Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
BALS COSC vs TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: BALS COSC vs TESU (/Thread-BALS-COSC-vs-TESU)

BALS COSC vs TESU - AJ_Atlanta - 09-22-2018

Okay, so I know things have been changing but can anyone summarize the advantages / disadvantages of a BALS at these two schools?  I know the Shmoop v TESU changes may have impacted things as well, but is it enough to favor Charter Oaks?

Thanks for the help (and any sheets for a plan out there?)

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - allvia - 09-22-2018

Do you have any existing Shmoop credits?

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - bjcheung77 - 09-22-2018

Have you taken more courses such as Shmoop or from other providers since you updated your signature? Basically get all the ACE/NCCRS credits you can cheap/easy/fast - I would recommend going for CLEP/MS, OnlineDegree.com/Saylor.org for your general education, electives, and AOS lower level requirements. Finish the degree with the Study.com UL AOS courses.

Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - AJ_Atlanta - 09-22-2018

No I have not updated my signature in a bit, a handful of additional credits. I am not sure how that would apply to the differences between the two programs unless I am missing something?

(09-22-2018, 03:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Have you taken more courses such as Shmoop or from other providers since you updated your signature?  Basically get all the ACE/NCCRS credits you can cheap/easy/fast - I would recommend going for CLEP/MS, OnlineDegree.com/Saylor.org for your general education, electives, and AOS lower level requirements.  Finish the degree with the Study.com UL AOS courses.

Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down

I don't know anything about OnlineDegree.com (new?) but dang if those Saylor courses a disorganized pain.  Wish they just had a single book/ebook to study; going all over (if all links work) is so very very time consuming

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - MNomadic - 09-22-2018

Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

Yes OD is very new and a great option if there are courses that can fit into your degree. They only have 15 right now. The good news is they are talks with setting up direct transfer agreements with both TESU and COSC.

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - AJ_Atlanta - 09-22-2018

(09-22-2018, 04:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

Yes OD is very new and a great option if there are courses that can fit into your degree. They only have 15 right now. The good news is they are talks with setting up direct transfer agreements with both TESU and COSC.

I am interested in adding some additional history credits from Shmoop if possible; not a lot of inexpensive history credits out there and none that I know of as low per as Shmoop.  But regardless of that I am still curious what/why TESU v Charter

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - sanantone - 09-22-2018

(09-22-2018, 05:37 PM)AJ_Atlanta Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 04:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Depends on which credits you have and from where to see which program they would fit better into. For instance, if you had a bunch of Shmoop credits already or wanted to do a bunch more, you couldn't apply them to tesu. Both programs are close in overall cost. What I like about tesu, is it's very possible to add on an associates (or 2), a second bachelor's or even some undergrad certificates for minimal extra money.

I am interested in adding some additional history credits from Shmoop if possible; not a lot of inexpensive history credits out there and none that I know of as low per as Shmoop.  But regardless of that I am still curious what/why TESU v Charter

Have you looked into going back to University of Pennsylvania? They just started offering an online BAAS program.

RE: BALS COSC vs TESU - dfrecore - 09-22-2018

TESU doesn't require a lab science, while COSC does, so if that's a deal-breaker for you, then you have to go with TESU. And, I think that COSC requires College Algebra or higher, while TESU only requires college-level math (so Applied Liberal Arts Math or College Math will work). Again, for some people, this may be a deal-breaker.

TESU also requires fewer UL courses, so if you're coming in with a bunch of LL courses that fit into a TESU plan, it may be an overall better plan for you to do TESU.

COSC has a BS as well as a BA, so you have more opportunities to apply some courses that might not work as Liberal Studies at TESU. I think my daughter, who is planning a specific AAS degree at her CC after HS graduation, will have a much better shot at turning that into a degree at COSC than TESU.

BUT, starting from scratch, and with no real barriers, COSC is now cheaper than TESU. And with the ability to use Shmoop and FEMA, it's definitely the cheapest degree available.