Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using CLEP to strengthen a college application
I'm requesting non-speculative posts about universities using CLEP tests in reviewing an admission application from a graduating high school senior. Do you know of any big schools (the ones who have so many applicants they can be selective) who effectively let CLEP credits overcome the disadvantage of mediocre high school grades?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
No personal experience or knowledge, but I think the fact that you've knocked out so many while already in HS should be a nice selling point for two reasons:

1. You demonstrated academic aptitude at the college level. Maybe your HS just doesn't teach you as well.

2. You demonstrated a willingness to step outside of your normal boundaries and speed up your college work. This "git 'r done" attitude I would think would be a nice plus on any admissions letter. This same attitude should take you very far in life!

/my $0.02

PS massive congrats on wiping out 42 credits before even starting college!!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
"I'm requesting non-speculative posts"

Then this is the wrong place to ask your question. Email the adcoms on your application list. None of us are adcoms, and if we were, at best, we would work for 1 college- what are the odds of providing you with non-speculation? Zero.

But, I'll answer anyway, since we have a lot of high school students here.

I agree with dcan, it's up to you to spin it in your favor.

Frankly, this could put you in a poor light if you're not careful.

Use your application essay to sell yourself (and demonstrate your strong written communication ability). You HAVE to explain how you can score so highly on college tests but still have "mediocre high school grades."

One interpretation, unless you convince them otherwise, might be that your smart but lazy - that you CAN do the work but DON'T and, imo, that's an admission denial.

What might be "better" is to include a B&M class at your local CC this summer- there is still time. Pull an "A" in the class, and you show grit and endurance with harder material. THEN, you can argue that highschool was somewhat drab and boring, and only after you discovered CLEP did you get motivation/excitement blah blah blah. BUT, you need a high grade in that CC class, or I'm afraid you'll be walking this journey uphill.

You didn't ask- but just to throw out there for anyone else, if you applying in-state, you'll have an advantage over applying to an out-of-state school. You may want to keep that in mind when sending out applications.

Also, if you are applying to a competitive out of state school, rather than using your CLEP credit- take the AP tests instead. These are only offered in May at local high schools, but the schedules are such that you can take as many as you can cram in. AP tests are a feather in your cap, assuming you score 3 or better.

Good luck!!
There are two approaches that can be taken. My student can contact adcoms at the schools he is interested in. Another approach is to solicit information from people who have had positive factual experiences. Perhaps no one will provide such information. Maybe there are no such experiences to report. That would be a valid answer to my question.

But of all of the many people who read this forums, it is possible that somebody could report that they as a student or parent had a positive experience with an adcom or a school because of AP/CLEP/DSST. If so, that would be fact, not speculation. Do you argue that the factual experiences of another person are speculation when it comes to my son’s application? If so, that is irrelevant. The factual experiences of another person would be valuable in identifying another school to consider. It is impractical to contact every school that accepts CLEP. Seeking the experiences of others offers a way to broaden the search.

I think my original post was completely reasonable and appropriate.

>>

JPC: you accidentally sent to my email. Let's keep the comments on the board for all to benefit. I'll stay out of the way so you can sort through the non-speculative answers. My comments, were also "completely reasonable and appropriate."
If the university you are looking at treats CLEP exams as "transfer credits," ask the admissions office if you can apply as a transfer student rather than as a freshman. Most universities don't even ask for your high school transcripts if you apply as a transfer student.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,921 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 820 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 200 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,034 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,878 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,425 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,505 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 500 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 891 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 331 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox