Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP (/Thread-Intro-Information-Systems-and-Computer-Applications-CLEP)

Pages: 1 2 3

Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - Conacher - 04-12-2016

Hey guys my name is Chris, I'm 28 years old and about to be medically retired in the US Air Force. This predicament has me wanting to finish my bachelors and go for my masters! That being said I had 3 1/2 years of college before joining the Air Force in 2011. Now I applied to Florida State University but they said I needed two prerequisites One being Computer Spreadsheets and the other being Managerial Accounting. They said they would take the CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications for the Computer Spreadsheets class which is great because the teacher who teaches Computer Spreadsheets on campus has a terrible track record, so for me that's the only way to go.

With that being said, I've just registered on IC yesterday and a lot of the questions they were asking I was a little bewildered by. Now I am a computer savvy guy but I still felt a little overwhelmed. Now I need to take this CLEP before October 2016 so aside from IC is there anything else you'd recommend? Now I've searched the forum and have found little help so I figured Id ask. I've heard of many people just getting by with IC only, but that has me worried. I need above a 50 to pass, so please let me know! And thank you.

Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - Conacher - 04-12-2016

I found petersons clep practice tests too.

Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - adavis84 - 04-12-2016

I don't want to tread too closely to info that should be in the specific feedback forum (which btw, have you gone through it yet?), but I can tell you IC is very good for this. It's ok to feel over your head at first with IC. Just plug away at the questions you don't know and read the answers carefully. Go through the deck again and see what you remember. Keep doing that until you're getting them right. I used IC as my only formal study tool (the rest was about 10 years of work experience) and got a 78.

adavis84 Wrote:I don't want to tread too closely to info that should be in the specific feedback forum (which btw, have you gone through it yet?), but I can tell you IC is very good for this. It's ok to feel over your head at first with IC. Just plug away at the questions you don't know and read the answers carefully. Go through the deck again and see what you remember. Keep doing that until you're getting them right. I used IC as my only formal study tool (the rest was about 10 years of work experience) and got a 78.

Specific feedback forum? I'm not even too sure what that is. But yes so far I've spent all day studying the first two sections and can get most of the questions correct. So my plan is to work on 2-3 sections a day until I'm finished with all 11. Then ill sign up and take petersons clep test, then I'm going to sign up and take my clep. It's the only clep I can take because I'm almost finished with my degree but I need it in order to get into the university I, going for! Thanks.

Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - adavis84 - 04-12-2016

Conacher Wrote:Specific feedback forum? I'm not even too sure what that is.

As an IC subscriber you get access to a closed-to-the-public area of the discussion board that has a TON of info about specific tests.

When you go to degreeforum.net there should be a list of 6 categories. You want the last one, just under "Off Topic," called "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY."

[quote=adavis84]As an IC subscriber you get access to a closed-to-the-public area of the discussion board that has a TON of info about specific tests./QUOTE]

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Hmm it won't let me access that part, i followed the instructions to log back in on the line they posted in the forum but still no luck

Intro & Information Systems and Computer Applications CLEP - gingerbeefE - 04-12-2016

Conacher Wrote:Hmm it won't let me access that part, i followed the instructions to log back in on the line they posted in the forum but still no luck

Chris, this is Lex. Go to Tyndall's library (if you're still there) they should have the book I used to pass this. (unless jalil already took it, told him to take this too) Good way to prepare for this along with the specific feedback that someone mentioned (which I always found more useful than the flashcards) is to take Intro to computing DSST since you are getting them both for free. It is slightly easier and has quite a bit of overlap and should make you more comfortable taking the CLEP .

No need to over study for this test, 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time. Currently has a 66% pass rate from 2015 and the DSST computing has a 67%

After taking both the Intro to Computing DSST and the Info systems clep you can even take the Management Information system DSST. Also has a good amount of overlap of the previous two. (and is worth upper level credit in either Management or CIS at most schools).

gingerbeefE Wrote:No need to over study for this test, 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time.

Big +1. I should add that I didn't exactly "study" the cards, just ran through a random sampling once before the test. As far as CLEPs go, there's really not much to this one.

gingerbeefE Wrote:Chris, this is Lex. Go to Tyndall's library (if you're still there) they should have the book I used to pass this. (unless jalil already took it, told him to take this too) Good way to prepare for this along with the specific feedback that someone mentioned (which I always found more useful than the flashcards) is to take Intro to computing DSST since you are getting them both for free. It is slightly easier and has quite a bit of overlap and should make you more comfortable taking the CLEP .

No need to over study for this test, 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time. Currently has a 66% pass rate from 2015 and the DSST computing has a 67%

After taking both the Intro to Computing DSST and the Info systems clep you can even take the Management Information system DSST. Also has a good amount of overlap of the previous two. (and is worth upper level credit in either Management or CIS at most schools).

Awesome, Im going through the IC questions. Ive got the first two sections down to 100% on my answers and thats what Ill do until i can complete all the sections to 100% passing. I registered as May 4th for my CLEP test date and it should be more than enough time. I appreciate all your help!