Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Chemistry CLEP - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Chemistry CLEP (/Thread-Chemistry-CLEP--10356)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Chemistry CLEP - NAP - 08-07-2010

Sounds like you have a good combination of experience and resources which will work in your favor. Plus you are putting in lots of hard work. I'll be cheering for you!

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the Chemistry CLEP Professor CD. I have seen the series recommended for math CLEPs. I don't remember, if I looked into it for Chemistry or not. It would be nice to have instruction specifically for the topics covered on the CLEP. Let me know what you think about it.

Have a great week of studies!

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-07-2010

Thanks NAP. I've based my study regiment a lot on your feedback. I'll be sure to post my own when I'm done.

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-08-2010

NAP Wrote:Sounds like you have a good combination of experience and resources which will work in your favor. Plus you are putting in lots of hard work. I'll be cheering for you!

I'm looking forward to your feedback on the Chemistry CLEP Professor CD. I have seen the series recommended for math CLEPs. I don't remember, if I looked into it for Chemistry or not. It would be nice to have instruction specifically for the topics covered on the CLEP. Let me know what you think about it.

Have a great week of studies!
I found out about the Clep Professor in this amazon review by J Stormer...

Quote: 5.0 out of 5 stars This review will save you time and money and help you pass the chem CLEP!!!, August 24, 2009
By J. STORMER - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: CLEP Professor for CLEP and AP Chemistry (CD-ROM)
When the clep administrator at my institution informed me that no one he had ever given the chemistry clep to had passed, I decided to take the preparation very seriously. I began researching how other people had passed the test and ordered several materials. After 8+ years of no chemistry, my chemistry knowledge was not very good, so I had to prepare more than someone who just finished a high school chem or college intro chem course. If you are starting from scratch or just want to make sure you pass this test, then this is what I would recommend. Begin with the Wiley, "Chemistry Concepts and Problems: A Self Teaching Guide." This book is written in a continuous question and answer format that reviews and tests your knowledge to build a strong foundation of chemistry knowledge and problem solving. Then simultaneously study REA's "CLEP Chimistry," by Peel (I strongly recommend getting the book and CD with two practice tests included) with the Chemistry CLEP Professor software. You will find the REA book to be very summarized. I bought that first and felt like I needed more help. I found the CLEP Professor and gave it a try. My comprehension and retention immediately began skyrocketing, in addition to my practice test scores! The CLEP Professor follows the exact format and order of information of the book, but fills in a lot of the gaps. You may opt to purchase a general chemistry textbook to look up additional information on specific questions, but I would not recommend studying it alone to pass. There is too much information not focused for the CLEP exam that will make you forget what you need to know. You can also research anything you need to know more about online making the textbook unnecessary. I would recommend at least one month to go through these three materials. You should plan to spend about two weeks on the Wiley Self Study and two weeks on the CLEP professor and REA book together. That will give you 6 practice tests to work on. I recommend taking one practice test while you are studying the last two materials every other day. This will show you what you are learning and what you need to learn. Spend one month and about a total of $150 and you can save two semesters of time and about $2000. You should pass easily if you follow the three steps of this program: 1-Wiley Self-Teaching Guide, 2-CLEP Professor and REA CLEP Chemistry, 3-Take practice tests and look up material you are unfamiliar with. I hope you do well.

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-10-2010

Paging NAP...

So, I just took my first practice test on Petersons and scored a 50 out of 75. I'm pretty sure this is a passing score on the real deal with room to spare. The CLEP Professor says over half is a passing score on the CLEP.

Anyway, how do you think the Petersons tests compared to the real deal?

I intend to study quite a bit more, but I'm just curious.

Chemistry CLEP - NAP - 08-10-2010

Thanks for sharing the Amazon review. It would be great to get this study process streamlined for learning successfully.

How did you get a different number of practice questions than I did? Could the exams have been changed already? Anyway, I agree that your results are a good sign. Judging from my results, I think Peterson's may have been easier than the real test, which is unusual. Keep studying, learn why you got the answers wrong, and take as many practice tests as you can fit into the time that is left.

You are doing a great job!

P.S. You will get your score on Friday, right? "We" won't have to wait. I don't think I could take the suspense!

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-10-2010

NAP Wrote:Thanks for sharing the Amazon review. It would be great to get this study process streamlined for learning successfully.

How did you get a different number of practice questions than I did? Could the exams have been changed already? Anyway, I agree that your results are a good sign. Judging from my results, I think Peterson's may have been easier than the real test, which is unusual. Keep studying, learn why you got the answers wrong, and take as many practice tests as you can fit into the time that is left.

You are doing a great job!

P.S. You will get your score on Friday, right? "We" won't have to wait. I don't think I could take the suspense!
I don't know. The Peterson site has been a little weird today. Mine actually showed 150 questions, but the last 75 were just repeating the first 75, so I just went by that. I figured the real test has 75 questions so it was just some kind of error on their side. It seemed to cover a pretty widespread group of topics. Also, whenever I've tried to go into a test since I took that one, it asks me to log in to some thompson text book site... Really weird!

And, yep, I take it Friday. I'm excited. I feel pretty confident right now.

I really appreciate the feedback you posted and the support. I probably wouldn't even be attempting this if I hadn't read your posts.

Oh, and Saturday I'm heading to Vegas, so I need to pass so I'll be in a good mood for the trip. Smile

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-13-2010

I did it! ...but you'd never guess my score...

[Image: 08132010003.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10 hours of credit is 10 hours of credit, right? Wink

Chemistry CLEP - NAP - 08-13-2010

Woohoo!!!!! Congratulations!!!

I am so proud of you! You learned this with only a fraction of the time and resources that I had. I consider you to be my first Chemistry success story! (I am hoping for many more.)

You earned 10 credits! Is that semester hours with lab? Wow!

Chemistry CLEP - sooner423 - 08-13-2010

Yep, with labs. That's 2 semesters of Chem I don't have to go through, so awesome! I was sweating it though, I didn't think I passed. The actual test was way harder than any of my 5 practice tests.

Thank you so much again for your posts. They gave a great outline on what to study and I don't think I would have passed without them.

I'll be giving an outline on my own experience, but it will probably have to wait until after my Vegas trip. I hope the good luck follows me there.

Chemistry CLEP - NAP - 08-13-2010

I am having a hard time concentrating on my Biochemistry studies, since I am so incredibly happy for you!

One of the reasons that the exam is hard is because there is not enough time to think through the questions. It makes it very difficult to really tell how you are doing. That must have been quite an experience for you!

I’m glad you think my feedback was actually helpful to you. Yes, please post your feedback, when you get a chance. I think your perspective will be very valuable to others.

Congratulations!