Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Do IC flashcards need to be updated? (/Thread-Do-IC-flashcards-need-to-be-updated)

Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - keepsingin - 10-01-2015

I'm posting this to see if anyone else on here has experienced the same...

I'm thinking that maybe InstaCert needs to update their flashcards to be more current with the CLEPs today. Anyone else here feel the same way? I've taken College Math, College Algebra, Intro Psych, and Intro Socio, and scored 90's on IC each time like they recommend, but with each test, there were an average of 25 questions that were 100% random guesses from me because they weren't even touched with IC. For College Algebra, I actually scored 100 many times on all the flashcards, so I was never more confident, but my CLEP score was 49! It was almost completely different material. I've been scoring in the very low 50's and (sometimes 60's) on the other CLEP's, even though I can practically recite all the IC information, half of which isn't even covered on the CLEP!

The only exception is A&I Lit; that one was very straightforward and much in line with IC. Obviously I haven't taken a whole ton of CLEP's, so I'm not an authority on this. But it def has left me with much less confidence taking these CLEPs :/

Some kind soul should make a list of which study helps to use for which clep and dsst...unless this has prolly already been done?

Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - gingerbeefE - 10-01-2015

Some IC are more helpful than others. Usually if you go to the specific feed back section of the forums people will say what they used to study and if it was helpful. As far as I know there is not a list like that yet though.

Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - keepsingin - 10-01-2015

gingerbeefE Wrote:Some IC are more helpful than others. Usually if you go to the specific feed back section of the forums people will say what they used to study and if it was helpful. As far as I know there is not a list like that yet though.

Yeah, I also followed the advice of ppl on the specific feedback section and the REA books...You should see my notes lol! And some of that definitely helped, but there was still a significant amount of info that either wasn't covered or explained in depth.

Esp on the socio and psycho exams, in some instance there were dates like 2014 and 2011 in reference to different quotes or happenings or people or conventions (can't remember which for sure). And there were also random names that I didn't recognize at all from IC or REA.

Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - sgloer - 10-01-2015

The goal of the InstantCert flashcards is to help you achieve a *passing* score. If you are looking to ace the exam, then you will need to supplement the flashcards with other resources. As gingerbeefE mentioned, the Specific Exam Feedback area is a good place to find helpful advice for scoring higher.

The design philosophy of the flashcards is to cover the fundamental information for the subject -- not to hand you a copy of the exam. That way, even when an exam is updated (which is rare), our materials are usually still highly relevant. A resource that tries to teach you the questions on the test can be ineffective if you get a different version of the test or if an exam is updated.

Do IC flashcards need to be updated? - keepsingin - 10-02-2015

sgloer Wrote:The goal of the InstantCert flashcards is to help you achieve a *passing* score. If you are looking to ace the exam, then you will need to supplement the flashcards with other resources. As gingerbeefE mentioned, the Specific Exam Feedback area is a good place to find helpful advice for scoring higher.

The design philosophy of the flashcards is to cover the fundamental information for the subject -- not to hand you a copy of the exam. That way, even when an exam is updated (which is rare), our materials are usually still highly relevant. A resource that tries to teach you the questions on the test can be ineffective if you get a different version of the test or if an exam is updated.

Got it...makes sense. It's still the best resource I know of for ppl like me that don't do as well reading great big chunks of info. I like the bite-size format. Smile