Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors (/Thread-Ok-I-m-not-crazy-but-I-m-thinking-of-3rd-bachelors)

Pages: 1 2

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - ryoder - 07-03-2011

I am not crazy. I actually switched my major at USF back in the day from computer science to Humanities. I really wanted to be able to explore literature, the arts, film and creative writing and not be bound by science and math.

I am looking at my existing courses and I have a few upper level humanities credits that can be of use so when I finish my Math/Natural Science requirements I am going to drop the bomb on TESC and ask them to allow me to get a second area of study in my BA in Humanities.

The MBA I am working on is not occupying enough of my time so I think I can realistically pull off a third bachelors before January or February, whenever I offically enrolled at TESC.

If not, then I get some cool humanities knowledge in the process.

My plan is as follows:
27 credits - 18 upper level
COM-300 Intro. to Business Commun.. 01/11/11 CR 3 *NE
COM-330 Interpersonal Communication 05/01/96 A 3 *TE
HUM-399 Spec. Stud. in Selected Top 12/01/95 A 3 *TE

9 upper level needed
Intro to World Religions DSST REL405 3CR
Marketing Communications TECEP MAR321 (Will this work as a COM course?)
3 more upper level needed here...

9 200 level needed
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature LIT291/292 6CR
English Literature CLEP LIT208 3CR (SPLIT)

B: Concentration (6)
6 semester hours of Humanities coursework at any college level.
English Literature CLEP LIT209 3CR (SPLIT)
Art of the Western World DSST ART-166

I just need one more humanities 300 level course to fill this out and I don't think that is going to be hard to find. Should be a fun time. Especially taking the A&I lit for 6cr.

How is English Literature btw? I'm about to check out the specific exam feedback now.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - laoshijeff - 07-03-2011

What I'd love to see you do is start a business of some sort down the road - you've certainly got the energy and the drive for it! Maybe you could buy a program like Camtasia for your computer and do some programming demos? You could then turn them into a digital product to sell or part of a membership website.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - Lindagerr - 07-03-2011

sorry ryoder from TESC 2011-2012 catalog

The College will not award a third associate or bachelor’s
degree.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - laoshijeff - 07-03-2011

Linda - I had responded with the same exact thing at first but if you look back at his post, you'll see that he stated he will just add the 2nd area of study to the BA he's getting. The phrasing used for this was just confusing but he just meant a 2nd BA with 2 Areas of Study.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - bricabrac - 07-03-2011

Ryoder,

The title of your post is confusing since 3rd degrees are not allowed, it's actually a dual 2nd as referenced in your second paragraph.

Also the requirements have changed a bit, so until it has all been revealed be careful. I was told you will no longer be able to use any old credits in the area of study for a second degree. My second is the BSBA; it may be different for the BA but inquire to be sure. I was in the process of finishing up my final six credits while they were setting the requirements and my program was almost trashed because of this so I have firsthand knowledge. Your BA NS/M was activated prior to July 1; but if you change it, your program will be under the new catalog. Talk to a Sr Advisor and the Registrar's office and go over the any new policy for the BA thoroughly before making any changes.

However it turns out good luck, sounds like a blast!

Edit: Oops - we are all repeating the same thing -- see it is confusing.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - ryoder - 07-04-2011

Bricabrac wow, I had no idea the new catalog didn't allow any of your old credits. That is crazy. I'm going to read up on that.
My eval for Math/Nat Sci has 9 credits upper level left over from my previous degree placed there by my advisor so hopefully I'll be ok.

As for the second area of study. Its just an idea anyway.

I do have a lot of energy and could teach computer programming. I am planning on doing that once I have enough applied computer science graduate credits. I'd like to teach anything in IT really including networking but computer programming is very natural to me.

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - marianne202 - 07-04-2011

Why not a grad certificate or Post Bacc cert in an IT related field or something new? You have lots of options that will take you up the educational chain instead of just moving laterally. These will count towards the 18 credits in a subject area that might be required if you want to teach down the road in an area that isn't related to your MBA. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Marianne - I am working on the MBA right now but the cost of courses is so high that I want to use my company's reimbursement for it. I can accelerate my progress at my own cost if I choose to do that.
So I was thinking that CLEPing is very cheap so why not do that for fun.
If there were at your own pace graduate courses that were reasonable in price, then I would jump at them but there doesn't seem to be any.
I know there are some for teachers but that is about it.

UNL is the cheapest I can find. There are some mgmt classes here:
https://trusted.unl.edu/purchase/c-146-management.aspx

Ok I'm not crazy but I'm thinking of 3rd bachelors - Yenisei - 07-04-2011

I took a look at the 2011-12 catalog and didn't see anything about not being able to use old credits in the Area of Study- what I did find under a second bachelor's degree was the requirement that 24 credits be new, which by definition means that 9 old credits can be used.

I agree. I think that you need 24 new credits in the specialization and thats it.
That is what they told me and that is how my degree eval looks right now. Lots of courses that were in the specialization were removed and 3 upper level courses were retained.