Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
College Mathematics - BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS?? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: College Mathematics - BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS?? (/Thread-College-Mathematics-BEDMAS-vs-PEMDAS)

Pages: 1 2 3

College Mathematics - BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS?? - jsd - 03-03-2017

Old Guy Wrote:" 4 / 2 * 2. Your answer is either 4 or 1 depending on what you do first." 2*1/2*4 = 4 // division by 2 is multiplication by 1/2. // Order is irrelevant.

If you did multiplication first you'd get 4 / 4 = one. You don't do multiplication first, because divion came first in the problem.

Old Guy Wrote:"10-3+2, the correct answer is 9, not 5." // -3+2+10 = 9 // How would you ever get 5?

Same concept, if you did addition fist (just because "A" comes first in "PEMDAS") you'd get 10 - 5 = 5

College Mathematics - BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS?? - Old Guy - 03-03-2017

jsd Wrote:If you did multiplication first you'd get 4 / 4 = one. You don't do multiplication first, because divion came first in the problem.

Same concept, if you did addition fist (just because "A" comes first in "PEMDAS") you'd get 10 - 5 = 5

Not to be blunt but you have never used a desk calculator. If you had the addition/subtraction question would be obvious. -3+2 never equals -5

Multiplication and division are the same thing. To divide by 2 you multiply by 1/2.

You're saying I can't use a calculator because I'm pointing out that 10-3+2 should NOT be done as 10 - (3+2), which using PEMDAS (or other acronyms) might mislead people into believing?

Okay man.

I get where you're coming from but why wouldn't you do like functions such as addition and subtraction simultaneously? With a desk calculator you put in the number and then you add or subtract it. There is no hierarchy. Addition and subtraction are identical.

I mean, that's the point. I'm giving the example of a WRONG way of doing it, which is a common mis-reading of PEMDAS. You should specifically not do it the wrong way I explained above. It's a fault of the acronym if you're not aware, and a fault of not doing like functions simultaneously.

This is like me saying "The word is spelled enough, don't spell it enuff"

And you saying I've never used a dictionary if I would ever think someone would spell it enuff.

I guess my point is why make a distinction? In my mind I don't ever subtract. I add negative numbers so there is never any reason to do it wrong.

clep3705 Wrote:We could be like LinkedIn and have a pointless discussion about what the answer must be.

Hey, you called it!

We all agree on the right answer but somehow there's still a weird dispute.

Old Guy Wrote:I guess my point is why make a distinction? In my mind I don't ever subtract. I add negative numbers so there is never any reason to do it wrong.

Congrats on doing it right?

Many people don't. Even that addition/subtraction example I used was not my own. It was from wikipedia, as an example of an overly simple problem that is commonly done wrong because of a PEMDAS misinterpretation.

Again, I'm saying "don't do it the wrong way," and you're saying "why not just do it the right way?"

Okay, we agree. The acronym makes no sense.

College Mathematics - BEDMAS vs. PEMDAS?? - jessikalauren - 03-03-2017

I *think* I gathered what I need from this discussion - thanks everyone!

The first few questions I clicked through seemed to really reverse the orders in ways I wasn't accustomed to but I think I'll be fine.

Appreciate the help Smile