Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Course Hero - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Course Hero (/Thread-Course-Hero)

Course Hero - Alpha - 08-19-2021

Course Hero buys CliffNotes and QuillBot
Online education unicorn Course Hero buys CliffsNotes - Silicon Valley Business Journal (bizjournals.com)
Course Hero | Make every study hour count

RE: Course Hero - nomaduser - 08-19-2021

Course hero makes profit from pirated course materials. I'm curious how long they will last??
Universities can sue them any time for billion dollars of damages.

RE: Course Hero - ss20ts - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 12:06 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Course hero makes profit from pirated course materials. I'm curious how long they will last??
Universities can sue them any time for billion dollars of damages.

Suing and winning are 2 different things. If the universities really feel that they have a case, how come they haven't already sued?

RE: Course Hero - bjcheung77 - 08-19-2021

They're just trying to change their tactics so it looks more legit to what they're doing... I mean, I would never recommend them to anyone. They've legally purchased Cliffnotes, most of their material is great for review/retaining info, but it may not be the same topics for each class. Basically, stay away from Course Hero. Cliffnotes is a good option for review/preview of information.

Course hero makes money from getting students to copy/paste and share their course grading and answers for each course at different schools - how is that helping people learn is beyond me, I just don't know how "learning" is involved with them... they don't "show" the process of getting the answers to a calculation, they just show answers... how do people learn concepts?

RE: Course Hero - MNomadic - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 12:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: They're just trying to change their tactics so it looks more legit to what they're doing...  I mean, I would never recommend them to anyone.  They've legally purchased Cliffnotes, most of their material is great for review/retaining info, but it may not be the same topics for each class.  Basically, stay away from Course Hero.  Cliffnotes is a good option for review/preview of information.

Course hero makes money from getting students to copy/paste and share their course grading and answers for each course at different schools - how is that helping people learn is beyond me, I just don't know how "learning" is involved with them... they don't "show" the process of getting the answers to a calculation, they just show answers... how do people learn concepts?

To be fair, I've looked at course hero a few times for an online class with an unresponsive professor/classmates. I've never blindly copied anyone's answers but sometimes it helps to see an example of what someone else has submitted in the past. For math problems I've struggled with, sometimes if I can at least see what the correct answer is, I can reverse engineer the process to get there. But I agree, 99% of course hero is basically academic dishonesty.

RE: Course Hero - Flelm - 08-19-2021

(08-19-2021, 01:25 PM)MNomadic Wrote: To be fair, I've looked at course hero a few times for an online class with an unresponsive professor/classmates. I've never blindly copied anyone's answers but sometimes it helps to see an example of what someone else has submitted in the past. For math problems I've struggled with, sometimes if I can at least see what the correct answer is, I can reverse engineer the process to get there. But I agree, 99% of course hero is basically academic dishonesty.

I have used course hero in exactly the same way, but more because I have a bit of decision paralysis when starting a new project sometimes. I don't know where to begin, so having an outline helps me. I have never/would never copy any content though, and that's really what it's geared towards.