Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tax returns as a student and financial aid
does anyone know if you can put yourself as a student somehow on tax returns if you are studying for clep/dsst etc 24/7 as a fulltime job?
does anyone know if there is financial assistance either for the CLEP/dsst etc tests themselves or for the tesc/coc/exe tuition?
i am pretty sure these answers are elsewhere in the forum or internet but just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head (i will search on my own if no one can help) thanks
BanzerPop Wrote:does anyone know if you can put yourself as a student somehow on tax returns if you are studying for clep/dsst etc 24/7 as a fulltime job?
does anyone know if there is financial assistance either for the CLEP/dsst etc tests themselves or for the tesc/coc/exe tuition?
i am pretty sure these answers are elsewhere in the forum or internet but just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head (i will search on my own if no one can help) thanks

On a tax return as a full time student for studying for CLEPs/DSSTs I seriously doubt it. Financial assistance for the test fee's I also seriously doubt that too, financial assistance for tuition possible.
I think you need to be enrolled in school to include on a return but talk to your accountant for guidance. The school will send the tax form that you give to your accountant. IIRC it's a 1098T and includes both tuition & grants. I kept all receipts for CLEP\DSST exams and sitting fees, along with books, supplies, etc and my accountant rolled it all into covered educational expenses.

For financ ial assistance, choose a school (or schools) and complete a FAFSA. Each school will prepare a financial aid package and you then decide which school best suits your needs. You can use any remaining funds from your financial aid to cover exams. You can take the money out of savings and return once the refund check arrives. You could also use one of your credit cards. For example using a 0% balance transfer check, that way you do not pay any interest and then pay off the balance once you recieve the refund check. Be creative and work out whatever payment method benefits you financially.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
If you are a NJ resident and qualify for TAG and you are enrolled in TESC, you can use the TAG grant to pay for TECEP'S. However one of the qualifications for TAG is that you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester.
For the American Opportunity Credit, you must be enrolled in a degree program and complete at least one semester as a half-time student. This is typically 6 credits in a given semester but is determined by what you college considers a half-time enrolled student. I am unaware of any federal aid program for exam based credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 435 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  UMPI---Financial aid---??? midnite123 7 518 09-04-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 524 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 334 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 575 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,192 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 544 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 541 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 920 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
  I want Modern States to be in every student’s wheelhouse bjcheung77 0 533 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM