Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses (/Thread-Thomas-Edison-State-University-suspended-indefinitely-Shmoop-courses)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - Yenisei - 05-08-2018

I was permitted to take 3 CLEPs a day when I did it, and I think one could have taken more in the old days when they were paper-and-pencil exams.

That said, that number of Shmoop courses was never intended to be completed as fast as someone apparently did.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - rlw74 - 05-08-2018

I am so curious now to know exactly how many credits and in what period of time. Technically one can open every exam and take them cold - possibly passing multiple courses in one day. Even with cheating - open tabs or word docs - I don't see the probably of passing most exams in this way, even with background knowledge. Maybe multiple people were taking the exams on the same account? or maybe somewhere out there in shmoop universe someone has created some kind of cheat sheets for the exams (since they don't tell you what questions you got right or wrong though this may not be possible). Very curious and I'm sure there is a lot more to the story.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - High_Order1 - 05-08-2018

We're all making a ton of assumptions.

Even the email from Shmoop - every person on here has a story of getting 3 answers from two people at these schools and course providers.

There is no way to say that what the email said was even the problem.

It's going to take someone on the inside of BOTH places to piece this together.

Only thing concrete I've seen is a person got an email saying get their stuff in by the 30th of this month and they'd be ok.

Didn't Shmoop have an active account here?

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - bluebooger - 05-09-2018

I heard Shmoop colluded with the Russians to keep Hillary from getting elected

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - scout2family - 05-10-2018

Here's what I received via email (note that I am an applicant and not enrolled, I didn't realize that I could only submit 2 transcripts for my initial evaluation):

Hi Natasha,

I spoke to my supervisor in regards to your questions to confirm. Your third evaluation is approved and will be completed shortly, however, Thomas Edison is still not accepting the credits from Shmoop. If the other transcript that you plan on sending over only has Shmoop credits on it, you should not send this transcript. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Diana Addesa
Thomas Edison State University
Office of the Registrar

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - mvk - 05-15-2018

Latest academic evaluation done but Shmoop courses are not approved . Sad

There is a message at the end of academic evaluation

05/15/18

Due to what may be aberrations in course credits earned based on the completion of Shmoop University courses, the acceptance of Shmoop University courses will be suspended while we conduct an extensive review of our concerns. This suspension remains in effect until further notice. Thomas Edison State University generally accepts the credit recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) CREDIT and the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS). The list of programs, licenses and certifications reviewed by these services are constantly being updated, and the University reserves the right to determine which recommendations it will accept.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - BSLIONS - 05-15-2018

(05-08-2018, 03:07 PM)rlw74 Wrote: I am so curious now to know exactly how many credits and in what period of time. Technically one can open every exam and take them cold - possibly passing multiple courses in one day. Even with cheating - open tabs or word docs - I don't see the probably of passing most exams in this way, even with background knowledge. Maybe multiple people were taking the exams on the same account? or maybe somewhere out there in shmoop universe someone has created some kind of cheat sheets for the exams (since they don't tell you what questions you got right or wrong though this may not be possible). Very curious and I'm sure there is a lot more to the story.

I actually took all the Shmoop courses I did cold. Went straight through and took the end of chapter tests plus exams. Passed 5 courses and failed 1. But the one I failed I was just doing because I still had some time on my account. So it can be done.

(05-15-2018, 10:16 AM)mvk Wrote: Latest academic evaluation done but Shmoop courses are not approved . Sad

There is a message at the end of academic evaluation

05/15/18

Due to what may be aberrations in course credits earned based on the completion of Shmoop University courses, the acceptance of Shmoop University courses will be suspended while we conduct an extensive review of our concerns. This suspension remains in effect until further notice. Thomas Edison State University generally accepts the credit recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) CREDIT and the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS). The list of programs, licenses and certifications reviewed by these services are constantly being updated, and the University reserves the right to determine which recommendations it will accept.

I got the same thing after the admission advisor told me they would be. So I emailed them again citing the last email I got from them. We’ll see what happens.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - Paramedic12 - 05-15-2018

Same thing happened to me. Academic advising told me they’d be honored a week ago. Latest eval not showing those courses

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - BSLIONS - 05-15-2018

This was their reply.

Thank you for your message. I see the note from Academic Advising to add to the Shmoop courses so we will do so. You should receive an email that your evaluation has been updated by the end of the day tomorrow. Thank you.

Cathy Punchello-Cobos
Associate Vice President and University Registrar

So basically just stay on top of them.

RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - originalamyj - 05-16-2018

I had two Shmoop courses on my ACE transcript from before all this happened that I had not sent over yet. I sent it immediately and also emailed my advisor because the courses were not "preapproved". She replied that I did have a note on my account that I was to take Shmoop so if I would send in my transcript I would likely be fine. Just got a note that they got it and those two courses were approved. I don't think there was a "note" because I don't recall talking to her about it specifically, however I did have previous Shmoop courses and I think that's why they were honored. At any rate I'm glad they were!