Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS (/Thread-Need-advice-on-remaining-classes-for-BLS)

Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - fromthedepths - 03-01-2023

Your Location: Texas
Your Age: 45
What kind of degree do you want?: BLS
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 9

School Name Total Credits: MACU - via Tel Learning

Class Name, Credits, Grade

CMSC-1303 Computer Literacy           CH 3 A
ENGL-1103 English Comp I              CH 3 A
POLS-1103 American Federal Government CH 3 A

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia
Human Biology
Chemistry
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
US History 1
US History 2
Art History 1
Art History 2
English Comp 2
Intro to Business
Visual Communications
Workplace Communications
Intro to Web Development
Intro to Python
Introduction to Ethics
Environmental Science
Project Management
Principles of Finance
Developing Effective Teams
Conflict Resolution
Intro to Statistics
College Algebra

CLEP
Spanish

Coursera
Google IT Certificate

Provider Total Credits: # 88
Class Name, Credits, Grade

Any certifications or military experience? CISSP, OSCP

I have been a long time lurker and finally bit the bullet to finish some form of degree. I grew up in a cult and it was pretty much forbidden to have any higher learning, so this means a lot to me as I am trying to encourage my daughter to prepare for college. Cost isn't an option since work will cover a lot of the bill. Because of the this, I'm leaning to Excelsior's BLS as I can bring 113 credits with me. I've seen few threads on different SDC classes to take but looking for some suggestions on what would get me to 113 total before I enroll.

Thank y'all!

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - rachel83az - 03-02-2023

Excelsior does allow 113 credits to be brought in, but 30 of them must be UL. It can be difficult to get enough UL credit to qualify for an Excelsior degree. Since your work will be paying for it, have you considered TESU? TESU only requires 15 UL credits (plus capstone for a total of 18). They also have a wider number of degrees available. Perhaps you'd be interested in TESU's Comp Sci degree instead of a Liberal Studies degree?

Also, TESU will accept your English Comp 2 while Excelsior WILL NOT. You'd need to take it again from Study.com.

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - allvia - 03-02-2023

Being the OP is in TX wouldn't one of the TAMUC degrees be a good fit? - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-TAMUC-Competency-Based-Program-List

That's a good point! TAMUC is a good option for Texas residents. They don't have any tech-related ones, but the Org Leadership one could be a good choice for someone who might want to move into management later.

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - fromthedepths - 03-02-2023

I never thought of TAMUC. I see that I would need to take a Texas Government class there but that shouldn't be too difficult. I'll apply and let everyone know how it goes.

Thank you!

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - TwinMom - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 04:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Excelsior does allow 113 credits to be brought in, but 30 of them must be UL. It can be difficult to get enough UL credit to qualify for an Excelsior degree. Since your work will be paying for it, have you considered TESU? TESU only requires 15 UL credits (plus capstone for a total of 18). They also have a wider number of degrees available. Perhaps you'd be interested in TESU's Comp Sci degree instead of a Liberal Studies degree?

Also, TESU will accept your English Comp 2 while Excelsior WILL NOT. You'd need to take it again from Study.com.

Wait, I guess I missed this change. I thought it was Excelsior that wouldn't accept Sophia English 2 for a Business degree. But TESU won't take it at all for a LS degree?

(03-02-2023, 02:03 PM)TwinMom Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 04:55 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Excelsior does allow 113 credits to be brought in, but 30 of them must be UL. It can be difficult to get enough UL credit to qualify for an Excelsior degree. Since your work will be paying for it, have you considered TESU? TESU only requires 15 UL credits (plus capstone for a total of 18). They also have a wider number of degrees available. Perhaps you'd be interested in TESU's Comp Sci degree instead of a Liberal Studies degree?

Wait, I guess I missed this change. I thought it was Excelsior that wouldn't accept Sophia English 2 for a Business degree. But TESU won't take it at all for a LS degree?

Yes, that's what I said. TESU WILL accept English Comp 2 from Sophia. Excelsior DOES NOT accept English Comp 2 from Sophia. 

Excelsior also does not accept any English Comp CLEPs.

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - dfrecore - 03-02-2023

(03-02-2023, 02:03 PM)TwinMom Wrote:

This is not true - they will take SDC's English Comp II course - as long as you're getting a degree that doesn't specifically require something else.  You should be good with the BLS & English Comp II from SDC.

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - smarterby1degree - 03-02-2023

Excelsior DOES still accept English Composition II from Sophia. I'm a partner with Excelsior and just brought up their mistake AGAIN in our meeting today. I have been asking them to fix that since Dec. The mistake was made on their Sophia partner page and Sophia site when they stopped accepting it in the Business and Tech degrees. 

They DO still accept English Composition II for BSLA and Psych degrees and any other degree that is not a business or tech degree. They said again today that they are going to fix it. ENG 102: Business Writing at Coopersmith is accepted for the business and tech degrees.

RE: Need advice on remaining classes for BLS - bjcheung77 - 03-03-2023

smarterby1degree Wrote:Excelsior DOES still accept English Composition II from Sophia. I'm a partner with Excelsior and just brought up their mistake AGAIN in our meeting today. I have been asking them to fix that since Dec. The mistake was made on their Sophia partner page and Sophia site when they stopped accepting it in the Business and Tech degrees. 

They DO still accept English Composition II for BSLA and Psych degrees and any other degree that is not a business or tech degree. They said again today that they are going to fix it. ENG 102: Business Writing at Coopersmith is accepted for the business and tech degrees.

Thanks for letting us know... I only thought the change was for their Business degree, but it's good to know that limitation was also set for their Tech degree as well... So, only the BSLA and other degrees such as their Psych degree is not affected...