Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intro to computing and info sys CLEP
Can someone tell me what these count as at EC and TESC? Are the 2 exams in different categories or the same?

I am in process of getting all my transcipts together and evaluated. I was thinking of taking these while I wait because i am pretty good with computers, but also want to make sure I dont waste my time.

Thanks
pitbull30 Wrote:Can someone tell me what these count as at EC and TESC? Are the 2 exams in different categories or the same?

I am in process of getting all my transcipts together and evaluated. I was thinking of taking these while I wait because i am pretty good with computers, but also want to make sure I dont waste my time.

Thanks

[SIZE="4"]I know Info Systems and Comp. App can go into your area of study for a business degree. It can go in as an elective, of course. It also fits under Nat. Sciences and Mathematics. And that's for TESC. TESC actually recommends you to take a computer course of some sort to put under mathematics. [/SIZE]
is the DSST intro to computing a elective?

I believe I am all filled up as far as electives go. So that is my main concern.

I dont want to do any exams that are elective credits.

Maybe that would be a good topic. "which exams count as electives only"Big Grin
pitbull30 Wrote:is the DSST intro to computing a elective?

I believe I am all filled up as far as electives go. So that is my main concern.

I dont want to do any exams that are elective credits.

Maybe that would be a good topic. "which exams count as electives only"Big Grin
[SIZE="4"]
I don't know about intro to computing, I didn't take that one.
I was first going for a business degree and anything non business and non-general ed. is an elective. For Humanities degree (what I'm doing now) it's pretty much the opposite.

If I knew your degree/major, I might be able to help you more, but I'd go to Thomas Edison State College - Prospective Students - Undergraduate Programs - Degree Programs and check out the specifics for your degree. They'll give you options and hopefully clear up some questions in your mind. [/SIZE]
pitbull30 Wrote:Can someone tell me what these count as at EC and TESC? Are the 2 exams in different categories or the same?

Thanks

I believe the DANTEs version has the programming language BASIC incorporated into the exam ...
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51
pitbull30 Wrote:is the DSST intro to computing a elective?

Pitbull,

Yes, the DSST "Intro to Computing" exam is an elective. However, the CLEP "Information Systems & Computer Applications" exam can be used to meet the requirement for "Computers" under the Business Core Requirements of the Excelsior BS-Business degree.

Hope that helps!

JoAnne Big Grin
JoAnne
are you referring to the Dantes Mangamement information systems?
IF so I was just speacking to Chris an Advisor at EC, she said that it was added to the Business componet and not the electives
mapalo Wrote:JoAnne
are you referring to the Dantes Mangamement information systems?
IF so I was just speacking to Chris an Advisor at EC, she said that it was added to the Business componet and not the electives

Mapalo,

The DANTES "Management Information Systems" is an entirely different exam from the other two mentioned above (there are actually 3 computer-related exams). This MIS exam can apply towards the 12 "advanced level business credits" you need for the EC Business degree.

So we have:

CLEP "Information Systems & Computer Applications" - applies toward "Computer" requirement for EC Business degree

DSST "Intro to Computing" - elective

DSST "Management Information Systems" - Upper level exam that counts towards EC advanced level business credits

So that is why your advisor told you the MIS exam applies toward the business component.

Hope that helps!

JoAnne Smile
Just out of curiosity is the MIS exam typically upper level credit at other schools too? TESC perhaps?
pitbull30 Wrote:Just out of curiosity is the MIS exam typically upper level credit at other schools too? TESC perhaps?

Pitbull,

My guess is that it would be counted as an upper level exam at other schools, but I am not enrolled at TESC so I couldn't say for sure. Any TESC students out there who could tell us??

JoAnne

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 508 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 986 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,848 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,360 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,319 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  RBA Degree Info? learningthehardway 17 2,391 05-12-2022, 10:17 AM
Last Post: learningthehardway
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,075 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Help finding a thread (or info) on FAFS reconsideration based on lower 2020 income studyingfortests 2 638 11-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,644 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP