Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Low residency requirements - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Low residency requirements (/Thread-Low-residency-requirements)

Pages: 1 2

Low residency requirements - addision - 07-15-2011

So I was thinking. I know the big 3 are very low residency schools requiring one or two courses (0-6 units), if any, taken at their institution. Most universities require 30 or so units to be completed at their institution.

So I was wondering if there were any other lower residency schools out there, maybe with 15-20 units required in residency. For some people those schools may be a better option if the in-state tuition is low enough.

If anyone has any experience or knows of some that would be great.

Low residency requirements - sanantone - 07-16-2011

Ashford University accepts up to 99 transfer credits, but I don't know if they even have in-state tuition. That's the only other school I know of. I think there was a school I was looking at in Texas that required less than 30 credits in residence, but I can't remember which one.

Low residency requirements - jansroots - 07-16-2011

Low Residency, CLEP friendly, and Class Friendly:

Strayer University (online or registered w/ a campus) only require 6 classes for each degree (i.e. effectively, it's 3 classes for each yr of school.) and online classes count towards it. You can CLEP/DSST the rest, and they have CLEP facilities at all their branches in the Learning Center.

Also a helpful hint. Unlike some of the other online universities, almost all Strayer's online classes are offered in both asynchronous and synchronous modes. You'll get higher scores on the async classes because none of your grades are for "project" activities where you work with other students in teams for your grade. My sister and one of my daughters lost their 4.0 because of the other students on the project.

BTW -- I would recommend registering at a nearby campus, if feasible. While I'm taking all my classes online, I have found that if for some reason you need an exception or something, you have more resources available. For example, I was running into a problem w/ a class, and my academic advisor suggested that I talk w/ one of the campus professors 1:1 during their office hours... Even though they weren't my professor.

Just a thought, but I work 50 - 60 hrs a week and have managed to maintain a 4.0 as a result, and am working on 9 CLEP tests. (Just passed the first one) so I can get my Assoc in BA in 1 yr instead of 2. I'll do the same for my BBA, as well, though one of the classes won't translate to CLEP, so I need one extra semester or try 3 classes in one semester.

Drop me a note, if you have any questions... (And, no... I don't get a commission or own stock... Big Grin)

Low residency requirements - rebel100 - 07-16-2011

But 6 classes from Strayer is around $10,000!!! | Strayer University

What is their accreditation?

Low residency requirements - jansroots - 07-16-2011

Important things first -

Specialized Bachelor's in 2 years for under $30,000 (books, CLEPs and everything) while I'm working full-time? Sorry, but total cost is cheaper than doing it through any of the "cheaper" local universities around here. Most of them wanted me to re-take classes, would only accept basic CLEPs/DSSTs for academic credit, rest only for electives. If figured it out .. I would need school loans totalling $60K for George Mason and 3 yrs to get my Bachelors and spend 75% of my time on campus... To me it's a no-brainer.

And, it's fully accredited, and the classes are academically stimulating. I have to work to get my 4.0s.

They are a *real* university that offers all their classes (except for Masters) online, and some of the more "common" Masters programs could conceivably be online.) You can also take the classes in a classroom setting, so you can study differently depending on the subject matter, if better for you.
They work hard to accepts credits from other institutions (including comparing course catalogs from that time.) This is *very* different from the other online schools I've looked into or my family has gone to).
Classes are widely varied, with multiple liberal arts and sciences courses.
Electives (and curriculum) aren't "preset" by the university (something most online schools seem to do, also)
They encourage you to CLEP ($100/class), Challenge Test ($250/class), or do the Portfolio thing for life experience. The other onlines I've looked at -- just want the money.
They offer Challenge Tests (exams) for their classes that aren't covered by CLEP/DSST. Many already have exams developed by the department, but they will try and come up with exams for courses if it meets your needs, though it might take a semester or two (goes thru a rigorous internal review.)

I'm sorry, but I investigated a number, my sister and daughters have or are attending Phoenix, Colorado Tech, DeVry, and Keller. They've had issues with synchronous classes (team projects in classes) pulling their overall GPA down. They aren't willing to over-extend themselves, because I think they see themselves as the school for people who can't get into regular colleges, or aren't smart enough to shop around for classes. They do the hard-sell thing, and I just didn't find that w/ Strayer.
They've gone all out (over and beyond) to make sure that I can succeed. The professors work well with "more experienced" students (I'm 54), and everyone I've either met or talked to by phone has been incredibly helpful.

Usually you get what you pay for.... It's true, here too... The difference is that you're paying for the quality, but you don't have to "buy" as many.

Low residency requirements - Yenisei - 07-16-2011

You can get a degree from one of the Big Three for under 10K, maybe even as little as 6-7K in the case of a general business or psychology degree. For undergrad, it makes sense to complete it as quickly and cheaply as possible unless you are studying engineering, mathematics, computer science, or one of the natural sciences, where there are additional considerations.

Low residency requirements - burbuja0512 - 07-16-2011

Yenisei Wrote:You can get a degree from one of the Big Three for under 10K, maybe even as little as 6-7K in the case of a general business or psychology degree. For undergrad, it makes sense to complete it as quickly and cheaply as possible unless you are studying engineering, mathematics, computer science, or one of the natural sciences, where there are additional considerations.

:iagree:

Every college has their benefits and there is no "one-size-fits-all" for any program of study.. That being said, I'm not sure that I see the benefit of paying more money unless the school is either 1) prestigious or 2) has a specialized degree that you can't find elsewhere.

I spent under 6k for everything for my BS, including books, so I guess 'under 30k' seems a little expensive. I'd rather take the money and put it towards my MBA. However, that was the right choice for ME and I don't pretend that it would be the best for everyone.

Low residency requirements - burbuja0512 - 07-16-2011

jansroots Wrote:I'm sorry, but I investigated a number, my sister and daughters have or are attending Phoenix, Colorado Tech, DeVry, and Keller.

No offense, but none of these really have a great reputation so I'm not sure that they're a good choice to use for a comparison. This is a silly analogy, but it's kind of like using Taco Bell and McDonald's as standards to compare restaurants against. Yes they're convenient and ubiquitous, but are they really known for great food?

I am sure Strayer has a great program, but I'm confused as to why it would be a better choice than either TESC or COSC, that are state colleges or EC, which is private, but still well-known and respected and could be significantly cheaper.

.. just my opinion Smile

Low residency requirements - sanantone - 07-16-2011

I didn't take synchronous courses at Colorado Tech. I never had a group project neither. There was usually one scheduled, but it would be canceled. I didn't choose to be in a cohort program, so maybe that's why. I think the cheapest way to go, if you need financial aid, is to take up to 80 credits at a community college and transfer them to TESC. Then, you can test out of the rest.

Low residency requirements - brajalle - 07-16-2011

Empire State requires 32 credits residency. That may seem like quite a bit, but since their courses are 4 credits instead of 3, that's only 8 classes (or 1 year of residency).

For some degrees, especially given their credit hour pricing, this is a good deal.