Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider (/Thread-Girls-Go-to-College-to-Get-More-Knowledge-Boys-Go-to-Jupiter-to-Get-More-Stupider)

Pages: 1 2

Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - LevelUP - 01-20-2023

Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider
https://www.tiktok.com/@cheeseparade/video/7180069279218306346

Nearly 60% of students are women while only about 40% are men, an education gap that has been widening for decades
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/todaysdebate/2021/09/15/college-fewer-men-hurts-america/8278887002/

What can be done to solve the gender gap?

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - rachel83az - 01-20-2023

People should go where they want to go. It's not like a 90/10 men/women, as it used to be; it's pretty close to even. After being told for generations that trades are for "stupid people" or "losers", more men are going back into trades. This is good! There is a shortage of people who want to be plumbers, electricians, etc. One could argue that we should also encourage women to enter the trades. Maybe this is true, but maybe fewer women want to be in the trades. Why not let everyone go where they want?

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - smartdegree - 01-20-2023

I totally agree everyone should be able to do whatever they want in terms of educational goals.

I think the only thing this impacts is the dating market. No kidding. I read in an article, the reason many women are single is that they search for men with the same level of education, and the college gender gap / imbalance results in a lack of supply of men Smile

Here's a nice article about this trend:
https://archive.ph/5sD80

If college educated women are more open to dating men in trades, then that solves the gender imbalance problem. But the article seems to mention that college educated women are not willing to do so.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - Vle045 - 12-04-2023

(01-20-2023, 10:23 AM)smartdegree Wrote: I totally agree everyone should be able to do whatever they want in terms of educational goals.  

I think the only thing this impacts is the dating market.  No kidding.  I read in an article, the reason many women are single is that they search for men with the same level of education, and the college gender gap / imbalance results in a lack of supply of men  Smile

Here's a nice article about this trend:
https://archive.ph/5sD80

If college educated women are more open to dating men in trades, then that solves the gender imbalance problem.  But the article seems to mention that college educated women are not willing to do so.

Those women are pretty stupid for being “educated”.   I went to college.  My husband did not.  He makes more than double what I make.  Go figure.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - Pats20 - 12-04-2023

I think we all know people that don’t have a college education or even any post high school training that are incredibly intelligent. As well as college graduates that seem to be on the other end of the spectrum, that makes you wonder how they made it through.

I don’t believe formal education = intelligence.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - freeloader - 12-04-2023

I think you all are being too optimistic that people, young men especially, are electing to enter trades rather than going to college.

There has been a small uptick in young people entering trade-oriented training programs in recent years, but the numbers are much smaller than the decline in people attending college. Worth noting that there are more than 2 Baby Boomer tradesmen retiring for each young person entering trade-oriented training programs.

It seems more likely that young men either aren’t working or are working in unskilled jobs. It’s hard to argue with the logic when you can make $15 or more per hour in a lot of retail setting, food service, warehouses, etc, and these amounts are often in line with or even better than entry-level white collar jobs.

The problem for millions of young people, and especially young men, is that they seem to be doing things with very limited upside. Entry level office jobs or trade jobs have far greater potential to lead to moderate- to high-paying jobs in the future than what too many young men are selecting.

Also worth noting that the uptick in participation in trade-oriented training programs isn’t being driven by 16-20 year olds, but by 21-35 year olds, including increasing numbers of people who have attended non-trade oriented college and university programs and either quit or graduated and shifted to a trade.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - bjcheung77 - 12-04-2023

Deleted post #4, the spammer quoted Rachel83AZ message and inserted a paragraph with a link within the quoted message, then responded to the message encouraging members to sign up, and it bumped this 10-11 month old thread to get responses...

Edit To Add: It's sometimes hard to notice these things, but if you do, please report the spammer.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - origamishuttle - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 12:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Edit To Add: It's sometimes hard to notice these things, but if you do, please report the spammer.

Thank you for being vigilant, Bryan! And thank you to all the moderators for your tireless efforts to make this forum work!

I would also encourage everyone to stay alert. These rogue posts happen regularly, so the more members we have that are willing to report them, the faster our mods can fix them.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - ss20ts - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 09:29 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Those women are pretty stupid for being “educated”.   I went to college.  My husband did not.  He makes more than double what I make.  Go figure.

Salary doesn't always have anything to do with being educated. I live in a state where teachers are required to have master's degrees and then they're paid $48K a year. Different industries have different salaries. Women also make less than men for the same job. This has been well documented for many years.

RE: Girls Go to College to Get More Knowledge, Boys Go to Jupiter to Get More Stupider - Vle045 - 12-04-2023

(12-04-2023, 01:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(12-04-2023, 09:29 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Those women are pretty stupid for being “educated”.   I went to college.  My husband did not.  He makes more than double what I make.  Go figure.

Salary doesn't always have anything to do with being educated. I live in a state where teachers are required to have master's degrees and then they're paid $48K a year. Different industries have different salaries. Women also make less than men for the same job. This has been well documented for many years.

True… which is another reason why women looking for someone as “educated” as they are is stupid.  Education doesn’t = intellect.