Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses (/Thread-Thomas-Edison-State-University-suspended-indefinitely-Shmoop-courses)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - Yenisei - 05-04-2018

I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - davewill - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.
Seems a safe bet. I always thought it would be ACE that would crack down.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - FlyBoyEJ - 05-04-2018

Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - davewill - 05-04-2018

I would work through Shmoop, too. When TESU first tried to downgrade the study.com courses, study worked out an extended period to get them in.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - jcasillas74 - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 03:26 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.
It totally defeats the purpose of having your degree program approved. Mind you, I'm finishing my BSBA and didn't need Shmoop, but I was thinking about getting a second bachelor's in English. That said, happy to support the cause in whatever way I can.

(05-04-2018, 03:30 PM)davewill Wrote: I would work through Shmoop, too. When TESU first tried to downgrade the study.com courses, study worked out an extended period to get them in.
Smart.

(05-04-2018, 03:26 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: Alrighty. I'm totally in! We need to push back in some way. We have a right to more time to complete our *approved courses*. They've given their word in the past to honor our approved evaluations for the duration of enrollment, and they need to stick to that, or there is a major problem that goes beyond whether or not they accept Shmoop in the future. A month is a slap in the face to their students.

A link to TESU'sĀ academic appeals policy:

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/academic-appeals-and-waivers.

Also, do they have a Facebook page?

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - fork - 05-04-2018

Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - jcasillas74 - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fork Wrote: Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

Perhaps, but I think the main issue is that many students have had Shmoop courses approved and now have been given less than a month to complete them. Not cool.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - fork - 05-04-2018

(05-04-2018, 03:46 PM)jcasillas74 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:43 PM)fork Wrote: Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw at shmoop. That stuff they have for the english/lit classes is crazy. It's like they've just reinterpreted classic works with valley girl sounding nonsense.

Perhaps, but I think the main issue is that many students have had Shmoop courses approved and now have been given less than a month to complete them. Not cool.

Yeah if it's approved already people should be able to finish, but also if the courses are really that bad then it cheapens the degree. That's the last thing any of us should want.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - dfsquare - 05-04-2018

RATS! I need 4 UL for BALS to graduate this summer. I need to complete this month while I finish my capstone so I am done by 6/30 to walk in September. So besides Study any other fast options? Price not really an issue, it's more speed. I'll go look at the Study courses again as well.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - jsd - 05-04-2018

Wow, that's incredible. I'm sure as others have said it's because it's unproctored.

I think a lot of changes are coming to the way TESU accepts non-traditional credit, probably prompted by the school's new president. That's disappointing. If things keep going down this road, are we looking at a Big 2?