Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: 730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ (/Thread-730-GMAT-Score-But-do-I-have-the-chance)

Pages: 1 2 3

730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - LastHope - 11-25-2014

This forum as well as the degreeinfo helped me to figure out how to finish my Bachelors. I don't have an account on either of the forum before I just did search and read.
~ I finished my BALS from TESC (13 credits) GPA 3.28
~ 15 credits from CC GPA 3.68
~ 54 credits from other JC 3.84
Other credits from the Army, FEMA, ACE
~ I will be 29 yrs old/F
~ My only working experience was serving in the Military for 4 years
~ 5 yrs staying at home mom of two energetic kids
~ I failed DSSTs twice and CLEP once
~ I'm not smart I think Im below average
~ I spent countless of hours just to have good grades
~ I speak 6 languages and english is my second language
~ I wanted to get to graduate school but almost all programs requires GRE if not years of experience
~ I decided to study GMAT instead of GRE even though I don't have business undergrad
~ I self studied GMAT for 7 months 3 hrs everyday....yes 7 months because Im not smart
~ I started from the very basic of Math and English
~ I told myself that paying $250 for exam is too much so might as well study hard
~ I'm planning on taking business classes now that GMAT is done
~ I'm interested in finance or marketing
~ Attending online MBA probably my last resort ...
~ I still have 24 months of my GI Bill and I just want to get the best out of it.
~ I want to attend full time MBA on campus to improve my communication skills and im very interested for intership
~ Gmat score is just one of the qualifications and I dont have anything else to bring on table.... I have only served in the military and I've only been staying at home mom .... I would probably never get into one of the top 50 b schools ..... Sigh

I want to say thank you degreeforum.net ....I found the answers on how to earn my BA

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - Prloko - 11-25-2014

Visit the site poetsandquants.com, it is a site dedicated to MBA candidate discussions. A 730 is an extremely high (Harvard, Stanford level) score and you a most likely a shoe in for any mid-level MBA program if you choose. Of course most will probably make you take some business pre-reqs or bootcamp. B-Schools don't get a lot of female candidates which is good. Being in the military is good, but if it is low level enlisted, it won't be as much help as adcoms are looking for leadership and career progressision. Your total GPA is decent, but your Bachelors GPA is low which may hurt you, but you have possibly a great story for the adcom as a military member, who completed their degree in a non-traditional way. I would say, go ahead and go for one of the elite schools, maybe they will take a shot on you. Carnegie Mellon claims that they truly want a mix of students, so they may be another option if you are willing to move to Pittsburgh.

Also, your 24 months of GI Bill is actually close to three school years.

730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - smf6824 - 11-25-2014

LastHope Wrote:This forum as well as the degreeinfo helped me to figure out how to finish my Bachelors. I don't have an account on either of the forum before I just did search and read.
~ I finished my BALS from TESC (13 credits) GPA 3.28
~ 15 credits from CC GPA 3.68
~ 54 credits from other JC 3.84
Other credits from the Army, FEMA, ACE
~ I will be 29 yrs old/F
~ My only working experience was serving in the Military for 4 years
~ 5 yrs staying at home mom of two energetic kids
~ I failed DSSTs twice and CLEP once
~ I'm not smart I think Im below average
~ I spent countless of hours just to have good grades
~ I speak 6 languages and english is my second language
~ I wanted to get to graduate school but almost all programs requires GRE if not years of experience
~ I decided to study GMAT instead of GRE even though I don't have business undergrad
~ I self studied GMAT for 7 months 3 hrs everyday....yes 7 months because Im not smart
~ I started from the very basic of Math and English
~ I told myself that paying $250 for exam is too much so might as well study hard
~ I'm planning on taking business classes now that GMAT is done
~ I'm interested in finance or marketing
~ Attending online MBA probably my last resort ...
~ I still have 24 months of my GI Bill and I just want to get the best out of it.
~ I want to attend full time MBA on campus to improve my communication skills and im very interested for intership
~ Gmat score is just one of the qualifications and I dont have anything else to bring on table.... I have only served in the military and I've only been staying at home mom .... I would probably never get into one of the top 50 b schools ..... Sigh

I want to say thank you degreeforum.net ....I found the answers on how to earn my BA

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Quit saying you aren't smart. Trust me you had to have some intelligence to do what you have done.

I was only a low enlisted soldier. My TESC gpa is very low because I got one C Sad Im holding off applying to any B schools because I know I dont have any chance plus I dont have funds. Gmatclub and beatthegmat forum was also helpful

Thanks btw

Prloko Wrote:Visit the site poetsandquants.com, it is a site dedicated to MBA candidate discussions. A 730 is an extremely high (Harvard, Stanford level) score and you a most likely a shoe in for any mid-level MBA program if you choose. Of course most will probably make you take some business pre-reqs or bootcamp. B-Schools don't get a lot of female candidates which is good. Being in the military is good, but if it is low level enlisted, it won't be as much help as adcoms are looking for leadership and career progressision. Your total GPA is decent, but your Bachelors GPA is low which may hurt you, but you have possibly a great story for the adcom as a military member, who completed their degree in a non-traditional way. I would say, go ahead and go for one of the elite schools, maybe they will take a shot on you. Carnegie Mellon claims that they truly want a mix of students, so they may be another option if you are willing to move to Pittsburgh.

Also, your 24 months of GI Bill is actually close to three school years.

smf6824 Wrote:Quit saying you aren't smart. Trust me you had to have some intelligence to do what you have done.

Thanks. But trust me that score is nothing these days some people scores are like 750-770

730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - SuzanneD - 11-25-2014

Just want to say congratulations on your degree, and also encourage you to stop saying you aren't smart.I think there area lot of different kinds of intelligence. You have a college degree and speak how many different languages? You are smart. Having to work hard at something doesn't make you not smart.You have achieved what many of us are still working on. Stop telling yourself you are not smart. Please.
Best wishes on your mba.cheersmate

LastHope Wrote:Thanks. But trust me that score is nothing these days some people scores are like 750-770
A 730 is not "nothing". That is in the highest percentiles, and I wouldn't even come close to that score (i took some practice exams and scored only a 640), and I think I am very smart. The GMAT just measures the type of thinking that is successful in B school. You don't have to go to the top three, the top 30 are all excellent schools with excellent career services and I'm sure one of those schools would LOVE to have a female 730 GMAT, non traditionally educated veteran. You just have to put together the right package. So take a chance, just volunteer for some good causes in a leadership position, and apply to some schools.

Also, if your GPA is holding you down, I know UPENN has a post bacc program where you can take a few credits. Do well with them and that would show ADCOMs that not only are you serious, but that you are capable, or you can even try Harvard Extension, and bust your butt and get good grades. Don't sell yourself short, take a shot.

LastHope Wrote:I was only a low enlisted soldier. My TESC gpa is very low because I got one C Sad Im holding off applying to any B schools because I know I dont have any chance plus I dont have funds. Gmatclub and beatthegmat forum was also helpful

Thanks btw
Please note that GMATclub and beatthegmat is heavily overrepresented by southeast asians (especially india). Their GMAT scores are very high, but many are denied admission because adcoms limit the amount of international students they have. If they didn't, all the MBA classes in the states would be nothing but southeast asian men. So trust me, a 730 for an American female is spectacular.

730 GMAT Score But do I have the chance........ - smf6824 - 11-25-2014

LastHope Wrote:Thanks. But trust me that score is nothing these days some people scores are like 750-770

Doubting yourself will get you nowhere and you know that. As a soldier you are tested no matter your rank and only those with determination succeed. I know from experience, I played the game and had to go overseas to Iraq myself. I know what type of character it takes to be a soldier, truly I do. So I know that there was a moment in your life that you persevered through, an obstacle that you overcame. Bring that person back and go after your goals and dreams. You deserve to have the opportunity to succeed, it is a right in which you defended. So quit doubting yourself, gear up, and complete your mission. Do not fail yourself.