Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? (/Thread-Test-Specific-Forums-How-far-back-do-you-read)

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - KJArsenal - 07-06-2012

We (my 9th grade son and I) have just started the CLEP process and used IC to help my son pass his first CLEP in June. The test specific forums for US History I were absolutely essential in his success. We are now getting ready to tackle Biology--what a beast! We have started gathering the info off the forums so we can create a master list to study from. We were wondering how far back to go though? The forum itself begins in 2007--would info on a test in 2007 still be on a test in 2012? We will gather back that far if you have found it helpful but since there is sooo much info for this test, we wanted to ask folks for their opinion on whether that was necessary. Thanks!

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - Lyanne - 07-06-2012

I haven't taken Bio, but I always read allll the way from the beginning of the thread. Actually I copy and paste all info into a word doc that I use to research and study. Can't hurt. :-)

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - rebel100 - 07-06-2012

CLEP and DSST don't change much, though in recent years DSST has "updated" many exams. This doesn't mean that the old info is useless, but subtle changes do occur.

You can always read the threads backwards (done that). But then again even on the really long threads you can get through without much time commitment...I mean you are gonna spend a hundred bucks or so to take the exam so whats 30-45 minutes of preparation? The one or two nuggets you discover might be the difference between a pass and a fail.

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - marianne202 - 07-06-2012

I have found that with a lot of specific exam threads the early threads list a lot of specific study areas and the newer threads just say I followed "x's" list and it was right on or my exam covered all the items "x" listed but also these items, then they will list additional items. I agree with Rebel. I usually start with the newest, but end up reading them all. The good thing is even if you read them all and see lots of repetition in content you can be assured that those topics will show up on his exam! Good luck!

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - burbuja0512 - 07-07-2012

:iagree:

I always read everything from the beginning to end, but used my judgement in skimming or skipping the posts that didn't seem to contribute much. After all, 3 credits could cost you 8-15 weeks of your life + $1000 dollars or more depending on the school.

Of course with some of the more popular exams, you may do a lot more skimming than reading through some of the posts, but it's psychologically helpful to see so many people commenting about the test. I used to feel like I was supported by an invisible network of testers while I was taking some of the CLEPS because of all of the comments I'd read beforehand.

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - burbuja0512 - 07-07-2012

How did I end up posting twice? LOL... mods you can delete this one Wink

Thanks!

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - clep3705 - 07-07-2012

KJArsenal Wrote:We are now getting ready to tackle Biology--what a beast!

This is what you need to know: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-education-testing-discussion/16222-wikipedia-links-clep-biology.html

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - KJArsenal - 07-07-2012

Great info everyone!! Thank you for all the tips and for the Wikipedia links Smile

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - claytonordie - 07-07-2012

since you did history 1 I would suggest going ahead and taking history 2 and American government

Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? - Publius - 07-09-2012

As far as how back to go, I say all the way. Similar to what marianne202 was saying, you'll notice people will build on the beginning posts and add to them. 95% of the time you'll hear things like "There isn't anything more I can add" or "I agree 100% of what the previous posters have already said" or something of that nature.
I'm a bit different and usually don't start with the newest... I'll start at the beginning and just read it all the way through, copying and pasting the topics into a word processor. Tests themselves vary from exam to exam, but the topics that are listed stay the same. From personal experience the Specific Exam Feedback area has been deadly accurate for every exam I've taken. Biology is a beast, it can require you to know things a mile wide and sometime several inches deep. As Rebel said, take the 30-40 minutes and read through it, only in this case it's 6 credits not 3. The Wikipedia links are great, as are the videos from Khan Academy, Free-CLEP-Prep's free PT, and [URL=http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookTOC.html"]this free online biology book.[/URL]
Best of luck to you and your son.