Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! (/Thread-More-NCCRS-Approved-Courses-from-Saylor)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - cookderosa - 12-01-2013

Sweet!!!!!

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - JBtesc - 12-02-2013

sanantone Wrote:BUS203: Principles of Marketing
BUS204: Business Statistics
BUS205: Business Law and Ethics
BUS208: Principles of Management
BUS210: Corporate Communication
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I
MA001: Beginning Algebra
MA005: Calculus 1
POLSC201: Introduction to Western Political Thought

National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors

Darn, I already knew about those. Sad

I did the unproctored final exam for the pol sci one to see how hard it was, didn't pass, lol, and put it out of my mind.

I hope coursera adds more though, I prefer their format to saylor, and to tesc for that matter.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - sanantone - 12-02-2013

My problem with Coursera is that you can't start and finish their courses anytime. Sometimes, you have to wait a few months to a year for the course to be offered again or even for the first time. The final for Bioelectricity was only offered from April 4-11. I've been waiting a loooong time for Introduction to Evolution to open up. You might as well act like Coursera's ACE-approved courses don't exist since they're so inconvenient to take.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - HorseManiac - 12-02-2013

This is great!! I loved the Saylor courses I took and I really wish I hadn't already fulfilled these areas with other tests. Anyway, this is great news!!

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - JBtesc - 12-02-2013

sanantone Wrote:My problem with Coursera is that you can't start and finish their courses anytime. Sometimes, you have to wait a few months to a year for the course to be offered again or even for the first time. The final for Bioelectricity was only offered from April 4-11. I've been waiting a loooong time for Introduction to Evolution to open up. You might as well act like Coursera's ACE-approved courses don't exist since they're so inconvenient to take.

Yeah. They're not convenient for earning credit but I love taking them for fun. When I see new courses come up I get annoyed that I can't take them because I'm too busy taking my "real" courses, lol. I can't wait til I'm done and I can go back to taking coursera courses for fun, and I actually learn more from them too.

The ones that are done are still a good source of video lectures if you're studying for a test or other course on the same subject.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Photog - 12-05-2013

I just finished my first course with Saylor, Introduction to Computer Science and passed the final with 80%
It shows on my transcript with Saylor as complete and also has a verification code for the certificate.

Does this mean when I'm ready to enroll with TESC that I just send them the transcript?
Does anyone know where it will fit into Gen Ed. so I don't take similar course elsewhere?

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - michaelfrye1970 - 12-05-2013

I have been prepping to take the marketing CLEP but maybe I will try this out just to see how I like it. Does anyone know if these are open / closed book. Notes allowed?
What I do like is that you can take an unproctored exam first, which I imagine will cover the same material.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - HorseManiac - 12-05-2013

Photog Wrote:I just finished my first course with Saylor, Introduction to Computer Science and passed the final with 80%
It shows on my transcript with Saylor as complete and also has a verification code for the certificate.

Does this mean when I'm ready to enroll with TESC that I just send them the transcript?
Does anyone know where it will fit into Gen Ed. so I don't take similar course elsewhere?

In order to receive credit at TESC, you have to take the proctored final, that requires a password. I'm thinking that you took the un-proctored practice final exam which will give you a certificate. If that's the case, then you'll need to either find a proctor to administer the proctored final or pay $25 to take the final through ProctorU. The un-proctored final is great practice for the proctored final (at least for the 2 courses I took, they were). Here's more information...National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors

Once you finish the proctored final with over 70%, then you can send in the transcript request form to Saylor and they will send your transcript to TESC. It took about a week for TESC to receive mine. Here's the link for the transcript request form....http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Transcript-Request-Form.pdf

Also, I'm no expert and I'm not an advisor, but it says on the Saylor partner page that CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I transfers to TESC as COS101: Introduction to Computers/CIS. You'll need to have that verified with TESC though. Check out this page for more info. Just click on the link for TESC...Saylor.org

If you did take the proctored final, then you can ignore my comments above! Smile

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - Photog - 12-05-2013

HorseManiac Wrote:In order to receive credit at TESC, you have to take the proctored final, that requires a password. I'm thinking that you took the un-proctored practice final exam which will give you a certificate. If that's the case, then you'll need to either find a proctor to administer the proctored final or pay $25 to take the final through ProctorU. The un-proctored final is great practice for the proctored final (at least for the 2 courses I took, they were). Here's more information...National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) « Saylor.org – Free Online Courses Built by Professors

Thank you HorseManiac Smile I can see in the testing center the option to enrol in the NCCRS final test. I take a look at ProctorU today.

More NCCRS-Approved Courses from Saylor!!! - sanantone - 12-05-2013

I hope that partner page is right. Do you all remember when TESC used to count ALEKS Business Statistics as Operations Management, but changed the equivalency to Statistics? Well, Saylor's partner page says that their Business Statistics course is transcribed as Operations Management by TESC. If that is true, then that'll be great. The page also says that Saylor's Beginning Algebra is equivalent to TESC's College Algebra.