Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
minimum age for UMPI students YourPace
Hello,

I am wondering what stipulations my youngeer son who will be 18 in a month would have to meet in order to attend UMPI? I heard that students under 20 can request to be admitted on a special case basis provided they have some college credit? He missed the deadline for Youngstown State University for College Credit Plus (dual enrollment program in Ohio), but, he is looking at trying to get accepted for other courses at Kent State University with online classes for either Fall, 2024 or Spring, 2025. Is it recommended to take courses through an RA degree program or state online community colleges like Lorain Community College or Columbus State College? Additionally, it is advisable to take over RA classes over providers like Sophia, Study.com, etc?

He is pursuing an Aviation Maintenance program in his STEM high school and looking to take coursework at Kent State University or another in-state school in Ohio that has an aviation 4 yr bachelor degree program. He has some interest in the Air Force National Guard this path would pay for all of his tuition and give him some good experience working on military aircraft.

He has zero credits right now and we are hoping to utilize free dual enrollment classes to get low cost or free credit.

Thanks

EducationSeeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
Nope, he can try but most likely he won't be able to get in, 20 is the minimum age... He should continue getting credit at the community colleges if they're offered free or cheaper. Another thing he can do is work on CLEP/MS or Sophia.org, depending on his preference of proctors or not... Alternative credit will work for him, up to 90 credits depending on the school he wants to attend next to get his Bachelors.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
“State online community colleges like Lorain Community College or Columbus State College” are Brick and mortar community colleges that offer RA degree programs, some of which are online. Both these community colleges have Transfer articulation agreements with 4 year institutions.
https://explore.cscc.edu/transfers

While it depends on current hiring needs, Aviation tends to not require a bachelor degree, at least at the regional airline level. For example, PSA Airlines only requires a high school diploma and an A&P license.
https://careers-psaairlines.icims.com/jo...chanic/job

After a several years at a 121 regional airline, its possible to move up into the major airlines. A bachelor’s isn’t currently necessary at the majors due to the extremely high demand for qualified mechanics, but a bachelor’s can set you apart from the competition.
https://delta.avature.net/en_US/careers/...obId=23548

It does not matter what bachelor’s degree you get as long as you have one.

I recommend a weird combination of Pierpont community college BOG degree and going to a local community college that has an aviation maintenance program. According to the FAA, one of the ways you may be eligible for an A&P license is “by graduating from an FAA-approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS).” This means rather than going to a 4 year school and paying more for the same education, you can consider schools such as Cincinnati State, Sinclair, Columbus State, etc and qualify for the A&P license once you complete the associates program.

As for the Pierpont recommendation, aviation maintenance programs contain a lot of technical courses, but not many electives. Pierpont is mostly electives and can be completed with 1 RA credit and a combination of Sophia credits and Coursera courses. A Pierpont diploma could be $0 JSU 3 credit course, $299 for 4 months of Sophia plus a $350 Pierpont student fee. If your son loses passion for aviation, he can use the Pierpont Associates to apply for Bachelor of Technical and Applied Studies programs at Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, Bowling Green State University, Kent state University and save 2 years off a 4 year degree. If he graduates from the program, he would have over 100 credits with 60+ being RA.

Edit: Forgot Pierpont BOG required you to have graduated high school 2 years+ ago
Pierpont offers dual enrollment for $25 per credit: https://www.pierpont.edu/admissions/dual-enrollment/

We use it for our youngest online and it's been really good so far. You can supplement with Sophia which Pierpont accepts for dual enrollment, not just for AAS BOG.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(04-20-2024, 10:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nope, he can try but most likely he won't be able to get in, 20 is the minimum age... He should continue getting credit at the community colleges if they're offered free or cheaper.  Another thing he can do is work on CLEP/MS or Sophia.org, depending on his preference of proctors or not... Alternative credit will work for him, up to 90 credits depending on the school he wants to attend next to get his Bachelors.

@bjcheung77

Are there enough alternative service providers of college credits that he could meet Upper Level Gen Ed courses or UL Business courses? I have heard that most of Sophias's courses are LL so I am wondering if he would need to look at UL providers like SDC.com or DANTES?

What is BOG acronym stand for at Pierpoint for the Associates degree and is there a cost for out of state students? I live in a county that is within about 1 hour of WV.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
Board of Governors Associate's degree
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
I forgot you had to be 2 years out of high school so your son would not qualify.
The only cost is $130 ($350 from fall semester on) student fee.
(04-20-2024, 01:18 PM)Hotdogman1 Wrote: “State online community colleges like Lorain Community College or Columbus State College” are Brick and mortar community colleges that offer RA degree programs, some of which are online. Both these community colleges have Transfer articulation agreements with 4 year institutions.
https://explore.cscc.edu/transfers

While it depends on current hiring needs, Aviation tends to not require a bachelor degree, at least at the regional airline level. For example, PSA Airlines only requires a high school diploma and an A&P license.
https://careers-psaairlines.icims.com/jo...chanic/job

After a several years at a 121 regional airline, its possible to move up into the major airlines. A bachelor’s isn’t currently necessary at the majors due to the extremely high demand for qualified mechanics, but a bachelor’s can set you apart from the competition.
https://delta.avature.net/en_US/careers/...obId=23548

It does not matter what bachelor’s degree you get as long as you have one.

I recommend a weird combination of Pierpont community college BOG degree and going to a local community college that has an aviation maintenance program. According to the FAA, one of the ways you may be eligible for an A&P license is “by graduating from an FAA-approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS).” This means rather than going to a 4 year school and paying more for the same education, you can consider schools such as Cincinnati State, Sinclair, Columbus State, etc and qualify for the A&P license once you complete the associates program.

As for the Pierpont recommendation, aviation maintenance programs contain a lot of technical courses, but not many electives. Pierpont is mostly electives and can be completed with 1 RA credit and a combination of Sophia credits and Coursera courses. A Pierpont diploma could be $0 JSU 3 credit course, $299 for 4 months of Sophia plus a $350 Pierpont student fee. If your son loses passion for aviation, he can use the Pierpont Associates to apply for Bachelor of Technical and Applied Studies programs at Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, Bowling Green State University, Kent state University and save 2 years off a 4 year degree. If he graduates from the program, he would have over 100 credits with 60+ being RA.

Hi @Hotdogman1,

I see that Sinclair, Cincinnati, and Columbus State all have Associates or even a Bachelor's degree program (Sinclair) for Aviation Tech Maintenance. It looks like my son could transfer in his A&P certificate he is taking during his Junior and Senior year of High School for about 45 hours and take the remaining credit hours either through one of the community colleges going through a Big 3 program for Business. If he goes for an Aviation Maintenance Bachelor's degreee, it looks like Kent State, Eastern New Mexico University, or Middle Georgia State University (4 years online is less than $20k). He also has an interest in Aeronautical Engineering.

He also has expressed an interest in the Navy or Air Force because he would like to work on military equipment. I suggested the Ohio Air National Guard as they will pay 100% of the tuition cost.

Thanks

EducationSeeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 81 45 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  YourPace Easy Elective Courses? fastest completion Mikeand 20 6,902 Yesterday, 03:33 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 17 1,155 Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 23 1,623 09-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  UMPI Accounting Assistance NewbieLearner 9 340 09-24-2024, 08:51 PM
  Coursera Google PM Cert to UMPI dm.hans32 0 148 09-20-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 5 531 09-19-2024, 08:25 PM
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 583 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 901 09-18-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 93,185 09-18-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs