Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? (/Thread-Do-most-college-professors-teach-at-multiple-schools)

Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - Vle045 - 08-10-2021

I googled a couple of my recent instructors.  I found that they all pop up at several different universities.  Is that common or some crazy coincidence?  I am a bit surprised by this…

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - jsd - 08-10-2021

Unless they've got tenure at a good school, it's not uncommon. Adjunct professors are all over the place, kind of have to be with the pay they're getting if they're only picking up a few classes from each school.

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - Vle045 - 08-10-2021

(08-10-2021, 08:50 PM)jsd Wrote: Unless they've got tenure at a good school, it's not uncommon. Adjunct professors are all over the place, kind of have to be with the pay they're getting if they're only picking up a few classes from each school.

Interesting.  I guess I never thought of it like that. Most people that I have known who worked as adjunct had a full time job in their field.  Like the attorney I used to work for and my friend who is a graphic artist. 
All of my professors at Gannon for my Paralegal program were also attorneys or paralegals.

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - jsd - 08-10-2021

That kind of situation also totally makes sense and is probably also not uncommon. Sounds much more stable to me.

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - dfrecore - 08-11-2021

(08-10-2021, 08:55 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 08:50 PM)jsd Wrote: Unless they've got tenure at a good school, it's not uncommon. Adjunct professors are all over the place, kind of have to be with the pay they're getting if they're only picking up a few classes from each school.

Interesting.  I guess I never thought of it like that. Most people that I have known who worked as adjunct had a full time job in their field.  Like the attorney I used to work for and my friend who is a graphic artist. 
All of my professors at Gannon for my Paralegal program were also attorneys or paralegals.

At GGU, all professors were required to work in the industry they taught for - so all of my business professors owned businesses or worked at companies.  All of their examples for things that came up were real-world examples.  It was nice.

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - ss20ts - 08-11-2021

It seems like most online programs have adjunct faculty. Most of mine (at CSU Global and Charleston) have had 9-5 type jobs and adjunct on the side. Some have multiple adjunct positions. Adjuncts don't make much $$$. At UMPI, all of my professors taught on campus in addition to the YourPace program. Most of them were full time UMPI/UM employees. I know for the grad degree that is different.

RE: Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? - sanantone - 08-11-2021

There are adjuncts who solely depend on adjunct income, and there are full-time professionals who are also teaching at multiple colleges.