Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Burned Out - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Burned Out (/Thread-Burned-Out)

Pages: 1 2

Burned Out - frankiebleyes - 04-16-2009

Anyone here just get burned out with studying from time to time? I'm not really putting that much pressure on as many of the members here have, but I have taken two courses and seven tests since middle of March. I'm trying to study for biology, but just can't get into it. Need those credits. Any suggestions how to kick myself into getting back into the groove?

By the way, thanks for all the responses to my question on Big 3 and WGU for my son. He is going to check on the BS in Liberal Arts, master in IT.

Burned Out - motuterry - 04-16-2009

frankiebleyes Wrote:Anyone here just get burned out with studying from time to time? I'm not really putting that much pressure on as many of the members here have, but I have taken two courses and seven tests since middle of March. I'm trying to study for biology, but just can't get into it. Need those credits. Any suggestions how to kick myself into getting back into the groove?

By the way, thanks for all the responses to my question on Big 3 and WGU for my son. He is going to check on the BS in Liberal Arts, master in IT.

Firstly, 7 tests and two courses since middle March is considerable pressure! I don't blame you for feeling burned out. Secondly, unless your wired for it, biology is tough to get into.

The motivator that has always kicked my butt back into gear was a deadline. Schedule the test and your head will follow.

Best of luck to you!

-Terry

Burned Out - Lindagerr - 04-16-2009

I agree with everything Terry said.

The only thing I would add is if all else fails table Biology and go on to the next test, come back to Bio later. I have had to do that with Physics and Calculus.

Burned Out - MadMax396 - 04-16-2009

I had similar problems studying for a couple of test. Biology with the 900 questions yes 878 is 900 in my book I round up is particularly crazy. I tried to have a couple of theme songs while studying. Only one to date that I had to take notes just to remember where I was in the studying process. We all get exhausted of course because we aren't V8 Engines but dont worry, we tend to last longer.

All the Best

Burned Out - malcs - 04-16-2009

Burned out, you bet!

I am cooked out of my skull at this point.

31 credits in 6 weeks, most of them upper level. I have one more test (world pop), and I will take it next thursday. I then will have my BSLS from Excelsior.

Not to mention that I took my PMP exam the week before all of this, and that took 3 weeks of study.

While doing so I have also received an area of concentration in Psyc, since I now have 21 psyc credits.

I took a 25 year sabbatical from school, and decided to finish it all in 6 weeks. When I started this binge I only had 86 credits due to a lot of older comp sci and technology courses falling off of my transcript. I am now at 117.

I have fond memories of those full time brick and mortar college days from the past, where you could go to a class, hang out in the square, do a little homework, hang out in the student center, .... We may get things done quickly here, but it is no walk in the park.

I would bet that I am not the only one here that has been been backed into a wall by the economy, and who sees getting their degree as essential to put food on the table. All of this after holding many senior level jobs along the way.

Burned Out - codface - 04-17-2009

I've done 4 tests in the last 3 weeks and I started studying yesterday for Bus. Law 1 and U.S. Hist. 1, testing for those next Wednesday. I've studied for about 5 hours tonight and I think my eyes are starting to bleed! I know there's a lot of people here that are working 10 times harder than me at this but I'm starting to get a little burned out myself!

I'm 48 and haven't studied like this since High School! You know, there's a little lake in the woods behind my house that's got some big largemouth bass in it. I believe I'm just going to go try to catch a few tomorrow before I start studying again. Big Grin

Burned Out - lmech - 04-17-2009

Yes, I think most of us can relate to your post, and agree with most of these suggestions. As for me:

1. Look over what you have accomplished so far from time to time, and compare it with your degree plan. It's a big kick in the pants for me. Shows progress.

2. DEADLINES: Think out the time frame for your test, and do it.

3. Think of the day you will where that cap and gown.

These are my personal anti-burnout measures.

Burned Out - rileychica - 04-17-2009

lmech Wrote:Yes, I think most of us can relate to your post, and agree with most of these suggestions. As for me:

1. Look over what you have accomplished so far from time to time, and compare it with your degree plan. It's a big kick in the pants for me. Shows progress.

2. DEADLINES: Think out the time frame for your test, and do it.

3. Think of the day you will where that cap and gown.

These are my personal anti-burnout measures.

That's the same thing I do!

I can really relate to the burnout feeling... (I actually cried the other day!) I am taking 19 credits this spring and testing out of 2-3 exams per month for the last 5 months! Sometimes just looking at my degree plan and remembering that I am on a schedule is the best motivator!

When I consider that I was able to accumulate 60 credits in 5 months, I totally get why I'm stressed out. It'll be all worth it when I get the final transcript that states "Bachelors degree awarded".

Good luck with the Biology exam, I know that you can do it! All things are possible with hard work, dedication and a little faith. Wink

Burned Out - ShotoJuku - 04-17-2009

[SIZE="3"]The attainment of your degree is a journey not a destination and more importantly......it's not a race![/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]If you push yourself too hard your degree-engine will burn out.

If you don't give your degree-engine enough fuel it will stall.

The end result is failure......Sad

There is only one firm, sound and logical approach for you and you alone must find; what level of degree-octane and RPM's can your degree-engine take to run smoothly and efficiently.

This is the question that must consume you and the answer will not be found in a book, a flashcard, or even this forum. The answer is yours to discover alone.

We'll be here on the sidelines cheering for you; the checkered flag is your degree and you will get one no matter where you are in the pack - Good Luck![/COLOR]

Burned Out - Gary - 04-17-2009

Burned out and college go together like fried and egg.