Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Addicted... - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Addicted... (/Thread-Addicted--20320)

Pages: 1 2 3

Addicted... - burbuja0512 - 08-09-2014

publius2k4 Wrote:Why not get Ph.D or a DBA?

If you want something related to healthcare, Northcentral University has a DBA in Healthcare Administration

DBA in Health Care Administration Online | Northcentral University

I've thought about this before, but business bores the hell out of me. I mean... "real" business is wonderful and I love my job, and my MBA was great because of the focus on emerging markets and bilingual aspects of it. Plain 'ol business study puts me to sleep.

I'm in international business (Head of Global Sales) for a prominent medical organization. I've sold medical information for much of my career, so healthcare is a relevant topic, but not sure about healthcare administration. It's interesting, but probably better for a slightly different career path.

I am interested in other cultures and languages and love international business.. but what I really love about it is working with people all over the world. So, I would want to study something that relates to those interests.

@sanantone - thanks for the resume link. LOL seems like I've seen that one before. Smile

Addicted... - sanantone - 08-09-2014

University of Southern Mississippi offers a distance PhD in International Development with various concentrations for a reasonable price.

Addicted... - Lindagerr - 08-09-2014

DON"T do it get a hobby. I may have more time on my hands then I need right now (I went for a job interview Thursday even though I knew I didn't want and couldn't take the job.) but the lack of study stress has been good for me. I read just because I want to and I have started making a scrap book for each one of my children.

Of course I have spent most of the last three months getting my old house ready to sell and next week I am having shoulder surgery, but that is much less stressful then studying:roflol:

Oh by the way I am addicted to this site too.

Addicted... - burbuja0512 - 08-09-2014

sanantone Wrote:University of Southern Mississippi offers a distance PhD in International Development with various concentrations for a reasonable price.

Ohhhhhh.. I like this one. I need to check it out. This is why I love this site. You guys are so much better than I am at finding cool stuff.

@Lindagerr - nice to hear from you!! Hope you're doing well. Yes, I do need a hobby.... lol Travel season for work starts up in September, so I'll be busy enough soon, but until then...

Addicted... - mrs.b - 08-09-2014

Addicted to the site as well! I might not check it daily like I once did - I peek in once a week or two - I like glancing through to see if there are opportunities to "pay it forward."

As far as Perpetual Student Syndrome... I thought I had it, but I was mistaken. Earlier this year, I was looking back on my time as a student fondly and thought, why not dive in and do it again! So, I enrolled in an Accounting course through LSU to refresh myself on carving out study time before I dove head-long into a graduate program. Goodness, I'm glad I did. We've got a lot more going on in the family since the drive for that Bachelors, and finding study time has been a monumental task. Making myself sit down and study again is like pulling my own teeth. I've already decided that any further education for me is going on hold once I finish this course until my kiddo is graduated. I've got the 4-year degree and that's the job security I'd need for any positions I desire.

If you've got the time, motivation, funds, and desire, though...why not?

Addicted... - LaterBloomer - 08-10-2014

What do you plan to do once you retire? Maybe you could work to that goal. With your backround, something about medicine or science in developing nations?

Or, why not just take "odd" courses? Study doesn't have to end it a degree. Part of the reason that some of us do so well on the tests is because we have a foundation in the topic. The foundation isn't always work experience, but information we've picked up along the way. Maybe you can take a course in some left field (for you) topic, and find a whole new interest.

Addicted... - sanantone - 08-10-2014

The University of Albany School of Public Health offers a free, non-credit, certificate program in the Foundations of Public Health.
Empire State Public Health Training Center

Addicted... - soliloquy - 08-10-2014

Is is the degree that draws you or just the learning process? If it's just the learning process, take some MOOC's and save your money.

Addicted... - burbuja0512 - 08-11-2014

LaterBloomer Wrote:What do you plan to do once you retire? Maybe you could work to that goal. With your backround, something about medicine or science in developing nations?

Or, why not just take "odd" courses? Study doesn't have to end it a degree. Part of the reason that some of us do so well on the tests is because we have a foundation in the topic. The foundation isn't always work experience, but information we've picked up along the way. Maybe you can take a course in some left field (for you) topic, and find a whole new interest.

Retire? OMG.. I love working way too much... I don't even want to think about it yet. (I am SUCH a nerd!!!!)

Soliloquy Wrote:Is is the degree that draws you or just the learning process? If it's just the learning process, take some MOOC's and save your money.

This is a REALLY good question. Since I waited until my 30's to even finish my undergrad, I can't say that it's the degree per se, but I'm extremely goal oriented and a degree fits nicely into my goal plan. For example, some years ago, I decided that I would run a marathon. I had never run before and gave myself one year from start to finish. Did I have to do a marathon? No.. running just to get in shape would probably have been better for me, but it wasn't interesting - there had to be some sort of tangible check box to mark. I can give lots of other examples. I always seem to "need" an active goal that has a defined start and a clearly defined win. MOOC's unfortunately, while much smarter and more practical, don't really provide this..

For now, my husband has asked me to hold off until we remodel the kitchen, which will likely be early next year. This is a very fair thing to ask and if I start spending big on a new degree, the kitchen will never get remodeled. I guess DH is very wise.. he's not asking me not to do it.. but to wait for a while. This is a good idea and will test my interest level. Not to mention, I may just find another goal in the meanwhile. lol

Addicted... - Lindagerr - 08-12-2014

I think you nailed it with the goal problem. That is where I am having my biggest problem.
Once I finished my BA my goal was to get the Masters in Teaching, but then I realized because of my age the ROI made that a waste.
So then I focused on getting my full teaching certification,, but moving to NY made that a losing deal.
So then I tried using my degree to get me a job back in the lab, I even finished the work for the AAS, but I think I have hit the ageism wall.
So then I set my goal as being able to substitute Teach in SC(I can only substitute aide here in NY) that way I could rationalize spending my winters in warmer territory. I was able to meet the requirements in SC but the weather was so bad this past year that everything was delayed and I only got to sub 1/2 day before I had to come back north. Now I won't be able to go back down there until late Nov. and I just hope they haven't written me off by that time.
Next was my goal to get my house in NJ sold. I spent the last three months getting things done there and the house looks beautiful and is on the market, but I can't do anything to make it sell.
So now I feel aimless because my only other goal right now is to make it to 62 so I can retire and collect Social security based on the earnings I made during my many years of working. My husband is 2 years younger so if I collect for 6 years until he is old enough to retire I will have made back most of what I have put in over the years then I can go on his. I again have no control there I just have to wait for the passage of time.
I need a new goal and that is what leaves me feeling like I have too much time on my hands. After Friday I will need to concentrate on recovering from the rotater cuff surgery(I hear it is a months long process) but by the time I recover from that I will really need to find something or I will be looking for cheap degrees just to keep me busy.

The point of all this is getting your kitchen redone is a great goal for now (my girlfriend is doing this now and just the floor, cabinet style and color, back-splash, layout and appliances selections are a major project), but while you are doing that try to think of another goal that doesn't cost to much but will occupy enough of your time and give you a sense of checking off the box.