Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Finished Straigherline English II - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Finished Straigherline English II (/Thread-Finished-Straigherline-English-II)

Finished Straigherline English II - frankiebleyes - 03-23-2012

Signed up Wednesday this week and completed with all grades today Friday. Got a solid B not an A, but a very doable course. For those of us who do not want to take or retake the Clep English w/essay, I highly recommend SL. It was straightforward and if you get your writings out of the way can easily be done within one to two days. I wrote the papers in advance and had them ready for evaluation and did the course work in a six hour timeframe with a few breaks inbetween. That included doing all quizes and exams.

If you are concerned about this course I think you would find it very interesting and informative. No, I don't work for Straighterline, I just was so pleased with this course I had to rave. For me it was much less stress than having to study for the CLEP again and retake the CLEP and wait for the results by mail.

Finished Straigherline English II - SuZQ2 - 03-23-2012

Very interested in your comments regarding Straighterline. I have been thinking of taking both English Compostion I and II from them in order to avoid the CLEP Comp with Essay (waaaay too stressful!). It sounds like you purchased the materials, did the assignments, THEN signed up for the course - is that correct? Did you also take English Comp I from SL? Are both SL courses accepted by EC and TESC? Do you have to take a proctored exam or just complete and submit your assignments for a final grade? I haven't looked into SL yet, but plan to soon - glad to hear you had a good experience!Smile

Finished Straigherline English II - frankiebleyes - 03-23-2012

Yes, I took English I with them three years ago when Ft. Hayes was accepting them for credit. I did not purchase anything prior to that course and just went with the flow. It took me about two weeks. I had already passed English both freshman and sophmore years prior but did not receive credit. I failed the clep test by one point while taking the test upside down (computer problem) and clep refused to allow me to retake for six months (finally agreed to three months but I would have to pay full price again). I got mad and signed up for SL and took first semester. They have added second semester since then. I was fortunate to have someone send me the instructions for the writing assignments (is how I did them in advance). I also prepared by reading Frankenstein before signing up for the class. To me the courses at Straighterline were easier then the written part of the Clep test, but that is just me. They give you the topic and you only have so many minutes to write it on an unexpected topic. Personally, that would be hard enough but with my written screen upside down as I was trying to revise and think about what I was composing it was impossible. (Thus that is why I felt Clep cheated me in this instance). I got more out of the courses and feel like my writing style has improved for upper level courses if I take courses instead of testing out of everything. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I enjoy testing out too and it can be done if you ar