Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! (/Thread-More-NCCRS-Approved-Courses-from-Saylor)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - nj593 - 12-05-2013

I think Solil is somewhat right as per their site it says
"How it works for Students

The Saylor Foundation and Thomas Edison State College have matched Saylor.org courses with TECEP content guides. This means that if you successfully work through one of the aligned Saylor courses, you will be prepared to pass the TECEP exams and earn college credit:

Or I could be reading it wrong. Smile

rebel100 Wrote:courses approved by NCCRS will transfer directly as if on an ACE or FEMA transcript....nothing extra to take.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - sanantone - 12-05-2013

nj593 Wrote:I think Solil is somewhat right as per their site it says
"How it works for Students

The Saylor Foundation and Thomas Edison State College have matched Saylor.org courses with TECEP content guides. This means that if you successfully work through one of the aligned Saylor courses, you will be prepared to pass the TECEP exams and earn college credit:

Or I could be reading it wrong. Smile

You're reading about the credit-aligned courses, not the NCCRS-approved courses. You don't need to take any outside tests in order to receive credit for the NCCRS courses. All you have to do is pass Saylor's proctored final. If you need proof, HorseManiac has actually done this.

Quote:How it works for Students

A number of Saylor.org courses and exams have been thoroughly reviewed by a panel of independent credentialed professors and subject matter experts, resulting in the recommendation of 3 to 4 credit hours per course. This means that if you successfully work through one of these Saylor courses, and pass a proctored exam, Saylor will be able to issue you an official Saylor Foundation Transcript, which can be submitted to colleges and universities. To date, over 1500 schools have approved NCCRS recommended credit. To be eligible for college credit complete the steps below:

Choose one of Saylor.org’s NCCRS recommended courses (course list below)
Work through the course material as outlined on the course page.
Complete the proctored exam. Students have the option to take the exam with an online proctor, or with an in-person proctor:
The approved online proctoring service which Saylor has chosen to use is ProctorU. You can find detailed information about the ProctorU exam taking process here. (There is a $25 fee, payable to ProctorU, for this online exam proctoring service).
Students can also choose to arrange for an in-person proctor. Guidelines and instructions for in-person proctoring can be found here.
Upon successful completion of an NCCRS recommended exam, students can request to have an official Saylor Foundation transcript sent directly to schools of their choosing, or have a sealed copy sent to themselves. You can download the Transcript Request Form here.
http://www.saylor.org/student-credit-pathways/nccrs/

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - HorseManiac - 12-06-2013

sanantone Wrote:I hope that partner page is right. Do you all remember when TESC used to count ALEKS Business Statistics as Operations Management, but changed the equivalency to Statistics? Well, Saylor's partner page says that their Business Statistics course is transcribed as Operations Management by TESC. If that is true, then that'll be great. The page also says that Saylor's Beginning Algebra is equivalent to TESC's College Algebra.

Wow, I didn't even notice that. I was only looking at the Computer Science course, but yeah, that would be great. Especially, if you could get algebra credit since that whole thing with ALEKS getting re-accredited.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - mzjayw - 03-08-2014

Hello,
I have been looking at Saylor and Straighterline. I am currently finishing up my math with ALEKS. But can anyone help me with which of the two is the easiest. Are Saylor and Straighterline exams open book or can you use notes? I will be home for the next week and would like to finish as many classes as possible. Or would it be best to Clep?
Thanks in advance

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Devanna - 03-09-2014

mzjayw Wrote:Are Saylor and Straighterline exams open book or can you use notes?

I don't know about Saylor but for Straighterline it depends on the class you take. Here's a link that lists which are open and closed book:

Exam Proctoring Details

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - HorseManiac - 03-09-2014

mzjayw Wrote:Hello,
I have been looking at Saylor and Straighterline. I am currently finishing up my math with ALEKS. But can anyone help me with which of the two is the easiest. Are Saylor and Straighterline exams open book or can you use notes? I will be home for the next week and would like to finish as many classes as possible. Or would it be best to Clep?
Thanks in advance

As far as I know, Saylor courses are NOT open book. I never asked about notes when I took mine, but I didn't find anything on their website saying one way or the other.

Also, if you're looking to save money, then Saylor would probably be the way to go. If you're looking for fast, then Straighterline or CLEP would probably be better. I haven't used Straighterline, so hopefully some others can comment on them.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - mzjayw - 03-09-2014

Thank you! This helped a lot. I think I am going with Straighterline, most of their finals are open booked. That is too good of a deal to pass up and I have buy one get one free code.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - mzjayw - 03-27-2014

I would like to try a Saylor course. Which ones are the easiest? Does anybody know or have any suggestions?

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - HorseManiac - 03-28-2014

mzjayw Wrote:I would like to try a Saylor course. Which ones are the easiest? Does anybody know or have any suggestions?

I only took 2 Saylor courses and they were both somewhat involved. I don't know how difficult the new ones they added are, but you can go to the Saylor website and take a look at what's required before you start. Since it's open courseware you don't have to enroll so you can look at all the lessons and reading that's required before you pick one to work on.

HTH!

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Photog - 05-04-2014

I just noticed on the ProctorU site for Saylor that PSYCH404: Psychotherapy, is listed in the drop down for exam schedules. It doesn't say anything on the Saylor website yet, but i'm hoping it means another NCCRS course from Saylor, because i'm really enjoying Saylor courses.