Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Chemistry Clep 47 what other option (/Thread-Chemistry-Clep-47-what-other-option)

Pages: 1 2

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - nptestudy2012 - 07-29-2012

Hi fellows,
I gave chemsitry clep after studying for 1 month got only 47 Sad now I can't give it again for 6 months.

Any advice on what other option do I have. I couldn't find any chem course I could take here in California. Univ of Phonex is about $1500 way too much than I can afford. Do you guys now of any course I can take which is not this expensive.

Thanks

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - NAP - 07-29-2012

So sorry to hear that; you were really close.

Does your school accept StraighterLine courses which are ACE-approved? SL offers Chemistry I with/without lab.

Online College Courses - Take College Courses Through Our Distance Learning Courses - StraighterLine

Here is a great post about the course:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-education-testing-discussion/12593-straighterline-general-chemistry-i-lab.html#post92200

Also, search the forum for Ocean County College. That has been mentioned for science courses.

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - CLEP_enthusiast - 07-29-2012

Aren't there community colleges in California in your area? I'd look there first, my CC recently raised their tuition cost this year and it's still only $92 an hour. A chemistry course with lab fee is right at $500. Apply for FAFSA, you may eligible for grant money, scholarships or other financial aid.

I understand where you're coming from. I took a college algebra test and I got a 48. My downfall was that I studied the study guide and there were only 3 or 4 questions from the guide on there. The majority of questions were very similar to the Math 120 final at my local community college. I'd advise anybody taking a CLEP to find the commensurate final at your college or university. This will surely prepare you for success, I have no doubt I'd passed my college algebra CLEP would I have studied the school's final more thoroughly, you can determine the final you will need by the type of course that is equivalently rewarded for passing the CLEP. My CC for some reason gives General College Chemistry credit for passing this CLEP. My college is an aberration, UMKC another university in my area, awards no credit for this exam.

nptestudy2012 Wrote:Hi fellows,
I gave chemsitry clep after studying for 1 month got only 47 Sad now I can't give it again for 6 months.

Any advice on what other option do I have. I couldn't find any chem course I could take here in California. Univ of Phonex is about $1500 way too much than I can afford. Do you guys now of any course I can take which is not this expensive.

Thanks

That brings up an interesting possibility, which hasn't been discussed often on this forum.

If I didn't pass this exam, I was planning to ask my local community college if I could take a challenge exam (just the final of the course) to earn credit. Since you have studied already, that may be another option. (I do know there was a difference in approaches for this subject. The community college course was more focused on the math problems of chemistry than the CLEP was, for instance.)

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - nptestudy2012 - 07-29-2012

Thanks NAP and CLEPenthusiast for answering.
The institute I need to submit my score needs to be "NACES Member". I kind off like the idea of speaking to college and see if they allow me to take exam. My assumption is they would not.

About community colleges in CA around mr area, I checked a few some say they have courses starting next summer and few do not have it. Will keep looking...

However I wished CLEP did not have a very strict 6 month blackout period.

Before you ask at your college, be sure to find their official policy on the subject, so you can prepare your request.

Here is a forum member's experience with this (probably through a school in California):

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-education-testing-discussion/1724-credit-exam-community-colleges.html#post14652

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - BGSU_Alum_86 - 07-30-2012

Also, CLEP does not have a strict 6 month retake policy. That is indeed their standard policy, but they do allow for colleges/universities to waive the 6 month retake policy for their students, requiring a minimum of 3 months. There is proper procedure that must be followed from your university in order for your score to not get voided, but this option has taken place here at our test center several times.

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - kindlyunspoken09 - 12-20-2012

Little delayed in this response.

There is an online website called Aleks.com it is $20 dollars a month and the system teaches you everything you need to know for both semester 1 and 2 of general chemistry. (my chem 1 college class used this) It really is a great resource and I found to be a much better teacher than general chemistry books. And much cheaper!!

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - cookderosa - 12-20-2012

kindlyunspoken09 Wrote:Little delayed in this response.

There is an online website called Aleks.com it is $20 dollars a month and the system teaches you everything you need to know for both semester 1 and 2 of general chemistry. (my chem 1 college class used this) It really is a great resource and I found to be a much better teacher than general chemistry books. And much cheaper!!

ALEKS is great, many here use it for math. Just to point out, there is no credit available through ALEKS chemistry at this time (though I've sent my share of emails begging for them to get those ACE evaluated!!)

I hate the idea of a CC challenge. First off, those are going to be written by the teacher or dept chair. Uhhhhh. Seriously, I wouldn't even attempt it. Teachers are not as skilled at writing exams like CLEP, you're likely to walk into an exam you have no possibility of passing without having BEEN in the lectures and lab with extensive reading from the course text. And maybe it's just my bad attitude <smile> but I think many CC teachers would never admit that a student could learn enough on their own to test out of THEIR class. Awarding "credit for what you already know" is certainly not a mantra chanted by any teachers I've met. They alllll think they have something to offer you (and they probably do).

Chemistry Clep 47 what other option - NAP - 12-20-2012

cookderosa Wrote:ALEKS is great, many here use it for math. Just to point out, there is no credit available through ALEKS chemistry at this time (though I've sent my share of emails begging for them to get those ACE evaluated!!)

I hate the idea of a CC challenge. First off, those are going to be written by the teacher or dept chair. Uhhhhh. Seriously, I wouldn't even attempt it. Teachers are not as skilled at writing exams like CLEP, you're likely to walk into an exam you have no possibility of passing without having BEEN in the lectures and lab with extensive reading from the course text. And maybe it's just my bad attitude <smile> but I think many CC teachers would never admit that a student could learn enough on their own to test out of THEIR class. Awarding "credit for what you already know" is certainly not a mantra chanted by any teachers I've met. They alllll think they have something to offer you (and they probably do).

I am not aware of anyone using ALEKS to prepare for the Chemistry CLEP. I would be interested in knowing if it works.

Yes, all of these are problems to consider in the decision to take just the final at a community college. I think they are the reasons this option is not used often. Personally, I couldn't bear the thoughts of losing 3 months of effort and learning, so I was happy to have a back-up plan. I am glad that I didn't have to pursue this because I was also concerned about all of these issues. It helped to know that Barcotta has done this process successfully (see link in my previous post).

As a good independent learner, I have run into this pride issue with certain teachers several times. I am still surprised, though, that it is possible to earn an entire undergraduate degree almost completely through independent study. That has its own challenges, and I hope to learn a lot from professors in graduate school.