Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Excelsior Diploma RANT - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Excelsior Diploma RANT (/Thread-Excelsior-Diploma-RANT)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Excelsior Diploma RANT - Basket Weaver - 06-27-2007

Begin Rant:

Well my diploma finally arrived last week, and let me tell you how disappointed I was in it. A group of middle school kids could have come up with a better design. It is on beige cardstock, 8 1/2" X 11", in black ink, with a stick-on gold seal. It is gaudy and NOT something I would put on my wall. When I walked into a graduate's office in the past, I always admired seeing the big diploma, it always looked fancy and made a statement about their accomplishment; this diploma sends a whole different message.

I just got off the phone with their Records Department; I asked if there was some way to get a better one, I was told "that's it". The part that really torques me is that I paid $480.00 for "Graduation Fees", this consisted of them sending me a crappy diploma and a transcript...minus my GPA I might add. To get something official with my GPA on it, I have to write them and request they mail it to me.

I always had good experiences with them during my coursework and the people were great, however, they have really dropped the ball on the diploma. It was a lot of work to accomplish just to be given something I could make in MS PowerPoint in about 10 minutes.

I hope CCU's looks better. Lee

End Rant

Excelsior Diploma RANT - ShotoJuku - 06-27-2007

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the club!

I too was somewhat disappointed by what I received but after placing it in a nice sized frame with a tassel it doesn't look too bad. I had started a thread on the MyEC page that stirred up a lot of sentiment but ultimately went nowhere.

I agree that the diploma should/could look better but I fear that there really isn't going to be any changes made anytime soon.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Excelsior Diploma RANT - Katterina - 06-27-2007

Aw, I'd heard about how tacky they looked, but I had hoped it was exaggerated. Do they still look like this? (edit: link removed)

That sticker is awful! I wonder if I can find a diploma frame that comes with frosted glass? Big Grin

PS: Is Liberal Studies listed as your major on your diploma, or does it only read "Bachelor of Science?"

Excelsior Diploma RANT - chosin01 - 06-27-2007

ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the club!

I too was somewhat disappointed by what I received but after placing it in a nice sized frame with a tassel it doesn't look too bad. I had started a thread on the MyEC page that stirred up a lot of sentiment but ultimately went nowhere.

I agree that the diploma should/could look better but I fear that there really isn't going to be any changes made anytime soon.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I understand your point about the appearance. However, even though I only have my associates degree .. It's not so much the appearance of the paper but the accomplishment behind it that makes me stand alittle taller. I have it on my wall in a nice frame and right next to it I have another empty frame just like it for my Bachelors Degree that I will be getting in a couple of months.
Cheers, Jeff

Excelsior Diploma RANT - Basket Weaver - 06-27-2007

Katterina Wrote:Aw, I'd heard about how tacky they looked, but I had hoped it was exaggerated. Do they still look like this?

That sticker is awful! I wonder if I can find a diploma frame that comes with frosted glass? Big Grin

PS: Is Liberal Studies listed as your major on your diploma, or does it only read "Bachelor of Science?"

Yep, that's the one, and yes, that's what it says. I am seriously contemplating scanning it and making my own. I can always keep the original in the closet; maybe the spiders will be impressed.Rolleyes

Excelsior Diploma RANT - mstcrow5429 - 06-27-2007

Katterina Wrote:Aw, I'd heard about how tacky they looked, but I had hoped it was exaggerated. Do they still look like this?

Looks like the diplomas I've seen from things like the UMass system...the link is dead, only got a thumb on Google Images, but I don't see anything odd about it from there. Diplomas aren't ornate works of art or anything...

Excelsior Diploma RANT - fiveninerzero - 06-27-2007

haha, I'm glad I've something pretty to look forward to in the next few months!

Excelsior Diploma RANT - Trajan - 06-27-2007

Do the diplomas still say "Member of the University of the State of New York" under Excelsior college? I thought that they were no longer a "member" of the State school system?

Excelsior Diploma RANT - ShotoJuku - 06-27-2007

Trajan Wrote:Do the diplomas still say "Member of the University of the State of New York" under Excelsior college? I thought that they were no longer a "member" of the State school system?

[SIZE="2"]SUNY is the State school system whereas USNY is the State accrediting body.[/SIZE]

Excelsior Diploma RANT - cederic824 - 06-27-2007

Quote:Do the diplomas still say "Member of the University of the State of New York" under Excelsior college?
YES.

I realize opinions on this are subjective. One persons art is another person's trash. With that said, I like mine. I think it looks professional, and it holds its own next to my brother's diploma from the local state university, hanging on the wall at our mother's house.