Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Question: MOOCS, etc
Hello guys. I mentioned before I have a B&M AA (journalism). Now I'm studying for the Civil War DSST.

My question: I'm curious about the usefulness of MOOCs et al for a degree. Is there any way to get credit? Through PLAs? I'm taking a MOOC in Human and Sex Trafficking from Moody and curious about the constitution class from Hillsdale... Can these help me in any way other than personal?
Thanks!

A
AmeliaC Wrote:Hello guys. I mentioned before I have a B&M AA (journalism). Now I'm studying for the Civil War DSST.

My question: I'm curious about the usefulness of MOOCs et al for a degree. Is there any way to get credit? Through PLAs? I'm taking a MOOC in Human and Sex Trafficking from Moody and curious about the constitution class from Hillsdale... Can these help me in any way other than personal?
Thanks!

A

MOOCS can help you develop a PLA portfolio. This article touches on that and you will note the remarks from Learning Counts. They are equipped to handle it and I'm actually planning to complete a few PLAs that way. It's really not much different than completing a portfolio based on training acquired in the format of another class. I have taken free online classes and workshops elsewhere and used that training and the assignments to develop portfolios. However, you will need to match your learning with the course outcomes of a class at a regionally accredited college (if Moody and Hillsdale aren't).
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Moody is regionally accredited, so she should get credit for the current class she's in unless she opted not to take it for credit.

I am planning to take Coursera's MOOC in human trafficking. I believe I probably already know the bulk of the course content, but as the last user suggested - I am planning to aim for a number of upper-level PLA credits in sexual economics, human sex trafficking, exploitation, etc. I worked "in the industry" for 14 years traveling nationally, & have written/documented a lot about it, so getting credit for it shouldn't be too hard. More people really should take human trafficking courses though, especially people going into criminal justice, homeland security, & psychology. There is an extreme lack of understanding & resources to help victims.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
The only issue is that the MOOC isn't part of a credit bearing program. Moody is now accredited which is good news (no pun intended) if you were actually enrolled there, but taking the MOOC will expand your knowledge and allow you to put together a folio to see if you can gain credit through a prior learning assessment which some people deem too time consuming since there is no options for gaining credit for such an interesting course currently other than PLA that should be the way to go.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
BTW Hillsdale is also RA.
I just wanted to clarify something about MOOCs and regional accreditation. If the OP is taking a MOOC for his/her own personal knowledge, regional accreditation doesn't matter. To get credit for having obtained such knowledge, a portfolio consisting of takeaways from the MOOC is a great idea. In order to get credit for the portfolio, you have to show that the learning matches that of a class from a regionally accredited college.

This is a perfect example of the usefulness of portfolios. The OP presumably has an interest in writing (journalism major) and is obviously interested in the topics and will be taking the classes anyway. Why not get credit for the time and the knowledge? Also nice additions to a professional portfolio.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 63 8,613 09-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: wow
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 334 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 246 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,918 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Question about LawShelf TINASAM 6 474 07-04-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,945 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,804 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 820 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 702 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore