Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: KCTCS Avoid PHY171 (/Thread-KCTCS-Avoid-PHY171)

Pages: 1 2

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - UptonSinclair - 11-08-2013

I am posting the lab requirements for PHY171 in case anyone considers taking this course. Typically KCTCS courses follow a sequence of Pre-test - Read Book - Post-test and can be completed pretty quick, but the lab requirement of this course adds a level of complexity that I was not expecting. By the time you are introduced to the requirement it is too late to get a refund for the class. Keep in mind that there are 4 modules with 4 sections each creating 16 labs that each require a lab report similar to the requirements listed. These labs compose 26% of the grade.

[attachment=677]

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - Prloko - 11-08-2013

It would have been nice if they gave you advance warning of this requirement.

But in a way, I think it's cool to have a lab exercise in an online class.

The lab exercises so far are online virtual labs from a college in Colorado. It is the lab report that is a pain in the backside. I could understand this requirement if the course were an introductory course for science majors. It is supposed to be a conceptual physics course for non-science students. In previous lab courses at KCTCS, the labs were provided by the textbook publisher. They walked you through the lab goals and then had multiple choice questions on the materials. These labs 16 labs are far more intense and every one of them requires a formal lab report. I am waiting to see the grade I get on the two I turned in last night. If they come back with low grades I am going to drop the class and lose almost $600.

The idea of a college not allowing refunds for classes after the first day is ridiculous, but I had never dealt with the need. At BYU I dropped a course several weeks in and only lost $60.

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - Prloko - 11-08-2013

was that the byu english course?

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - cookderosa - 11-08-2013

I have had lab report requirements all over the map. I think what your teacher is using is within the realm of normal. It says you are doing 4 labs, which I think is reasonable. (every of my 4 credit courses required 8 labs, no matter how long the class was) I had to include photos of most of my labs. I think it was my microbiology class that required photos of my slides through the eyepiece (yes, that meant buying a digital camera attachment). My A&P teachers both wanted step by step photos. I'd send in lab reports with 14-15 images embedded. In my chemistry class, my teacher docked me points because in the required 1st photo of every lab was to be a picture of you in front of the set-up, and in my pic I didn't have on safety glasses and she saw a Diet Coke can in the background! I actually did WEAR glasses, just hadn't started yet so didn't have them on- and as for the Diet Coke, that was true. We had signed a lab safety agreement (in every science class at Ocean County College) that allowed them to fail the lab for violating any of the numerous requirements. (not having poison control number displayed, having a pet or child in the photo, etc) I remember even having to have the MSDS sheets ON THE TABLE of a chemistry assignment and in the photo or zero points earned. In some experiments that was printing out 70+ pages.

All in all, I like labs, but if I had to do another one today, I'd pick virtual lab for my next experience just for a change of pace.

EDIT: I have to say also, that the one problem I have with labs is that they add SO -MUCH- WORK to a class. 1 credit lab is WAY more work than the 3 credit theory component.

There are actually, 16 labs with the course, but after the response from my professor I am going to eat a little crow. The course looks like it is going to be a challenge, but the professor responded well to my request for more information and has agreed to post a lesson on completing the lab requirements. My biggest shock was the introduction of grading criteria for information that had not been presented in the materials. Hopefully, I can help alleviate the challenges for other in the future.

The grading seems to be fair based on the two graded labs I have completed so far.

Side note: Is it possible to change the title of a thread, my title is a bit harsh?

Prloko Wrote:was that the byu english course?

Yes, I dropped the Persuasive Writing course because the materials were a bit too intense for my needs. It was designed for a humanities major rather than a technical focus. I have a hard time wrestling my way through philosophy. I enjoyed ethics, but the philosophy of Rhetorical Theory was a nightmare. I love BYU though. I have never had a problem with their customer service.

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - UptonSinclair - 11-26-2013

Update:

I am now halfway through my last of four modules. There are two labs, two tests, and a module final left to be done. It should take about 3 or 4 days to complete it all and I will be finished with this course. It has taken about 5 weeks to complete the course but I have been pushing a bunch of hours on the material. This stuff is much harder to absorb than social science.

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - UptonSinclair - 12-02-2013

I just finished this course with an A. The content is challenging, but the professor provides helpful feedback and he is fair with his grading. I didn't deserve an A, but I believe he graded my last couple of assignments liberallyl because I was on the edge between an A and B.

KCTCS Avoid PHY171 - Jonathan Whatley - 12-02-2013

cookderosa Wrote:In my chemistry class, my teacher docked me points because in the required 1st photo of every lab was to be a picture of you in front of the set-up, and in my pic I didn't have on safety glasses

The in-person labs at Harvard Extension are that way. Safety glasses or goggles on from the lab room door as you enter to the lab room door as you leave, no exceptions (unless you've had an emergency and you're using the eye wash station). Have to scratch your face under the glasses? Request permission to go out to the hall.

cookderosa Wrote:and she saw a Diet Coke can in the background! I actually did WEAR glasses, just hadn't started yet so didn't have them on- and as for the Diet Coke, that was true.

Actually, Experiment 1 in HES Gen Chem is Measuring the Density of Coke® [pdf]. They keep the experiment part easy intentionally to focus on lab safety and procedures:

The HES Gen Chem Lab Handbook Wrote:The first part of this lab will consist of an introduction and safety training in the laboratory. This is the most important laboratory “experiment” of the term, and no student will be admitted to subsequent labs without full participation in this safety training.

It ramps up quickly. A few experiments in they have us designing our own procedures in our pre-lab assignments, given stated goals, limited tools and sometimes limited information.

cookderosa Wrote:We had signed a lab safety agreement (in every science class at Ocean County College) that allowed them to fail the lab for violating any of the numerous requirements. (not having poison control number displayed, having a pet or child in the photo, etc) I remember even having to have the MSDS sheets ON THE TABLE of a chemistry assignment and in the photo or zero points earned. In some experiments that was printing out 70+ pages.

I'm impressed.