Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is the word "everyone" a singular or plural
on instantcert.com, one of the exercises says the following:

Detailed Explanation:
Let's look at the answer choices:

choice (b) is wrong. "know" refers to "everyone", which is a plural noun, and requires a plural verb.

choice © is wrong. "company" is a generic word, so it doesn't need to be capitalized. It's only capitalized if it's part of a name; i.e. "Ford Motor Company" choice (d) is the correct answer. "president of the company" is a job title, and doesn't need to be capitalized unless it includes the person's name.

my question is that I thought the word "everyone" is a singular noun, example: we say "is everyone here?" instead of "are everyone here?"

your thoughts?
My understanding is that "everyone" is a singular pronoun. Everyone means every individual and therefore is singular.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
Singular. And, since I have to use 100 characters, can folks still stop using "their" when they mean "his or her" or "he or she?"
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
ya, that's what i thought. So InstantCert.com was WRONG on this?
LaterBloomer Wrote:Singular. And, since I have to use 100 characters, can folks still stop using "their" when they mean "his or her" or "he or she?"

Yes, I agree, and I could go on and on about frequently used grammar errors! But I sometimes knowingly do that mistake myself, when I get tired of having to repeat "his or her".

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
In British English it could be considered plural in some cases. Perhaps that's where the confusion arises.

Grammar Girl : Everybody: Singular or Plural :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
Laceylady, please I make enough gramatical and spelling errors (and typographical ones, too) to fill a book. What gets me is when professionally published works have the gramatical errors. I think that most of the grammar I've learned is simply from absorbing well-edited books. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking great works of art. Harlequin Romances. Now, not only are the stories light-weight, but the editing is non-existent. Unfortunately, I'm now absorbing the bad, too.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Since I'm right in the middle of dealing with this subject, I thought I'd chime in...

"The following words, known as 'indefinite pronouns' always take singular verbs: one, anyone, everyone, someone, nobody, anybody, everybody, somebody, nothing, anything, everything, something, each, either, neither. 'Both' always takes a plural verb" (Langan 495).

Langan, John. College Writing Skills. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2008. Print.

Hope this helps!
LaterBloomer Wrote:Laceylady, please I make enough gramatical and spelling errors (and typographical ones, too) to fill a book. What gets me is when professionally published works have the gramatical errors. I think that most of the grammar I've learned is simply from absorbing well-edited books. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking great works of art. Harlequin Romances. Now, not only are the stories light-weight, but the editing is non-existent. Unfortunately, I'm now absorbing the bad, too.

LaterBloomer, I was agreeing with you. We all make grammar and spelling errors frequently and I certainly make my share of them. I wouldn't expect forum posts or emails to be completely grammatically correct, but in published, "edited" writing I would expect better. I agree, the grammar in professionally published books and magazines can be disappointing.

CLEP:

DSST:

TECEP:

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
Grammar Girl says ...
Grammar Girl : Everybody: Singular or Plural :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A quick word on "Non-Profit" Prloko 18 2,549 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Togas
  URGENT microsoft word format problem HELP??! cookderosa 5 1,252 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Last Post: DSH2007
  A word of warning about test-out degrees. JanusthePhoenix 26 7,413 10-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Last Post: AGVI
  Word 2007 Help Needed! marianne202 1 964 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Last Post: skyfall123
  Are we breaking our word when we post reviews of our exams? Levi 7 1,411 10-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Ruddigore
  I learned a new word today BMWGuinness 1 1,516 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Last Post: QuotableKali1918