Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
The Real "Big 4" is Here! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: The Real "Big 4" is Here! (/Thread-The-Real-Big-4-is-Here)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - dfrecore - 11-22-2017

But if you need graded credits (I needed them for the WVNCC BOG degree), then TECEP's won't work.

I think this is a good degree for those who really NEED an AA/AS/AAS for work or something like that, but not much use for the rest. I would only recommend an AAS if you needed it, and then only if you could get one in the area that you needed (like Fire Service to become a fireman or something along those lines). But a general AAS will do nothing for most people.

Obviously, if you already have 15cr graded, and all of the credits you need for the degree, then it's a no-brainer (I got one just to see what the process was). But I won't be putting it on my resume or anything, as there is no use.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - quigongene - 11-23-2017

TECEPs won't, but UExcels likely will.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - jsd - 11-23-2017

That reminds me, I should probably remove my AA from my resume, especially after I'm all done with my second Bachelor's. It just takes up space and has nothing to do with my career field (or any potential future field...)

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - EI2HCB - 12-08-2017

(11-22-2017, 11:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: But if you need graded credits (I needed them for the WVNCC BOG degree), then TECEP's won't work.

I think this is a good degree for those who really NEED an AA/AS/AAS for work or something like that, but not much use for the rest.  I would only recommend an AAS if you needed it, and then only if you could get one in the area that you needed (like Fire Service to become a fireman or something along those lines).  But a general AAS will do nothing for most people.

Obviously, if you already have 15cr graded, and all of the credits you need for the degree, then it's a no-brainer (I got one just to see what the process was).  But I won't be putting it on my resume or anything, as there is no use.

what is the procedure for applying there is no apply now button on the page I read about it on?

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - quigongene - 12-08-2017

(12-08-2017, 06:59 PM)EI2HCB Wrote: what is the procedure for applying there is no apply now button on the page I read about it on?

WVNCC now requires you take 15 credits from them.  The only free one left is Pierpont.

https://secure.cfwv.com/applications/Pierpont_CTC/apply.html

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - cardiacclep - 12-20-2017

(11-19-2017, 03:30 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 03:46 AM)jsd Wrote: Save your breath to pump their tires when they can deliver a bachelor's. Or even just an associates without traditional credits.

They're fantastic for what they are: A great alternative route to an AAS. But they still require more traditional credits for that AAS. Not even an AA/AS, let alone BA/BS.

I would recommend them in all sorts of situations, and I think they're one of the greatest new discoveries this forum has uncovered over the past year or whatever.. but they're not in the same league as the Big 3.

No, definitely not. Associate's degrees have such a limited usefulness that most folks are better off skipping one and going right to a bachelor's. I would only recommend one if it's no pain on the way to the bachelor's, the associate's has a definable value to the students career, or the student simply cannot finish a bachelor's in a timely manner.

Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - EI2HCB - 12-21-2017

Might be still worth my while, I have about 15 credits to go for my AS in Accounting at my local community College but it will take me three semester cycles to get it there. ( I might need work during tax season this year) They only run certain classes every two years. Defcore, did they take DSST I didn't see it mentioned on the school catalog? Did you have to pay the $300 for the evaluation or is that just for workplace experience evaluation.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - AJ_Atlanta - 12-22-2017

(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

I would partially agree. I think of them more like having a minor. For example if I was hiring a new person for my marketing team and I had two candidates with BAs. If one also had an AAS in English it would put them ahead for sure. I would probably consider it better than most (not all) certificate programs.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - dfrecore - 12-22-2017

(12-22-2017, 01:41 PM)AJ_Atlanta Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:04 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: Agreed. The only associates that are worthwhile are specific career focused associates like nursing, IT or trades.

I would partially agree. I think of them more like having a minor.  For example if I was hiring a new person for my marketing team and I had two candidates with BAs.  If one also had an AAS in English it would put them ahead for sure.   I would probably consider it better than most (not all) certificate programs.

Since AAS stands for Associate in Applied Science, I'm thinking an AAS in English doesn't exist.  But I could certainly be wrong.

I don't think of an AA/AS as a concentration or minor, since a lot of times, there are very few courses required for it that would make it strong enough to think of it as a concentration.

RE: The Real "Big 4" is Here! - sanantone - 12-22-2017

Minors are usually around 18-24 credits. The major in an associates can be anywhere from 15 to 20+ credits. Associates programs, however, usually only consist of lower division credits.

There was an environmental program I was looking at that had vague requirements. They wanted an appropriate bachelors that would prepare one for science coursework. I told them that I had a non-science bachelors and a biology associates. They told me that would be enough for admission. I won't be applying to the program, but It's nice to know that my ASNSM could be used in negotiating entrance requirements.

I haven't contacted the biology program that requires a bachelors in biology, but I wonder if they would also let me slide or if they want the typical general education sciences required in bio programs. I likely won't apply to them either since I found a cheaper biology program that only requires 24 credits in biology.