having done LIB 495 in 2021)

I understand the general SDC strategy you're sharing about "not completing them all and reaching points level" as applied to most courses on SDC that are recommended on this forum.  However, I just think with this specific course, it's a little different in ways more than about reaching points to pass. The assignments build on each other for a larger research paper with presentation.  Maybe it's not the quickest way to earn credit for composition 2. Definitely not same category as the general strategy of "oh, I reached points" and turn in an assignment that gets minimum or zero points.

RE: English Composition II - fromthedepths - 04-12-2023

Regarding Sophia, it didn't take me as long, but it was definitely slow when it came to grading each touchstone. I had to reach out to support and they were able to speed up some of the grading.

RE: English Composition II - Pats20 - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 11:27 AM)fromthedepths Wrote: Regarding Sophia, it didn't take me as long, but it was definitely slow when it came to grading each touchstone. I had to reach out to support and they were able to speed up some of the grading.
Yes. That’s what I’ve heard from some. I had a stickler for a grader. She was tough. I quickly learned that I needed to slow down, dot my I’s and cross my T’s. Lol. Plus I’m probably a slow poke  anyways. Lol ?

RE: English Composition II - fromthedepths - 04-12-2023

Agreed. It's hard to recommend Sophia for Eng II, although the course did focus on the areas to make me a better writer. It's just getting past the lengthy grading.

RE: English Composition II - LevelUP - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 09:57 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Oh, ouch, I don't think it was 70% before at SDC! That seems a bit much and may indeed be more difficult to complete now than Sophia is.

(04-12-2023, 10:16 AM)P226mem Wrote: in addition to the those assignments are 70% of total grade aspect..... wanted to add in my two cents

I was just looking at the SDC English Comp II assignments.  Those six assignments work together as good prep work for TESU's Lib 495 capstone in my opinion (based on looking at the assignments and having done LIB 495 in 2021)

I understand the general SDC strategy you're sharing about "not completing them all and reaching points level" as applied to most courses on SDC that are recommended on this forum.  However,  I just think with this specific course, it's a little different in ways more than about reaching points to pass. The assignments build on each other for a larger research paper with presentation.  Maybe it's not the quickest way to earn credit for composition 2. Definitely not same category as the general strategy of "oh, I reached points" and turn in an assignment that gets minimum or zero points.

SDC English 205 is good practice if you are specifically going to be doing the TESU Liberal Arts capstone.

The assignment is worth 70%, but the quizzes are only worth 10%.  Considering you average 85% on your papers, you can get a 50% on the final exam and 0% on the quizzes.

Or average 80% on papers, 100% on quizzes, and you only need 25% on the final to pass. 

You get 3 free attempts to turn in papers for the best grade. 

This course may not be fast, but it's easy to pass.