Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
UMPI new masters programs - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UMPI new masters programs (/Thread-UMPI-new-masters-programs)

Pages: 1 2

UMPI new masters programs - crowbird - 10-21-2024

apparently UMPI is adding 2 new masters programs : masters of science in business and masters in AI management

they are also planning on adding B.S health admin , B.S cs and B.S cybersecurity

link to video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjbNGeIutBU

RE: UMPI new masters programs - Avidreader - 10-21-2024

This is fabulous news! So many users here have been anxiously hoping for a CS degree. Can't wait to see the course list and inevitable wiki guide plans.

RE: UMPI new masters programs - ss20ts - 10-21-2024

This is just rumors at this point. UMPI has not confirmed these degrees. Rumors have been going on about a bachelor's in CS since at least 2021. Currently UMPI does not offer a BS in the YourPace program. If these programs happen, that's awesome, but don't wait on them since these are rumors.

RE: UMPI new masters programs - bjcheung77 - 10-22-2024

Clifford is a TESU graduate, he may have some experience with UMPI, but I doubt this will materialize until someone higher up at UMPI understands there is a need for new degrees and creates a team to make that happen. It may come, but that time line isn't showing anywhere, there are no mentions on their websites, so, I would guess it's all speculation for now...

RE: UMPI new masters programs - Tomas - 10-22-2024

He cites Dr. Margeson as his source, for computer science and cybersecurity degrees at least.
But it was not part of the citation that it will be BS, I lean toward the comment Clifford? made that more likely it might be BA.

RE: UMPI new masters programs - origamishuttle - 10-22-2024

(Yesterday, 01:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Clifford is a TESU graduate, he may have some experience with UMPI...

The more relevant credential for Dr. Stumme is that he actually created at least one course for YourPace. If he shares information from current staff at UMPI, then it's a valid source, and it's likely to happen at some point. However, we have seen time and time again that the staff at UMPI were expecting imminent changes that kept getting pushed back, sometimes more than a year. So while nobody should be surprised if these degrees are added, we will all be very pleasantly surprised if they happen as soon as anyone expects.  Big Grin

RE: UMPI new masters programs - Samhain408 - 10-22-2024

I would love a MS in Business to go with the degree I plan on completing this upcoming term. I would like another option since the MAOL doesn't appeal to me. If it doesn't happen for Spring 1 I guess off to WGU for the MBA or MSML it is.

RE: UMPI new masters programs - bjcheung77 - 10-22-2024

Interesting, you're thinking of going for the WGU MSML but the MAOL isn't appealing for you... They're the same type of degree, both in Leadership and they're business related if you didn't know already... It won't be soon enough that they add another degree, my suggestion is to stick with HAU MBA or WGU MBA for now if the MSML and MAOL isn't what you need.

RE: UMPI new masters programs - karehiro - 10-22-2024

(10-21-2024, 10:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote: This is just rumors at this point. UMPI has not confirmed these degrees. Rumors have been going on about a bachelor's in CS since at least 2021. Currently UMPI does not offer a BS in the YourPace program. If these programs happen, that's awesome, but don't wait on them since these are rumors.

While its true that there's currently no declared timeline as of yet, it's more than a rumor at this point and should be considered confirmed. The school is already hiring faculty for YourPace programs of Computer Science, Health Administration, Science and Mathematics, as well as hiring an Executive Director for YourPace. This is through their own jobs website: https://fa-ewca-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions?lastSelectedFacet=ORGANIZATIONS&mode=location&selectedOrganizationsFacet=300000014113651

RE: UMPI new masters programs - ss20ts - 10-22-2024

(Yesterday, 10:42 AM)karehiro Wrote:
(10-21-2024, 10:26 PM)ss20ts Wrote: This is just rumors at this point. UMPI has not confirmed these degrees. Rumors have been going on about a bachelor's in CS since at least 2021. Currently UMPI does not offer a BS in the YourPace program. If these programs happen, that's awesome, but don't wait on them since these are rumors.

While its true that there's currently no declared timeline as of yet, it's more than a rumor at this point and should be considered confirmed. The school is already hiring faculty for YourPace programs of Computer Science, Health Administration, Science and Mathematics, as well as hiring an Executive Director for YourPace. This is through their own jobs website: https://fa-ewca-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions?lastSelectedFacet=ORGANIZATIONS&mode=location&selectedOrganizationsFacet=300000014113651

You do realize that some of these positions have been listed in the past, right? Just because they are hiring doesn't mean that the programs will be coming any time soon. Like I said the CS rumor has been around since at least 2021 and it started before the on campus program began. I've been around UMPI longer than anyone here. I've seen dozens and dozens of rumors about programs and things happening on social media since 2020. Most of it has never happened. The few things that did happen took well over a year to take place.