Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Community college limit - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Community college limit (/Thread-Community-college-limit)

Pages: 1 2

Community college limit - Tayon - 07-05-2013

What defines a community college? Talking in regard to tesc limit on cc credits. Does penn foster count as a cc? Does kctcs(even if the school you select does not have cc in the title)? If the class transfers as a 300/400 level class, why does that still count as a community college class?

Community college limit - sanantone - 07-05-2013

Penn Foster is not viewed as a college by TESC to put it simply. They are viewed through the prism of ACE credits. I don't know about KCTCS, but if the school only offers 2-year degrees, then it would probably be treated as a community/junior college. Even though TESC does count CC courses as UL classes if their course titles and descriptions match, the limit still applies. There is a belief that CC courses are generally easier than 4-year college courses and they usually are. When applying to a grad program with science prerequisites, some colleges will state that they prefer science courses from 4-year colleges even though they are LL.

Community college limit - Tayon - 07-06-2013

Is there a limit on ace credits?

Community college limit - sanantone - 07-06-2013

Generally, no. Excelsior has a limit for its nursing programs, though.

Community college limit - Tayon - 07-07-2013

Thank you sanantone your are dedicated to the cause!

Community college limit - IrishJohn - 07-07-2013

Tayon Wrote:Is there a limit on ace credits?

At TESC, there is indeed a limit but I don't see how you can possibly hit it given all the options out there.

Courses and examinations approved through the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) and the American Council on Education (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. The limit of National CCRS and ACE credits from a single source is 90 credits for a bachelor's degree and 45 credits for an associates degree. - Transfer Credit to TESC

Community college limit - sanantone - 07-07-2013

I stand corrected. I'm not sure if I ever came across that or just forgot. But it does say from a single source, so there really isn't an overall limit. Unless you're getting a bunch of credits from Straighterline or Penn Foster, I don't see how one can hit that limit.

Community college limit - Tayon - 07-08-2013

Good catch! Well in my case personally I only need 69 credits towards the BSBA so the 90 limit is ok!!

Community college limit - dcan - 07-08-2013

KCTCS according to their website only offers associate's degrees, so they will almost certainly be viewed by definition as a community college. They do not offer bachelor's degrees, only articulation agreements with four-year universities that agree to accept KCTCS credits towards the bachelor's degree.

Hope this helps clarify it a bit.

Community college limit - Tayon - 07-08-2013

currently with 51 CC credits, Some would say I was close to the limit, but will be switching out the free electives (6 credit hours) for FEMA incase I end up taking a few more CIS classes at KCTCS