Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
georgia tech online masters
I think when people ask "does it say Online?" they aren't worried about people knowing they took online classes, but more worried if the school has a separate "Online campus" or similar with different (typically lower) standards.

I don't think this is actually common at all, but I understand why people worry about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-04-2024, 07:10 PM)fmsoa Wrote: 3- does the degree say that its an online degree or just like any other degree

As an OMSCS alum, let me tell you an open HR secret: EVERYONE knows your degree is ONLINE. Do not assume HR is stupid.
In fact, it is just simple math and common sense. There are currently >13,000 OMSCS but only ~400 in-person graduate students. And how can you study in Atlanta while working in, let's say, New York, Seattle, Toronto, or Mumbai?
Above all what's wrong with an online degree?

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with an online degree, and in 2024, most people don't really mind it anymore. I really think it is a myth at this point, at least here in the US, that schools put "online" on the diploma. To my knowledge, no university in the USA does this, not TESU, WGU, Excelsior, or even the University of Phoenix. I tried Googling and even asked ChatGPT while respond to OP eariler, but I couldn’t find any US university that put "online" on their diplomas.

I think the main point OP was trying to make isnn't about whether the degree is online or not. It's about whether the degree is the same as the one offered on campus, rather than being part of a separate adult or continuing education program.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Enrolled: 01/2024 (2 down, 8 to go!)
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

I don't know of any university that offers online degrees and puts "online" on them. However, here is why people ask. Two examples.

Purdue University is a well-known, respected, major university.
Purdue University Global is part of the Purdue system, a separate university with separate accreditation and a separate chancellor, but with a similar name.
Purdue University Global diplomas say "Purdue University Global."

Penn State is a well-known, respected, major university.
Penn State World Campus is Penn State's online-centered division, which offers degrees and certifications via an online format.
Penn State World Campus diplomas simply say "Penn State" because the World Campus is actually part of the same university, not another campus in a system.

This may be obvious to people on this board, but for people who are new to this world, it is not super obvious why these two are different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • sarahmac
(08-04-2024, 08:05 PM)Kjnova Wrote: I don't know of any university that offers online degrees and puts "online" on them. However, here is why people ask. Two examples.

Purdue University is a well-known, respected, major university.
Purdue University Global is part of the Purdue system, a separate university with separate accreditation and a separate chancellor, but with a similar name.
Purdue University Global diplomas say "Purdue University Global."

Penn State is a well-known, respected, major university.
Penn State World Campus is Penn State's online-centered division, which offers degrees and certifications via an online format.
Penn State World Campus diplomas simply say "Penn State" because the World Campus is actually part of the same university, not another campus in a system.

This may be obvious to people on this board, but for people who are new to this world, it is not super obvious why these two are different.

I think this hits the nail on the head and is often what people really mean when they ask about this. UAGC, UMass Global etc. all fall into this group too. Technically separate universities that happen to be federated with a brand name one.

Then there is the Harvard Extension School issue where the degree is issued by an online format only division or school. UCLA Extension sort of exists in that space too, although they don't offer full degrees only certificates and certain classes. I guess this is probably more what the poster was concerned with re the OMSCS. Is it still issued by the CS department the same as the in-person one, and is the degree the same.

As an aside: the Penn State WC case is a funny case since Penn State *is* a campus based system - and usually satellite campus students actually do have their campus on the diploma. But WC is based out of the flagship campus at University Park (so UP students can take WC classes, and WC students living near UP can take classes in person). My husband switched from Penn State Behrend to WC so he could get a main campus diploma instead of a Behrend one.
[-] The following 2 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • Kjnova, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 11 815 4 hours ago
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program coolvodka89@gmail.com 5 243 09-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 31 12,506 09-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 905 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Need Help Choosing an Online MBA Program iamsam 8 570 09-15-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: HoustonGuy
  FHSU to offer MLS in Philosophy Online? MFG 9 1,096 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 54 38,319 08-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 450 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Cheap online MSSE or MSI? evenFair23 1 374 08-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CU Boulder Masters on Coursera spohara 17 8,075 08-15-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: spohara