Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Degree options for AA? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Degree options for AA? (/Thread-Degree-options-for-AA)

Pages: 1 2 3

Degree options for AA? - quickdegree - 06-10-2014

Hey guys,

I haven't been on much after developing my degree plan but am taking action this summer! This time I'm looking for any guidance I could get for my wife he needs to obtain an AA in order to meet job requirements. She has completed many classes already and might be close to an AA already.

I'm attaching her transcripts below in case anyone has a degree in mind that would take best advantage of the classes already taken. The AA doesn't have to be specific to any one area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1309[/ATTACH]

Thank you!

Degree options for AA? - cathgrl - 06-10-2014

I'm a newbie, but the first thing is that these appear to be quarter hours, not semester hours.

Here is the quarter to semester hour conversion guide: Student Quarter Credit To Semester Credit Conversion | ACE.edu

In a nutshell

5 quarter hours = 3.3 semester hours
3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
2 quarter hours = 1.3 semester hours

I might be counting wrong, but it looks like she's got about 44 semester hours toward an AA. The 097 Math doesn't count toward a degree.

Degree options for AA? - cathgrl - 06-10-2014

Subject/Category Credits
I. General Education 42
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15

• English Composition I (ENC-101)
o Principles of Writing (3)
• English Composition II (ENC-102)
o Research Persuasive Writing (3)
• College-Level Math Course
o Math a Practical Art (3)
• Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills (6)
o Basic Oral Communication
o NEED TECEP CIS-107-TE Computer Concepts and Applications
B. Human Cultures and the Physical and Natural World 18
• Humanities (3)
o Contemporary World Lit
• Social Sciences (3)
o Human Sexuality
• Natural Sciences (3)
o Intro Inorganic Chemistry
• Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences or Interdisciplinary Electives (9)
o Intro to Psychology
o Psych of Human Relations
o NEED TECEP PSY-270-TE Psychology of Women
C. Personal and Social Responsibility 9
• Diversity/Global Literacy (3)
o Intro to Anthropology
• Responsible Ethical Leadership
o NEED TECEP ETH-210-TE Environmental Ethics
• Ethics or Diversity Elective
o Intro to Sociology
II. General Education Electives 18

o Child Development
o Standard First Aid (2)
o Nutrition (2)
o Cell Biology
o Weight Training (1)
[COLOR="#FF0000"]o NEED some TECEP, perhaps SOC-210-TE Marriage and the Family
o NEED 3 credits Principles of Management (Saylor)
o NEED 3 Credits Intro to Western Political Thought (Saylor)
[/COLOR]

Total 60

Cost

4 TECEP x $108 = $432
2 Saylor courses = $50
[URL="http://www.tesc.edu/tuition/fees.cfm"]Application fee = $75
Graduation fee = $290[/URL]

= $847.00

It's my first time doing this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong on something ...

Degree options for AA? - KayV - 06-10-2014

Here's a go at an Associate of Science from Excelsior. She would need to take their Capstone and Information Literacy classes, and 7 to 10 hours of applied professional, depending on if they will take her Intermediate Algebra.

A. Arts and Sciences Electives/ WER
1. WRIT 101 Principles of Writing 3.3 (WER)
2. WRIT 105 Research/ Persuasive Writing 3.3
3. BIOL 151 Introductory to Cell Bio 3.3
B. General Education Requirements (21)
1. SPCH 100 Basic Oral Communication 3.3
2. LIT 230 Contemporary World Literature I 3.3
3. PSYCH 120 Psych of Human Relations 3.3
4. PSYCH 100 Intro to Psychology 3.3
5. CHEM 121 Intro to Inorganic Chem 3.3
6. MATH 107 Math- A Practical Art 3.3
7. Need Associate Degree Capstone 3
C. Applied Professional/ Liberal Arts Credits (30)
1. Need Excelsior Information Literacy (1 hour, must be taken through EC)
2. SOC-110 Introduction to Sociology 3.3
3. ANTHR-120 Cultural Anthropology 3.3
4. BEHAV 100 Human Sexuality 3.3
5. EDUC 112 Child Development 3.3
6. PE 160 Standard First Aid/ CPR 2
7. NUTR 110 Nutrition 2
8. (The “.3”s add up to 3.9 hours)
9. Complete with 10 credits- free TEEX electives (6), NFA (3), Analyzing and Interpreting Lit CLEP (6), Kaplan PLA on ACE transcript, etc.

EC only accepts 2 hours of PE credit, so Weight Training wouldn’t apply. On the bright side, they usually transcript Intermediate Algebra as MAT-118, so she might be able to count it for 3.3 more hours.

Degree options for AA? - KayV - 06-10-2014

Cathgrl, nice job on the degree plan for TESC! The only thing that might be problematic is the General Ed elective section. Child development (3 EDUC), first aid (2 PE), weight training (1 PE), and Principles of Management (3 BUS) are free electives, not general ed, so she would need to replace those with other general ed credits.

One of the biggest advantages about TESC is the lack of Capstone for the AA, as well as the price when you take TECEPs.

Degree options for AA? - NAP - 06-10-2014

To add to KayV's comments about EC:
For the Humanities (art/music/philosophy) requirement, it can be anything except more English credit, like foreign language, religion, literature, speech, etc. The speech she has already or the A&I Lit Clep would work.

It looks like she'd be pretty close to an AA, too, which just has fewer credits in Applied Professional (free electives).

Degree options for AA? - KayV - 06-11-2014

For Charter Oak, it looks like she would need a science course with lab (possibly just the biology lab from Straighterline, but I'm not sure that would count), US History or Government, Ethics, Human Cultural Geography, and the Cornerstone class through COSC. She could fill in the credits beyond those with FEMA, though.

Degree options for AA? - quickdegree - 06-13-2014

You guys are amazing! I GREATLY appreciate the degree plan cathgyl and kayV AND the discussion around them. Let me soak this intel in and I'll report back with any questions she has!

Degree options for AA? - rebel100 - 06-13-2014

KayV Wrote:For Charter Oak, it looks like she would need a science course with lab (possibly just the biology lab from Straighterline, but I'm not sure that would count), US History or Government, Ethics, Human Cultural Geography, and the Cornerstone class through COSC. She could fill in the credits beyond those with FEMA, though.
SL Biology with lab should work fine, needs a total of 7 science credits and at least 1 credit must be a lab.

Degree options for AA? - quickdegree - 07-27-2014

KayV Wrote:Cathgrl, nice job on the degree plan for TESC! The only thing that might be problematic is the General Ed elective section. Child development (3 EDUC), first aid (2 PE), weight training (1 PE), and Principles of Management (3 BUS) are free electives, not general ed, so she would need to replace those with other general ed credits.

One of the biggest advantages about TESC is the lack of Capstone for the AA, as well as the price when you take TECEPs.

I think what she would like to do is submit official transcripts and have the college write out exactly what classes are needed for an AA. Is that possible with TESC? TESC appears to be the most suitable option from what I've seen. If we have the official transcripts sent over, should we have the credits transferred over and request an official list of required classes, or tests to complete a specific AA? Still unclear on the process.

Thanks!